EPO as a recreational cyclist

Dirtbreath

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But WHY???

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/in-search-of-relevance-a-cat-3-turns-to-epo-and-hgh_232611

An interesting take on the psychology of amateur racers and their need to cheat....

"David Anthony didn’t think they’d test him. It was a gran fondo, and he didn’t win. He’d never been tested before. Why now?

“I knew there was going to be testing there. But I really did not think I was going to do well in that event, certainly not be tested,” Anthony said. “I was a little bit shocked when I got the strong-arm of the chaperone.”"

http://velonews.comp...-and-hgh_232611

An interesting take on the psychology of amateur racers and their need to cheat....

"David Anthony didn’t think they’d test him. It was a gran fondo, and he didn’t win. He’d never been tested before. Why now?

“I knew there was going to be testing there. But I really did not think I was going to do well in that event, certainly not be tested,” Anthony said. “I was a little bit shocked when I got the strong-arm of the chaperone.”"

My comment refers to...

RECREATIONAL... cyclist.

Who do you want to beat, Kevin Evans, Bradley Wiggins, or the FAT guy on the 200k Pinarello next to you.

Absolute stupidity!!!

Biggest and best competitor, compete against yourself!!!

You know, that little voice in your head...

Those alone days where you hear everything but you haven't said a word...

Yes that guy!!! No amount of EPO will get you to beat him.

Train insane or remain the same

My comment refers to...

RECREATIONAL... cyclist.

Absolute stupidity!!!

Biggest and best competitor, compete against yourself!!!

Yip, agree with you, but this dude was a recreational cyclist who did the training and beat the fat guy on the expensive bike and felt good about it.

Then thought if he doped, he could beat the thin guy as well and would feel even better about it.

It turns out it did not work that way........

Sorry, you are right, I edited my earlier post !

Why not??

IF you KNOW the risks associated with it and still go on and use it...??

In my opinion - you then DESERVE what comming your way...it will certainly not be accidental...

You missed my point, I don't want 'two leagues' - it would be the same as now (dopers and non-dopers in the same race) but we (non-dopers) can get the f on with what we're there for - having fun on our bikes. And then the people that don't know jack about cycling (and this whole doping saga) can stop bitching about 'dirty cyclists' We'd still not be worried about getting a podium (because face it, it's not gonna happen in any case) and they can eff themselves up royally. Then, maybe, the sponsors will wake up a little and spend their money elsewhere - say middle of the pack spot prizes / goody bags? But then again, I may as well hope for alien contact biggrin.png

so then whats different to how it is now? there's guys that are doping and you're racing against them, so why sanction it?

Yip, agree with you, but this dude was a recreational cyclist who did the training and beat the fat guy on the expensive bike and felt good about it.

Then thought if he doped, he could beat the thin guy as well and would feel even better about it.

It turns out it did not work that way........

Still, doping for money or to earn a living is WAAAYYY different from doping to perform better in a weekly club ride...

I stand on my opinion:

ABSOLUTE stupidity (recreational...)

Cool. Took it a bit personally, sorry. I'm just curious about what lengths back markers would go to. The things I've seen in the back of the packs where I used to bide my time were shocking. EPO use back there would not surprise me.

Guys...guys...

All this "back marker EPO use" are mainly based on hearsay..."a mate of mine" and such drivel...

where are some facts??

I'm naive enough to believe that Joe Ssoap in the middle & back of the race does not give a rat ass about EPO use...

we need to get down to the facts...what percentage of peeps are we talking about?? 1% less than 1% ??

I believe that taking these "supplements" should be legalised,then everyone can be on the same playing field.

It will also mean that more education can be published on each drug ie at the moment I suspect many recreational athletes take some form of "supplement" but not taking the correct dosage (through ignorance)..

Another thought I have, is just how "bad" are these drugs for one,I am sure many athletes use one drug or another and you never hear of anyone dying.Yes,there were a few in time gone by but I think that was probably from from overuse.

It would be interesting to get someone like Tim Noakes on Supercycling to give an honest and open account on this subject.If you decide to use "something" it would then be your choice.It would be similar to choosing to ride a 29er and another a 27er OR buying an Uno or a 4x4 etc

I guess this is very topical at the moment & everyone will have their own thoughts/ideas.

Does anyone have a stronger pair of legs for me :)

Guys...guys...

All this "back marker EPO use" are mainly based on hearsay..."a mate of mine" and such drivel...

where are some facts??

I'm naive enough to believe that Joe Ssoap in the middle & back of the race does not give a rat ass about EPO use...

we need to get down to the facts...what percentage of peeps are we talking about?? 1% less than 1% ??

That is the question. I've seen serious agro and near punch ups between guys who are just in front of the sweeper scrambler. WTF? What lengths would somebody like that go to in order to push themselves up the results table?

I have no idea but wouldnt be surprised if it is happening.

A suggestion would be for someone to run an anonymous poll:

Q1: "Have you ever used PEDs in the past?"

Q2: "Have you used recently, or currently using?"

Q3: "If you've never taken before, but if you had access to them, and were sure you'd never be tested for them (i.e. middle pack rider), would you be open to trying them out?"

Comparing questions against each other, you could get an idea of current situation but also the current rate of growth of PEDs, and the potential future growth.

That is the question. I've seen serious agro and near punch ups between guys who are just in front of the sweeper scrambler. WTF? What lengths would somebody like that go to in order to push themselves up the results table?

Sadly I can't club this seal no longer, but there is no end to ego.

Another thought I have, is just how "bad" are these drugs for one,I am sure many athletes use one drug or another and you never hear of anyone dying.Yes,there were a few in time gone by but I think that was probably from from overuse.

It would be interesting to get someone like Tim Noakes on Supercycling to give an honest and open account on this subject.If you decide to use "something" it would then be your choice.It would be similar to choosing to ride a 29er and another a 27er OR buying an Uno or a 4x4 etc

I suggest you follow the thread on HGH useage a little, rather than retype a lot here.

1 - How bad are the drugs - often VERY - ask your family if they want you to take the risks - unfortunately you don't often see much press around the deaths and complications, but they are well studied in the profession - MANY MANY deaths and many more long term complications and degraded quality of living. Unfortunately the cause of death as published usually shows the direct cause, so carcinoma of the liver is the cause of death - the cause of the carcinoma - steriod use, is often not mentioned (most probably not).

Often these health problems manifest themselves years after cessation of drug use, so the link is not always made public.

2 - Why would it be interesting for Tim to give his opinion? - everyone knows what it is - He is very vocally anti drug use in sports, and especially amongs kids - VERY - read up. But the bottom line is - you cannot force people to take drugs to level a playing field - you can force them not to.

A suggestion would be for someone to run an anonymous poll:

Q1: "Have you ever used PEDs in the past?"

Q2: "Have you used recently, or currently using?"

Q3: "If you've never taken before, but if you had access to them, and were sure you'd never be tested for them (i.e. middle pack rider), would you be open to trying them out?"

Comparing questions against each other, you could get an idea of current situation but also the current rate of growth of PEDs, and the potential future growth.

Q1; NO

Q2; NO

Q3; NO, why, to beat the fat guy on the 200k Pinarello???

Spend my money on a new bike and then ride my new bike in NICE places

Sorry - i haven't seen THAT before...usually, when that sweeper vehichle comes around...I pedal like white hot ****!!! Can't face being stone cold last... third last is sooo much better... ;))

so then whats different to how it is now? there's guys that are doping and you're racing against them, so why sanction it?

Less newspaper stories :)