Chromoly vs. Reynolds 853 steel SS frames

sometime

Maybe it is time to swop my plastic road bike for a steel beauty. Oh, and the alu CX as well.

By the way my classic Chromoly mtb is still a wonderful ride. Guess you need to ride a bike to know what it feels like whether Chromoly, Reynolds or some other blend of steel

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys

We are playing with a few designs of various materials, as we will be launching a local brand of custom SS/Fixie frames/road/mtb/cx.

Some of you have seen my Ti setup, but we have a few awesome changes in tube profiles and materials to make some more sweet rides.

There will be steel, only the front triangle uses butted tubing.

Alu - a stiff race orientated SS, but a hanger will be available to run 1 x (9,10,11) setups

Ti - models, with a little give but a super ride.

I will out some pics of completed proto-types...

Hey Guys

We are playing with a few designs of various materials, as we will be launching a local brand of custom SS/Fixie frames/road/mtb/cx.

Some of you have seen my Ti setup, but we have a few awesome changes in tube profiles and materials to make some more sweet rides.

Alu - a stiff race orientated SS, but a hanger will be available to run 1 x (9,10,11) setups

This sounds promising! as long as the pricing is reasonable

Haven't read the whole thread, so excuse me if I repeat what might've been said.

I ride a Surly 1x1 that is dirt cheap. Probably close to the On One i.t.o price, maybe slightly more.

BUT, I'm a bike slut/geek. My next steel SS frame(hopefully 2013 or 2014....finances permitting) is going to cost 3x the price of the Cotic & the Niner, nevermind the On One. But, it is built with 10x more attention to detail and love and care and passion. That stuff just appeals to me.

The bottom line is that the Surly/On One et al are built down to a price. I've stood my Surly next to Niners and Cotics(mates have them) and they just look better, more classy, welds are much neater. The quality shows. There's more attention to detail

Still won't ever sell the Surly because I love it. And if you buy the On One you'll no doubt love it cos they are great bikes. But....you get what you pay for is all I'm saying.

Haven't read the whole thread, so excuse me if I repeat what might've been said.

I ride a Surly 1x1 that is dirt cheap. Probably close to the On One i.t.o price, maybe slightly more.

BUT, I'm a bike slut/geek. My next steel SS frame(hopefully 2013 or 2014....finances permitting) is going to cost 3x the price of the Cotic & the Niner, nevermind the On One. But, it is built with 10x more attention to detail and love and care and passion. That stuff just appeals to me.

The bottom line is that the Surly/On One et al are built down to a price. I've stood my Surly next to Niners and Cotics(mates have them) and they just look better, more classy, welds are much neater. The quality shows. There's more attention to detail

Still won't ever sell the Surly because I love it. And if you buy the On One you'll no doubt love it cos they are great bikes. But....you get what you pay for is all I'm saying.

Did you get your Surly through Wiggle, or elsewhere?

i love the idea of Surly, just don't want to go through the import saga associated with getting stuff from the States

On-one is a simple operation, and Grant Usher does Ragley (the Bigwig 29er should be in production next year) and Singular.

Matthew at Cotic SA can get you the Solaris 29er, and the OX platinum tubing is similar to the 853 that the Soul uses.

Bicicletta does Ritchey.

Lots of options.

i wish i could just get one of each.devil.gif

Did you get your Surly through Wiggle, or elsewhere?

i love the idea of Surly, just don't want to go through the import saga associated with getting stuff from the States

On-one is a simple operation, and Grant Usher does Ragley (the Bigwig 29er should be in production next year) and Singular.

Matthew at Cotic SA can get you the Solaris 29er, and the OX platinum tubing is similar to the 853 that the Soul uses.

Wi

Bicicletta does Ritchey.

Lots of options.

i wish i could just get one of each.devil.gif

Wish I could ride more than one bike at a time.

I know that you mean. I ride with a mate who has a raw Lynskey titanium frame SS. Putting that next to most other steel SS frames does highlight its quality, attention to detail and visual appeal. But all of that does not come cheap.

Hey Guys

Could you make paragon sliders for my peace?

It's really quite easy:

We generally love whichever bike we ride (I know I do).

In order to make your choice, ride the different bikes (as has been said), and if one feels better than the others, buy it.

There is no doubt that 853 is a 'better" tubeset, but will the ride quality be that different for a mid pack plonker like me? Not really.

I had a Ragley Blue Pig in 4130, and it was a beast! I loved that bike! Would a Soul have been better? Maybe, but the Blue Pig was right for me at that time.

If you can afford it, and you have that connection with it, go for the 853.

i guarantee you'll have as much fun on a 4130 bike, though!

And if custom is an option< go for it!!!!

A custom, built to measure frame is my dream.

OP must be totally confused now.

wink.png

Not really.

Chromoly Bikes - "On One" - best bang for buck but I know I'll see Niners, Cotics, Singulars, Surly etc on the trail and wish I'd spent a few grand more and got one of those.

'853' bikes - "Cotic" - no these are not worth 3x the Chromoly bikes but they are not unaffordably expensive and they are just different enough in every sense from the Chromoly bikes to justify the price difference.

Ti bikes - "Lynskey" - would love one of these but SS is my cycling "hobby" whereas marathon and XC is where I spend most my time on the bike and where I'll spend most my money.

in conclusion - I'll go for the Reynolds 853 (or similar) style frame.

This sounds promising! as long as the pricing is reasonable

Thats the idea, get some thing for all us normal guys to enjoy. We will have frames focussed on top end, welded with some more modern processes, higher quality, but not a game special. Sort of our focus for starting

which frame ?

Thats the idea, get some thing for all us normal guys to enjoy. We will have frames focussed on top end, welded with some more modern processes, higher quality, but not a game special. Sort of our focus for starting

I am sure you will find alot of local support for this