So I hit a pedestrian this morning...

Jigghead

@Jigg ... so you should have had a 85K bike and this whole situation would have been avoided as you would have had brakes taken off a space shuttle and would have stopped immediately.

May I also recommend you get a carbon framed bike and find the tightest lyra that you can (Colour coded to your bike) as this would in turn help you out to "flow" through the air effectively around the Ped.

tongue.png there is no tongue in cheek icon, so this would have to do.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Bushpig

You mentioned in your OP "I see this guy walking ahead of me in the distance."

So you saw him, yet still took him down? I've seen plenty of Spruit Warriors when I used to live there. Guys who put their heads down and don't make way for others using the paths. Fancy carbon and lycra like it's the Epic.

Get a life and slow down man.

No need for this kind of post; it's insulting the OP, and assuming that the accident was due entirely to his attitude, which does not seem to be the case.

@Jigg ... so you should have had a 85K bike and this whole situation would have been avoided as you would have had brakes taken off a space shuttle and would have stopped immediately.

Maybe the fact that I weigh over 90kg and my alloy bike is pretty close to this weight contributed towards the excessive speed? My breaks also could have failed given that they are not out of the top parts drawer?

May I also recommend you get a carbon framed bike and find the tightest lyra that you can (Colour coded to your bike) as this would in turn help you out to "flow" through the air effectively around the Ped.

I must confess, I wear lycra shorts and not baggiesblush.png, what does this say about me?

Oh, B.T.W tongue.png

Edited by Jigghead

Not me, but somebody else hit a pedestrian on the N12 this morning. Not a pretty sight... bloody glad I didn't get more of a glance than I did get at it...

1. Pedestrians have the same right to be there as we do (something like cyclists on a road?)

No they don't - or else you don't. Pedestrians (including runners/joggers) on the road are "jaywalking" (edit: unless there is no pavement). And you're not allowed to ride your bike on the pavement where they should be.

Edited by jmaccelari

• 7 months later...
Guest Latent Blue
My worst and most pain-full falls commuting have been due to pedestrians jumping or running into the road with out looking and coming from behind big vans whilst running into the road.

• Never trust a pedestrian or a motorist
  • A back pack can also save your back and head from hitting the road hard when coming down
  • Barking, yes barking, seems to be far more effective than a bell .... you can ring that bell like an ice cream selling and the pedestrians will mostly not hear you, even when you are just behind them.

I hate it when they jump in the road!!!post-43150-1372534683,1146.jpg

Just want to add its not just pedestrians but other slower moving cyclists as well. Pls don't assume we can hear you coming up. Many times I've looked back and there's no one and then seconds later I catch movement out of the corner of my eye and theres someone passing me on the right. Holla away. I'd prefer that.

Glad you and the oke sorta ok, I'm sure it's superficial injuries, and I'm sure ppl walking there to get to work are just as nervous about muggings etc.

And what would Jens do??????

Whatever you do, get a bell and use it. This fails, whistle or shout. My Hope hub is actually loud enough about 50% of the time......

Sometimes there's nothing you can do and your best efforts to avoid a collision will still not be good enough, which is what your incident sounds like to me - don't stress yourself over it.

When living in London I was riding down a hill at a fair pace, and a guy jumped out of a car and stepped into the road without looking - couldn't hear anything coming and didn't think to look - I shouted at him and crossed to the opposite side of the road to avoid him, but he hit the ground running and managed to get in front of my wheel. I cracked my helmet, taco-ed my front wheel and he got taken away in an ambulance.