DVO Suspension - Emerald Inverted DH Fork

Super_mil

The return of inverted DH forks.

They do look very interesting. Not sure I like the green though...

Read the full story here --> http://www.pinkbike....-look-2012.html

It has only been a short seven months since DVO, short for Developed Suspension, was formed after Bryson Martin and engineer Josh Baltaxe departed from Marzocchi. Bryson, who has been in the suspension game for 23 years, quickly began outlining a plan to offer something different than what consumers may be used to, not just from a product standpoint, but from a company approach that contrasts with what many have come to expect. ''I really wanted to do it right, so we needed everything all under one roof and that’s what we have accomplished,'' declares Martin. ''Now that all the ideas, designing, and engineering all happen in one place, it’s a lot easier to set goals and execute on them.'' It wasn't long before both Tom Rogers (product development) and Ronnie Dilan (head technician) left Marzocchi to join Martin and Baltaxe and plans were laid for DVO's debut fork. Whereas the current major suspension players all offer a massive range of products to choose from, DVO plans on producing a limited selection of high-end products, beginning with the 203mm travel, inverted Emerald shown here on Pinkbike for the first time.

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8895391/p4pb8895391.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont Work! ... think that fox tried to reinvent the upside down fork (Gee rode one in teh USA a while back) and they said they just couldnt get the stiffness without making it super heavy!

Ya almost all new MX forks are inverted. But they weigh a ton in comparison. Not sure exactly what the issues are - but i recall all the inverted MTB forks have been plagued by problems with stiffness vs weight.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can impart some wisdom!

aren't most motocross forks inverted forks? I also dont understand how turning it upsite down affects the stiffness?

yup, most dirt bike forks are inverted.

As for the stiffness, on MTB there's a loss in that the inverted fork doesn't have a bridge. Take the Dorado for instance

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/old_images/news/Dorado-front325mar09.jpg

yup, most dirt bike forks are inverted.

As for the stiffness, on MTB there's a loss in that the inverted fork doesn't have a bridge. Take the Dorado for instance

Ya if you thinkk of a normal boxxer - the lowers (Outers) have 2 points where they are stiffened laterally - the bridge (Brake arch), and the through axle.

Then the uppers (Inner stantions) also have 2 points of stiffness in the crowns.

On an upside down fork the inners only have 1 point of stiffness - the throughaxle - and therefore would have more flex in the bush area.

(I think) ........

Ah. No bridge would def affect stiffness, however i see the emerald does have one....

No that is not a true bridge - that is just a bridge across the stantion chip guard which is probably just plastic and screws onto the forks.

Ah. No bridge would def affect stiffness, however i see the emerald does have one....

I don't know how much structural integrity that bridge will add. It looks to be part of the protection for the lowers. Therefore it's probably plastic. One may ask then why bother adding a bridge to the sheilds. I reckon, possibly for aesthetics, and possibly also so that mud guards can be attached

No that is not a true bridge - that is just a bridge across the stantion chip guard which is probably just plastic and screws onto the forks.

haha snap!

Unless - they have been able to make it so that it bolts on to the throughaxle base and is SUPER stiff - that could help with the lateral flex - looks like it has 2 archs one in the front and one in the back.

But in this instance why not then just make a normal DH fork??