Recovery - what works?

STF for me....worked like a bomb after VG marathon on SS. I have noticed that any ride with a TRIMP score above 600 on my training load in Sporttracks, I normally need a shake.

Maybe its just me but wtflip is STF and TRIMP

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its just me but wtflip is STF and TRIMP

STF = SingleTrackFuel....new recovery shake started using since this weekend....got a sample and impressed with it sofar. Testing the marathon fuel this weekend but the recovery stuff works well.

TRIMP = TRaining IMPulse...Its a score given ito how hard a certain workout or ride was. Comes standard in the training load plugin

Dextrose/B12 drip... works wonders for a hangover too - as does sleeping on oxygen.

A real favorite of pro cycling teams on multi day races.

I think one of the key causes of training fatigue is upping the training load at the same time as trying to lose weight - that's a sure fire way to drop your resistance and fall ill - much better to eat properly and well on the hard weeks, and drop weight in the easy/recovery weeks.

I can tell you what I don't like.

Compression garments. An ugly uncomfortable stupid looking placebo.

Ice baths. Give me a break. I hurt myself for hours on a bike now when it all finally ends I must get in ice water up to my nuts for 10 minutes to prolong and experience a new kind of pain. I don't think so

I find massaging the tired legs with Arnica Gel works for me. Even if I have to do it myself.

thumbup1.gif

Get bloodflow to the ol muscle tissues, promoting the recovery process.

I can tell you what I don't like.

Compression garments. An ugly uncomfortable stupid looking placebo.

Ice baths. Give me a break. I hurt myself for hours on a bike now when it all finally ends I must get in ice water up to my nuts for 10 minutes to prolong and experience a new kind of pain. I don't think so

I don't give a damn what the incentive is, I will NOT freeze my nuts for any amount of recovery! But I will do a bag of frozen peas on a bruised area after a crash or an injury.

A proper warm down after a ride/intervals is very important.

when you get home, drink lots of water!

if you really need it have a recovery drink ( i use PVM or cadence revive)

Eat a proper meal.

i believe in recovery socks/pants. But just putting your legs up against a wall to get the blood out off them works also i guess.

Do a light spin in the evening( use rollers or just go around the block)

Arnica/deep heat cream. just make sure to wash your hands ( it hurts on certain areas unsure.png)

This is just my opinion. thumbup1.gif

I watched Dr Jeroem Swart on Supercycling the other day and he mentioned that there is no scientific basis for ice baths... I find when I increase my training I am constantly sore and stiff. My mates who ride with me on some weekends have been extremely supportive and offerred some awesome advice and moral support by advising me to take two EXTRA LARGE DOSES of HTFU! ...and an extra box of tissues for the ride ....Thanks guys...huh.png

Edited by Ryanie

I watched Dr Jeroem Swart on Supercycling the other day and he mentioned that there is no scientific basis for ice baths... I find when I increase my training I am constantly sore and stiff. My mates who ride with me on some weekends have been extremely supportive and offerred some awesome advice and moral support by advising me to take two EXTRA LARGE DOSES of HTFU! ...and an extra box of tissues for the ride ....Thanks guys...huh.png

You doing any stretching after rides? My stretching regime takes good 20 minutes and makes all the difference.

You doing any stretching after rides? My stretching regime takes good 20 minutes and makes all the difference.

Slick I have to be honest no... I did in the beginning but got lazy...and therein perhaps lies my answer...ph34r.png

Slick I have to be honest no... I did in the beginning but got lazy...and therein perhaps lies my answer...ph34r.png

I have to. I had back surgery when I was 16 and if I don't stretch properly I can barely walk for a couple of days. Cycling shortens the hamstrings and many cyclists cannot even touch their toes with straight legs. The most important muscles to stretch are the hamstrings and the glutes followed by the quads, lower back, hip flexors, abductors and calves. I do shoulders and neck in the shower under hot water.

I have to. I had back surgery when I was 16 and if I don't stretch properly I can barely walk for a couple of days. Cycling shortens the hamstrings and many cyclists cannot even touch their toes with straight legs. The most important muscles to stretch are the hamstrings and the glutes followed by the quads, lower back, hip flexors, abductors and calves. I do shoulders and neck in the shower under hot water.

My hamstrings and back are the killers! I will be stretching after every ride from now on!

Instead of trying all the gimmicks, go back to basics and science! Find out why you are sore? What happened in your body and your muscles? For example, if it's your muscles tearing from hard sprint/interval work, you might need protein to help with the repair and then obviously you have to rest for the repairs to be done. I guess the same would apply to lactic threshold training. Very easy rides can also help, but that has also been proven scientifically not to really work, although the placebo effect is very strong, e.g. easy spinning gets rid of the lactic acid. Very simplistic explanation, but you get the idea. It's actually very interesting to learn more about the body and what happens during exercise.

Good luck with the ramp-up! I'm sure you're going to pick the fruits of your training later!