The greatest cyclist ever - let us hear your views.

eddy

Merckx

Anquetil

Hinault

Indurain

Contador (work in progress)

Armstrong

Interesting, why do you put LA below say hinault or indurain ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Merckx is probably the most "complete" cyclist of all times. Armstrong comes in a close 2nd but i think he is the most tactical cyclist of all time. Hinault and Indurain follows them in any order

+1 on LA being the most tactical. He changed racing completely (not talking doping here) much like Sky did this year.

Interesting, why do you put LA below say hinault or indurain ?

If it was a TdF rankings only then Armstrong would move up but what about the Vuelta and the Giro?

I specifically did not want his to degenerate into a doping thread, hence my request.

I am happy to delete it.

Was a joke

+1 on LA being the most tactical. He changed racing completely (not talking doping here) much like Sky did this year.

Strategically, i'd tend to agree with you.

But tactically i thought he was quite limited. He had a strong team that controlled the race for him and put him in front on the big climbs where he would extend a lead he often established in the ITT.

I wonder how he would have coped without race radio ?

Ps. The only time he had to chase anybody on his own was Filippo Simeoni ..............

Most will agree that Merckx was the greatest. Coppi should also be added to the list.

I agree eddy, race radio has changed the game.

Okay, we are talking about stage racing here and not classics (one day), track, sprint or time trial so why don't we count grand tour wins:

Note: includes titles stripped for doping.

Merckx 11

Hinault 10

Anquetil 8

Coppi 7

Armstrong 7

Contador 7

Indurain 7

Le Mond 3

Edited by TZmtb

Going to be a very short list. At this point I'm tempted to throw my own hat in the ring. I'm pretty sure I've never doped.

Hahaha!

What criteria though, Eddy?

The Jensie and Spartikus

They might not have the wins, but they bring a certain untainted passion and spirit to cycling. I love watching them ride and interact with the rest of the riders.

Okay, we are talking about stage racing here and not classics (one day), track, sprint or time trial so why don't we count grand tour wins:

Note: includes titles stripped for doping.

Merckx 11

Hinault 10

Anquetil 8

Armstrong 7

Contador 7

Indurain 7

Le Mond 3

Coppi must have at least 5?

Coppi has 7 (2 TdF & 5 Giros)

Edited by jcza

Merckx is probably the most "complete" cyclist of all times. Armstrong comes in a close 2nd but i think he is the most tactical cyclist of all time. Hinault and Indurain follows them in any order

agree with your thoughts on Armstrong , he had a fine tactical brain in Johan Bruyneel backing him with cc tv and a strong team dedicated to him winning the GC in the TdF. pre cancer he was a domestique, then team leader with various small teams, you could almost compare him to Thomas Voeckler.

Grand Tour Podiums

Name Giro Vuelta Total

Jacques Anquetil 6 6 1 13

Bernard Hinault 7 3 2 12

Eddy Merckx 6 5 1 12

Felice Gimondi 2 9 1 12

Raymond Poulidor 8 0 2 10

Gino Bartali 3 7 0 10

Miguel Induráin 5 3 1 9

Fausto Coppi 2 7 0 9

Lance Armstrong * 8 0 0 8

Joop Zoetemelk 7 0 1 8

Pedro Delgado 3 0 5 8

If you look at Grand Tour stage wins then Merckx is No. 1 with Cipollini second.

Edited by jcza