Coronation DC - holes in the road

PeterM

The only hole in the road I know of is the one between Ashton and the Drew turnoff, which doesn't affect the race route, but does affect how you get there.

If you are coming from the N1, when going through Robertson, head towards Bonnievale and follow the race route to Swellendam.

That would be good news, K!

post-3456-0-03235900-1351684937_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t think so – Last night I chatted to another cyclist who is training for the Epic and he wrote on that R60 road a few days ago. He described it as I see it on the photo. So there are two unrelated confirmations (DC website, Epic cyclist) of the pic.

Someone had posted a photo on facebook a while back - Bonnievale cellars shared it, but the road didn't look that bad at the time. Guess the added rains made it worse.

My cycling mate Reinhardt emailed us saying that: DC “holes in the road” on the R60, Ashton to Swellendam road closed.

I checked the DC website and they said that there are aware of the problem.

And than Reinhardt sent us some pics.

didn't believe it at first, but it's definitely the right spot

http://goo.gl/maps/3g97I

what would the best way to go to Swellendam from Montague? We stay there the Friday night...blush.png

Die beste pad sal wees Bonnievale toe, links in die dorp reguit by kaas winkel verby DRew toe, by Drew gaan jy reguit oor die DC roete pad op die grondpad wat tot in Swellendam loop. Van Ashton af kan jy reguit op die Swellendam pad ook kom Drew toe (gaan om dromme by Bonnievale afdraai) moet net nie by die Drew afdraai se dromme verby ry nie, die gat is daarna.

Die beste pad sal wees Bonnievale toe, links in die dorp reguit by kaas winkel verby DRew toe, by Drew gaan jy reguit oor die DC roete pad op die grondpad wat tot in Swellendam loop. Van Ashton af kan jy reguit op die Swellendam pad ook kom Drew toe (gaan om dromme by Bonnievale afdraai) moet net nie by die Drew afdraai se dromme verby ry nie, die gat is daarna.

Nooit gedink ek sal die sin tik nie...

"Dankie Skollie!!" thumbup1.gif biggrin.png

See attached doc/pic. Had a closer look at the site via Google earth (picture & data is not live and is normally a few months old).

Interestingly, it shows the previously repaired section and the most likely cause – a dam behind it. Possibly, after our excessive winter rains, it overflowed, the road stormwater drainage was maybe blocked, and existing cracks/holes/furrows maybe caused the road foundation to be washed away.

Doc2.doc

Edited by PeterM

Klink my hulle gaan probeer om die pad voor die 14de Des oop te maak, bietjie laat vir die DC. Daar is glo 'n ompad om die gat oor 'n damwal, maar die is glo te klein om verkeer te dra, dalk kan hulle die fietse daarlangs vat.

Okay, i think(!!) this is offical route decision, as per posting on a seperate section of TheHubSA:

As the 24th of November draws near the team behind the scenes are extremely busy with last minute preparations. By now most of you will have heard about the “collapse” of a section of road approximately 15km before Swellendam. Needless to say this has posed us all with some huge challenges as this section of road forms the last piece of the route of the Coronation Double Century.

We have been working extremely closely with the Provincial Dept of Transport and MEC Robin Carlisle as well as the contractors VELA VKE. What we do know as a certainty is that as a result of the extent of the damage, the repairs to the road will not be completed by the date of the event. We have considered a variety of options and have come up with what we believe is the best possible solution to ensure that the event does in fact take place.

Here are the facts:

• The event will take place as planned

• The start and finish venue will remain in Swellendam

• There will be a compulsory portage point at the site of collapsed road approximately 15km before Swellendam on the R60.

• The estimated distance across the portage point is 350m on a newly created gravel road

• Support vehicles will be diverted to Swellendam via a gravel road approximately 18km before Swellendam (3km before the collapse)

While we realise that this is not an ideal situation, we do however believe, it is the most practical solution that allows us to proceed with the event with the least amount of inconvenience to all concerned. As the R60 is closed we are encouraging all teams travelling to Swellendam to avoid the road between Ashton and Swellendam as this will result in lengthy detours

It is extremely important that the drivers of support vehicles attend the compulsory pre event briefings, as last minute changes will be detailed at these sessions.

On behalf of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust we would also like to extend our sincere thanks to The Provincial Government, Vela VKE and the good folk of Swellendam, for all the help and assistance that has been provided in ensuring that we are able to continue with the event as planned. We look forward to welcoming you all to Swellendam on the 24th of November

The Coronation Double Century organising team

Email from CDC

So guys what are your thoughts on the 30 minute stop at Ashton that won't count against you team?? Are you gonna use this rule to your advantage or just gonna ignore it and take a short break and continue. The time gets stopped when the sixth rider crosses the timing mat at the stop point - so are you going to send your 6 strongest ahead to stop the time and let the other six then catch up?

So guys what are your thoughts on the 30 minute stop at Ashton that won't count against you team?? Are you gonna use this rule to your advantage or just gonna ignore it and take a short break and continue. The time gets stopped when the sixth rider crosses the timing mat at the stop point - so are you going to send your 6 strongest ahead to stop the time and let the other six then catch up?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/123100-double-century-half-hour-stop/