Doping at school level...

Eldron

I doped, Coach was fine with it. Turned my life around now, stupidest mistake I've ever made. Even considered starting an anti doping organisation that speaks to schools and who ever else may benefit from it.

The implications go far beyond just the health risk.

Family & friends suffer because you are not yourself. Emotionally it screws you up so bad.

interesting.......so what would have prevented you from doping in the first place?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting.......so what would have prevented you from doping in the first place?

I'm actually not sure, because when I was in school we had people come and tell us how bad it was and it still didnt change my mind. We would need some professional advice and someone to actually try and understand the mindset of 18 year old boys to determine what it is that could stop it. Everyone wants to be bigger and stronger than the next guy, and when protein shakes stop working its creatine, then other pills, then mild steroids, next thing full on injections.

I'm actually not sure, because when I was in school we had people come and tell us how bad it was and it still didnt change my mind. We would need some professional advice and someone to actually try and understand the mindset of 18 year old boys to determine what it is that could stop it. Everyone wants to be bigger and stronger than the next guy, and when protein shakes stop working its creatine, then other pills, then mild steroids, next thing full on injections.

Scary unsure.png

When I was at school we had an old teacher with very few teeth tell us that wanking will make our teeth fall out (oh, the irony). Made an impression on me as I still remember it, but I'll stop there.

Maybe young guys need someone who has had a stroke, balls removed or similar as a result of doping go and speak to them?

are you still active in your sport?

If the threat/fear of a longterm or life ban in all sport was a reality would you still do it?

and not a question to you...but if jail time was a reality to suppliers, would they still be supplying ?

If the threat/fear of a longterm or life ban in all sport was a reality would you still do it?

and not a question to you...but if jail time was a reality to suppliers, would they still be supplying ?

Jailtime is a reality to drug dealers, thieves etc, and they still do it....

Jailtime is a reality to drug dealers, thieves etc, and they still do it....

yeah but those providing steroids etc are more white-collar then those...that said...there is another negative spin to that. The more illegal you make steroids etc the more likely the supply will come from these type people and the quality etc will decrease putting these "users" in even more danger.

The reason why smoking is frowned upon now compared to when i was a laaitjie is the more compelling link to the danger to your health.......there is no active marketing of the health dangers of taking steroids - there was a bodybuilder that died this year at a youngish age if i recall correctly

At school level I don't think most of the drive is to have a competitive edge in sports. It's more vanity driven ad about getting as "big" as possible in the quickest time. You see these kids at the gym who in the space of two months double in size, although they still look half the size if the ridiculous trainers. Test everyone I say, it's all cheating.

No not active in that particular sport.

And if there was a threat of a lifetime ban I may have still done it. But i definitely would have thought about it before.

I think if someone had been banned for life before I considered doing it then I may have not done it. Like someone was made an example of.

Jail time is a reality to suppliers???

At school level I don't think most of the drive is to have a competitive edge in sports. It's more vanity driven ad about getting as "big" as possible in the quickest time. You see these kids at the gym who in the space of two months double in size, although they still look half the size if the ridiculous trainers. Test everyone I say, it's all cheating.

Yes that is partly true.

Its also about the competitive edge. Maybe 70% size 30% edge. Its nice to know you can beat most people who you competing against easily.

yeah but those providing steroids etc are more white-collar then those...that said...there is another negative spin to that. The more illegal you make steroids etc the more likely the supply will come from these type people and the quality etc will decrease putting these "users" in even more danger.

The reason why smoking is frowned upon now compared to when i was a laaitjie is the more compelling link to the danger to your health.......there is no active marketing of the health dangers of taking steroids - there was a bodybuilder that died this year at a youngish age if i recall correctly

Quality wont decrease. The thing with steroids is it's not like normal drugs where they can just mix rat poison in and people wont know. Steroids come from respected pharmacies and vets.

I have 2 cousins who play/have played for Paarl Gymnasium's first team rugby. According to them, they're school has a strict anti-steroid and doping policy and regulations. However, they say that in other schools it's relatively easy to get hold of steroids, in fact, in some cases the coaches encourage the use of it! Disgusting!

That had me thinking, at junior (u/18) and under-23 level it is very competitive and sponsorship is sought after. Many upcoming youngsters have cycling fixed as their career choice and because of this securing a sponsorship is extremely important. I think that in some cases the level of tough competition might pressure some youngsters into different measures of 'developing talent'. This is a cruel and vicious circle and as of yet we've been lucky to see no reported cases and I hope it stays that way. It may sound ridiculous, but I think u/18 and u/23 riders must be monitored as well, not just the elites.

fixed

True. I have also heard about this. Parents forcing kids to take hoping it will secure them a life in sport oneday.....

Unfortunately.

But lifes unfair...... I have never stumbled across drugs and My legs are tiiiirreeeeeddddd!! :-)