Geometry lesson required

Raab

So through sheer luck I managed to source a GT Peace from a fellow hubber.

Now I want to put a suspension fork on it but the Peace's geo is designed to be run on 80mm of travel.

Now my question to you seasoned builders is the following: I have the option to purchase a 100mm non-adjustable fork, how would this affect the handling of the bike?

It comes down to either going with a higher specced fork (eg REBA 100mm non-adjustable) vs lower spec (eg Recon Silver that can be adjusted to 80mm).

Thanks guys!

When you say "adjustable" do you mean like U-turn. ie, a dial on the fork where the travel can be adjusted?

If so, don't stress. One can still adjust the internals of a Rock Shox fork with spacers. Right now my Revelation is in at the LBS getting dropped from 140 to 110mm via internal spacers,

So through sheer luck I managed to source a GT Peace from a fellow hubber.

Now I want to put a suspension fork on it but the Peace's geo is designed to be run on 80mm of travel.

Now my question to you seasoned builders is the following: I have the option to purchase a 100mm non-adjustable fork, how would this affect the handling of the bike?

It comes down to either going with a higher specced fork (eg REBA 100mm non-adjustable) vs lower spec (eg Recon Silver that can be adjusted to 80mm).

Thanks guys!

I say slap on the 100mm.

Just to be safe what is the axle to crown length of the original fork and of the Reba?

When you say "adjustable" do you mean like U-turn. ie, a dial on the fork where the travel can be adjusted?

If so, don't stress. One can still adjust the internals of a Rock Shox fork with spacers. Right now my Revelation is in at the LBS getting dropped from 140 to 110mm via internal spacers,

I say slap on the 100mm.

Just to be safe what is the axle to crown length of the original fork and of the Reba?

I was referring to the adjusting of the travel by means of internal spacers, I find it strange that the REBA would not be adjustable through this process but will have to make sure there is no miscommunication between myslef and the seller.

Thanks guys, let me follow up on this

Yo Raab ... I imagine when you got the Peace it had a rigid fork?

Is so then don't worry as 20% sag on a 100mm fork puts you back on 80mm and if it had a 80mm fork on don't worry either as that bike would be able to handle it.

second Yo Raab ... if you can afford the Reba then get it over the Recon silver .... it is a far better fork and will also weigh less.

Edited by Hairy

GT Peace only work with a rigid fork. Klaar.

GT Peace in order to have any cred will run one gear. It is a rigid, steel single speed, it just don't do suspension.

If you persist, it would be better to just give the bike to someone who can appreciate these things. (Maybe give it back to the previous owner).

However, if you continue, expect to be ridiculed by other GT peace owners. Yes you will be able to ride along with the SS community, just like JuJu is allowed at ANC rallies, and Zille is allowed to visit Zuma's new crib. But you will know that you have desicrated some sacred design tenant.

HTFU and ride rigid. Spend the money you would have used for the fork on beer.

Period.

End van prent....logic will prevail

GT Peace only work with a rigid fork. Klaar.

GT Peace in order to have any cred will run one gear. It is a rigid, steel single speed, it just don't do suspension.

If you persist, it would be better to just give the bike to someone who can appreciate these things. (Maybe give it back to the previous owner).

However, if you continue, expect to be ridiculed by other GT peace owners. Yes you will be able to ride along with the SS community, just like JuJu is allowed at ANC rallies, and Zille is allowed to visit Zuma's new crib. But you will know that you have desicrated some sacred design tenant.

HTFU and ride rigid. Spend the money you would have used for the fork on beer.

Period.

I injured my right wrist quite badly a few months ago and it has not recovered 100% yet, so I am a bit unconvinced of going rigid just yet.

RAAB, ignore that JHB and Oranje lot ... slap on some suspension and ride the bike hard on the trails ..... they only have graded gravel in their neck of the woods to ride ph34r.png

Edited by Hairy

dammit, for years I have thought that geometry was my strong side RE maths....this thread went over my head the 1st time and then I had to read it again to understand what you guys are saying....I was drawing triangles in my mind just reading the topic.

I need to hang out more with okes that actually puts bikes together AND TEST THEM!

I'll get a better understanding if I could test the bikes with the different geometries, in my mind I cant picture the actual feel of the different senarios. dry.png

dammit, for years I have thought that geometry was my strong side RE maths....this thread went over my head the 1st time and then I had to read it again to understand what you guys are saying....I was drawing triangles in my mind just reading the topic.

I need to hang out more with okes that actually puts bikes together AND TEST THEM!

I'll get a better understanding if I could test the bikes with the different geometries, in my mind I cant picture the actual feel of the different senarios. dry.png

Sorry H .. .will still be a while before you can go play on bikes :(