Snakes on a plane... err... trail

Greggvdw

If it helps any, there were a lot of holes in the ground in the direct vicinty. About the same diameter as a waterbottle.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a puffy, but not sure with coloring like that?

Saw the info RE: the underside after posting.

Problems with Rinkhals is that they like to "play dead". That one looks properly dead tho.

Yeah, was very dead. i would not have approached if i could not see that it was half eaten :)

Subsequent rides through that section have been at quite a pace.

Guest The Bushpig

Yeah there are plenty of Mongoose around there so I hope it was that. I am no expert, but it didnt look like it was killed by a human. Also there are pretty much only mountain bikers going through this reserve so I hope none of them would do something like this.

Yup, so do I. I hate to see snakes just killed for no reason. I have shot my fair share of snakes inside our house when I was a child(less wise and too quick on the trigger; I actually regret it now), but never bother them when they are out and about just being snakes. Snakes never go looking for k*k; in dozens of encounters I've had with snakes, only a Puffadder gave me too late a warning(probably because I was not paying attention).

Cobra of some sort; distinctively shaped head. Hard to be specific without seeing it in the flesh. Not many grow as thick as your arm; possibly an Egyptian(not sure if they occur here). Mongooses kill them easily but it's more likely to have been killed by something with two legs.

Thats why I ride a Mongoose - just in case I come across a cobra

Guest The Bushpig

If it helps any, there were a lot of holes in the ground in the direct vicinty. About the same diameter as a waterbottle.

Ground Squirrels probably made those holes. Cobras + Rodents = Happy Cobras; lekker burrows to live in and plenty of baby rodents to eat at any time.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the Rinkhals, but I was also under the impression that they are more slender. The description does seem to indicate a Rinkhals, although colour can vary hugely within a species. That snake in the photo is massively thick for it's length.

Any Herpetologists on the Hub?

Yup, so do I. I hate to see snakes just killed for no reason. I have shot my fair share of snakes inside our house when I was a child(less wise and too quick on the trigger; I actually regret it now), but never bother them when they are out and about just being snakes. Snakes never go looking for k*k; in dozens of encounters I've had with snakes, only a Puffadder gave me too late a warning(probably because I was not paying attention).

Dude, I will kill a snake without any remorse. I had 2 encounters with Black Mamba's in 2 weeks, and both of them are well over 1.7m Long. And believe me, You will feel different once you cross paths with them. eek.gif

The underside was black and every now and then a white strip. Much like the picture above. I was always under the impression that a rinkhals was skinnier.

No a Rhinkals is quite a fat strong looking mother, thick long body. Its eye is quite destinctive in that it looks like its scowling. white bands on the underside are normal. It comes across as a 'proper snake', not something to be messed with.

There is another colour variation which is black and khaki beigh stripes.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

On the sides near the head the cobra flaps can clearly be seen, it`s a rinkhals. I think I`ll rather take my chances with the Cape puffies.

Guest The Bushpig

Dude, I will kill a snake without any remorse. I had 2 encounters with Black Mamba's in 2 weeks, and both of them are well over 1.7m Long. And believe me, You will feel different once you cross paths with them. eek.gif

I have, just once, at a range of about 80cm, with a male that went well over 3m(his head was level with my chin). My fault; I leopard crawled onto him. He was afraid and cornered by me, and could have bitten me directly in the neck/face/chest with little effort. I stood still, didn't try to run or turn the rifle on him. He calmed down, turned away and took off. He gave me the benefit of the doubt because I did not continue threatening him. Agreed; a Black Mamba is one terrifying snake; he commands respect.

Edited by The Bushpig

I could never ever kill a snake, that I know for sure. Waaaay to scared to get anywhere near close enough in order to kill the thing, before it killed me. Maybe with a flame thrower from a helicopter but even thats a bit close for me.

http://www.capesnakeconservation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ww-2.jpg

Thanks bru. Now I won't sleep tonight.

Guest The Bushpig

I have, just once, at a range of about 80cm, with a male that went well over 3m(his head was level with my chin). My fault; I leopard crawled onto him. He was afraid and cornered by me, and could have bitten me directly in the neck/face/chest with little effort. I stood still, didn't try to run or turn the rifle on him. He calmed down, turned away and took off. He gave me the benefit of the doubt because I did not continue threatening him. Agreed; a Black Mamba is one terrifying snake; he commands respect.

I still won't kill a snake for no reason.