The greatest cyclist ever - let us hear your views.

eddy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to detract, but looking at Merckx's record you can't help but wonder what the level of competition was like in those years. For one rider to be so dominant in so many different phasets of the sport... it's unheard of in the modern era.

Jeanne Longo

I was wondering when she would make an appearance. Definitely worthy and other than Marita Koch possibly the greatest female athlete ever.

Greatest cyclist Eddy Merckx

Greatest TDF rider Lance Armstrong

Best overall athlete Lance Armstrong (running,swimming, MTB, road cycling, triathlon) thumbup1.gif

Eddy without a doubt. Hiw win ration is the best, he also won just about everything.

Also don't forget all the 6-Day track events he won. He rode with Patrick Sercu most of the time.

If there was mountain biking in the day, he would've probably ridden that too :-)

If you want to exclude dopers you can exclude every Pro Tour team rider basicly.... Its the game. Do some research on it. Also read tyler hamilton's new book. It is a eye opener for some people.

OK, maybe i should read Hamiltons book and do some research because i didn't know that...........

Jeanne Longo

Yeah, in my opinion gotta be one of the worlds best athletes, and still competitive. Leontien van Moorsel was another great woman cyclist, retired now but one of the best.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Marianne Vos (25 years old, so many more victories to come)!

Eddie gets my vote, but I agree that was a different era.

Female Marianne Vos will get my vote. Track, road cyclocross she does it all.

Edited by scotty

Marianne Vos (25 years old, so many more victories to come)!

Eddie gets my vote, but I agree that was a different era.

Marianne Vos is from another planet.

She can race.