Which mtb pedal to buy?

Jaco-fiets

I will try and help as its still a dilemma for me to.

1) are on what type of riding you will be doing.

a)Down hill - flat no clip

b)trail but hard core technical to - mallet with cleat

I ride with crank brothers mallets , not sexy but best of both worlds.

e) trail / XC full cleat. This depends on your rides and skill and age, as if you fall on DH tech section with rocks it's sore, full clips stop you from dabbing foot down.

Look at peddles that are common, Shimano ,crank brothers and the time ones. I could not get my foot out of Shimmano peddles even with tension on the lowest setting. Good luck

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not "correct" but my road bikes are also look,mtb pedals, i find keeping the same pedals just easier!! I buy a couple of sets of shoes in the beginning of the year and just swop them out through the year. That way the wear equally and actually last longer, and I don't go through that transition of very old or very new shoes

If one had to go for the look quartz MTB pedal, is it worth paying the R500 extra for the Quartz carbon?

Have quarts carbons the race bike and normal quarts on the training bike, and I've found the only noticeable differences is the carbons feel much stiffer

Have a few pairs of Look Quartz pedals if you interested in the used route, but no cleats unfortunately... Got them along the way with other parts I've bought - after this thread I'm thinking it's worth trying them out!

I could not get my foot out of Shimmano peddles even with tension on the lowest setting. Good luck

If you use genuine Shimano pedals, then you should not have this issue :)

Some cleats do not match well to the pedal - there is a small nub on the cleat that if worn off or not present then they do not release well at all - had the same issue with some lesser known name brand cleat - worked fine on the pedals they came with, but when using a Shimano pedal it did not work at all - swapped it to a new shimano cleat and problem went away.

My vote goes to XT or XTR pedals - bulletproof and easy to maintain - still running a set of deore pedals on one of my bikes that are 22 years old...

Match the pedals and cleats always with Shimano and lube them the same as your chain .They will release smoothly

time atac! seriously bombproof. I have never had any issues with them, ever, in any kind of conditions. even with my cleats worn shiny smooth, they still trucked along.

I also ride with mine on and off road

Interesting. Also looking to get new pedals as my feet are going numb when seriously climbing or doing a moderate to difficult single track.

Currently on Shimano M540's and after reading some of the reviews I am leaning towards these:

Stick with the 540's and buy decent shoes - i.e. GREAT shoes, and make sure they fit well - soft soggy soles and/or ill fitting shoes tend to cause sore feet.

The less flex in the sole above the pedal the better - so carbon soled Sidi shoes work well for me, but they fit me well too.

I know it's not "correct" but my road bikes are also look,mtb pedals, i find keeping the same pedals just easier!! I buy a couple of sets of shoes in the beginning of the year and just swop them out through the year. That way the wear equally and actually last longer, and I don't go through that transition of very old or very new shoes

Funny you mention that, I use road shoes with my mtb pedals and shimano spd's. Works pretty well but not ideal, but heck, they weigh far less than my dad's shimano shoes and I rarely walk, and even when I do walk, the cleats are tough, so still works a charm.

Edited by wheelerdealer

Stick with the 540's and buy decent shoes - i.e. GREAT shoes, and make sure they fit well - soft soggy soles and/or ill fitting shoes tend to cause sore feet.

The less flex in the sole above the pedal the better - so carbon soled Sidi shoes work well for me, but they fit me well too.

V12,

I am riding Suplest Cross Country Carbons- not on the cheaper side of shoes I have seen and they fit exceptionally well. No pressure points under normal riding, stiff as well but dear mother of all that is holy, I nearly took them off today at Jonkershoek on the final stretch of the our climb.

Only thing I could think of was to replace pedals as it is on my list of things to eventually change but now I am wondering if I should not look at other shoes as well...

My wife is going to cursing.gif

Edited by PietaSS

Time Atac.

Bullet proof - even I could not destroy them completely smile.png

Easy to clip in and out of - Stays cleated when needed

Been through a couple of Sabie Mud fests and never had problems

Generous float to save your knees

I have read a couple of reviews which states the advantage of the generous float for your knees. This is something i am taking into consideration since i have started to get some tender knees in the last couple of months because of gym training gone wrong. In the time range, are the absolon ones in my picture sufficient?

If the float on the time is sufficient then i guess the float on the Look should also be fine. I am slightly concerned about the float on the XT's

Funny you mention that, I use road shoes with my mtb pedals and shimano spd's. Works pretty well but not ideal, but heck, they weigh far less than my dad's shimano shoes and I rarely walk, and even when I do walk, the cleats are tough, so still works a charm.

There is a little portage at the end of day 1 of the Wines2whales - Road shoe going to give some problems on that little walk... :)

Also it is a violation of the rules.. Rule 34 to be precise...