MTB brake upgrade

Rich Stan

the 2012 M785 = 2013 M666, of course the 2013 label will make it a premium... (more pricey)

So get the 2012 XT's for cheaper biggrin.png

G

Thing is.. on CRC the 2013 SLX costs more than the 2012 XT

Edited by awesme

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 2012 M785 = 2013 M666, of course the 2013 label will make it a premium... (more pricey)

So get the 2012 XT's for cheaper biggrin.png

G

Its a no brainer isnt it?

Will pm you as soon as I have.

PS: for everyone, btw, the XT's won the brake shootout.

G

And I read a bikeradar review where SLX won....very popular and for a good reason. That being said I have the new XT's and very happy

Thing is.. on CRC the 2013 SLX costs more than the 2012 XT

Yes saw that last night...bought mine locally from easybike...cheapest and best service.

How are the Formula R1 brakes in comparison in feel and stopping power? They are generally rated as one of the better brakes here on the hub

I wish there were more threads like this on thehub. Some actual good advise, not just sarcastic trolling.

Looks like the 2012 SLX M666 also have the ICETEC rotors and calipers. They are R450 cheaper than the XTs... so still a good alternative if your budget is tight?

Edited by BlinkFan

Nice thread. Question. is the feel and the upgrade in the caliper or the lever? Meaning older caliper with new lever better than old lever with new caliper?

Guest ctMTBer

Does anyone know of a clamp (matchmaker style) that I can XT / SLX brakes with Sram shiffters?

That is the only thing holding me back from going the Shimano brake route.....I like the bars clean

Sorry for the mini hi-jack

JTK

I can't say for my upgrade, I upgraded both as a set,

That was then followed by shifters (i-Spec) which nicely fitted into my XT brake fittings.

G

Nice thread. Question. is the feel and the upgrade in the caliper or the lever? Meaning older caliper with new lever better than old lever with new caliper?

Formula brakes have a SRAM matchmaker.

The R1 are the SHIZZZZ!!!

Also have a set of Formula RX, REALLY happy with them as well, if you take the R1 to RX price differential into consideration.

Formula's are GREAT!!!

JTK

I can't say for my upgrade, I upgraded both as a set,

That was then followed by shifters (i-Spec) which nicely fitted into my XT brake fittings.

G

reason I ask is I have a set of dual control XT's laying in the cuboard waiting for a set of calipers. I was wondering if it really makes a diffs what calipers I run with it. Was thinking the SLX ones (if CRC ever gets some in stock) as they are nicely priced... Or should I not worry and slap an old set of deore's on there?

And I read a bikeradar review where SLX won....very popular and for a good reason. That being said I have the new XT's and very happy

Yes saw that last night...bought mine locally from easybike...cheapest and best service.

My Whole groupset is XT so would like to match the brakes too if I go with shimano. Just sux to have to pay R400 more, just for a cover with a different name on :(

I have just done the same exercise.

I have chosen Hopes as I like the fact that you can rebuild them. They also have great feel and are fully adjustable.

Shimano XTs are plug and play and reputedly bullet proof. No spares and less modulation so not as much feel but are supposedly more powerful.

You wouldnt go wrong with either.