What to do about late night hunger

mulmi

Yeah you need carbs. Just not refined ones! i think thats where the stigma comes from. Carbs = white bread to most people....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with cyclists having an issue against carbohydrates, if you train a lot you need a lot of carbo's to fuel you?

You need carbs but not loads and carbo loading at the pasta evening does not really work.

If you're craving chocolate it is normally a sign of not eating enough carbohydrates or your magnesium is low. But that means low GI NOT sugar.

Craving biltong, I'm not too sure, maybe you need more iron or it could be the salt you actually want.

Do you suffer from night muscle cramps?

The cramps are new to me. Started feeling then on training rides. Waiting for the big one to hit in a race. Saw it this year in the Argus, its scary!!!

I'll try the shake. I have to drop a lot of weight. So I'll skip the nuts.

What I normally crave for is biltong or chocolate. But that is why I now have to loose the kilos. Wont low fat game biltong work as well.

Whenever I'm hungry at night, I have a lekker big piece of game biltong. Almost no fat, plenty protein and all healthy and good. And I still have plenty after the hunting season thumbup1.gif .

Otherwise, try popcorn - not the kind with all the butter in though. It wont fill you up, but paired with a cup of tea or a protein shake before hand, you'll be good to go.

When you buy a protein shake, just check the carbs. Some of them have plenty, some of them almost none. Just mentioning it as you say you're on a diet already.

Edited by HDW

You need carbs but not loads and carbo loading at the pasta evening does not really work.

Must admit, I've never tried carbo loading.

All I'm saying is that for an endurance athlete we need quite a lot of carbohydrates more than a body builder who needs more protein. I'm talking in everyday diet.

I know this from expereince, I tried cutting down carbohydrates to try lose weight, ended up at Dr Patricious with Coxsacchie virus and he sent me to the dietitian as it turns out I wasn't eating nearly enough carbo's for the amount of training. Changed my diet and lost weight without being hungry.

The cramps are new to me. Started feeling then on training rides. Waiting for the big one to hit in a race. Saw it this year in the Argus, its scary!!!

I'm lucky, I only cramp afterwards and in my sleep, not in races :)

Then it probably is the salt and maybe eat more bananas. Especially in a race, replace some formulated expensive trash for a banana.

What should I do about the hunger pains that set on after 9 at night. This is the time when all I want to do is raid the fridge, and that will ruin the whole days diet.

Drinking water then does not help a bit.

E A T whistling.gif

Traditional belief is that you need carbs to perform. However it has been established that you need fuel to perform and the body can use fat as fuel.

Must admit, I've never tried carbo loading.

All I'm saying is that for an endurance athlete we need quite a lot of carbohydrates more than a body builder who needs more protein. I'm talking in everyday diet.

I know this from expereince, I tried cutting down carbohydrates to try lose weight, ended up at Dr Patricious with Coxsacchie virus and he sent me to the dietitian as it turns out I wasn't eating nearly enough carbo's for the amount of training. Changed my diet and lost weight without being hungry.

Certainly endurance athletes need carbs - a lot of the right ones. And at the right time of day.

But the thread is about night-time hunger pangs and the damage that night-time carb snacks do for someone trying to drop weight.

A packet of mixed nuts and dried fruit is brilliant for early in the day, when their sustained slow release of energy throughout the day is great. But eat them at night and they are not a help.

The exception is if you've got back-to-back long rides where you need to get your glycogen stores replenished asap for the next day. In that case, stuff your face with quality slow-release carbs like nuts.

High GI carbs can be great right after a hard workout. Again, have them at night and you're just going to go backwards.

Edited by tombeej