Cracked Frame - Giant Anthem

MTBeer

This is a problem with Giant bicycles they ALL crack in that EXACT SAME SPOT!!!

I had a Reign that cracked there..... A friend of mine had a Glory that cracked in the same spot......

That is the only reason that I wont buy a Giant - POOR structural design over the last couple of years.

One would think that Giant would figure out that something is not right with all the warranty replacements they need to do.......

Yeah, I hate Giant.

No problems with either of my Giants, so don't think that comment stands true, the same for my riding mate, no cracked Giants at all, it happens with all brands of frames. It's like getting a Monday or Friday car.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had an anthem and a trance and have ridden them to hell and back crashed them , smashed them and never had a days issue. I think the issue is if the seatpost is to high it causes the frame to crack due to the extra leverage and pressure focused on that area.

so perhaps some people have got a frame size to small and are compensating by raising the seat post to high.

I always thought giant was bulletproof and i would recommend them to anyone.

I agree with this 1 million percent.

Same here, although I ride a tallboy now, I rode my 29er large anthem up & down anything. This year alone did oakvalley 24hr, epic, transkaroo, transbaviaans, karootocoast with alot of training miles in between. Frame is solid!!! Friends of mine have cracked 2 each of xl sizes, they are now on the carbon versions. I've stripped my frame to the bare aluminium to investigate if there's any visible cracks but nada.

No problems with either of my Giants, so don't think that comment stands true, the same for my riding mate, no cracked Giants at all, it happens with all brands of frames. It's like getting a Monday or Friday car.

I don't know of any giant that cracked in ANY other place....... also this is re-occuring, that should tell you something.......

Two of my friends have got Anthems, and both had theirs crack at the seatchub and cross bar, one way to ensure you get a new bike from time to time

Also sitting with one at the moment waiting for warranty replacement - not sure where the delay is, but sounds like Dragon isn't able to cope with the claims as it's now been around 3 months since the frame cracked (thankfully still ridable, but still not acceptable that it takes this long). I have only heard 2nd hand info about it through a LBS hence saying I'm not completely sure where the blame lies, but I have to assume it's with Dragon. They are still awesome bikes and seem to take a lot of abuse without too many problems - I'm riding my second one now without any problems, but the warranty is a colleague's bike and it's his second warranty replacement so seems like luck plays a part too!

Then I am blessed... I smash my Anthem X through everything and anything and she just accepts it.... Have seen other frames crack etc but not mine. I am a huge fan.

Although, I am currently building an On One Scandal Frame up, such amazing welds and handy work...

A big thumbup1.gif on that Scandal :)

@BogusOne; you may have a point. I had a Mongoose Canaan Elite and my first frame didn't have a gusset at the seatpost top tube connection. At its first service, I was told it was cracked there (Thank you Mr Minnaar, sir) and a new frame organised with no fuss at all. The new frame had a healthy gusset at that connection. No trouble since and 4 years, a few sani's and b&b's etc or so later.

Also sitting with one at the moment waiting for warranty replacement - not sure where the delay is, but sounds like Dragon isn't able to cope with the claims as it's now been around 3 months since the frame cracked (thankfully still ridable, but still not acceptable that it takes this long). I have only heard 2nd hand info about it through a LBS hence saying I'm not completely sure where the blame lies, but I have to assume it's with Dragon. They are still awesome bikes and seem to take a lot of abuse without too many problems - I'm riding my second one now without any problems, but the warranty is a colleague's bike and it's his second warranty replacement so seems like luck plays a part too!

don't know why you have waited so long. my latest replacement took just over a week. I was told Dragon received a container of stock on Tuesday last week.

• 2 years later...

Any new development on this?

Has Giant sorted out the frame design?

I am looking at getting a Dual Suspension frame, and not many manufacturers sell Frame Sets separately.

Giant was on of my options, but I would not want to buy a dud...

Every year there has been an slight improvement to the frame design. Apparently this does not happen so regularly anymore. I have a 2014 and so far so good.

Please remember, you will ALWAYS see more complaints about a product on the internet, than people without an issue. Thus it looks like most owners have issues, but it probably 1% of all the bikes.

As long as you are the original owner, you have a lifetime warranty on the frame, so what's the big deal ...

Anthem is also not built for big drops, it's a xc bike so should be treated as such. saying that I ride mine in rough and tough rocky terrain and it had stood up like any other bike.

Any new development on this?

Has Giant sorted out the frame design?

I am looking at getting a Dual Suspension frame, and not many manufacturers sell Frame Sets separately.

Giant was on of my options, but I would not want to buy a dud...

get a pyga 110 instead....see their design around this problem spot on bikes

Definitely improved since 2012. Far fewer issues with Anthems in recent years. Don't hesitate to buy one. It is one of the best value for money dual suss racers you can buy and it comes with a lifetime frame warranty if you buy new. Excellent suspension design, relatively light out the box and very versatile, which is why people push them to do trail and all mountain stuff too.

Giant have addressed this issue. They have widened the top tube where it meets the seat post tube on all the new 2016 Anthems. I have just bought one and i will be riding it hard! i guess time will tell!

get a pyga 110 instead....see their design around this problem spot on bikes

I have now got a Pyga 110 due to other crappy products and really crappy service.

Yes OMNICO I'm talking about you, for luv, money and certainly for your sanity stay far away from them (GT and Cannondale) because if you have warranty claims through them you will find out just how bad customer service can be.

I went mainstream last time around because I always assumed you would struggle with the smaller brands, but have learnt that lesson, so now I ride what excites me.

I had an Anthem and still have an old 26er XTC and both are rock solid. The xtc has been ridden hard for 12 years, ridden over the Alps with luggage on the back and all and all and it is still fine.

I now have a Pyga and it is absolutely solid - feels like a war rig.