Chromoly vs. Reynolds 853 steel SS frames

sometime

Eldron consults the dark corners of his brain that have been dormant since his metallurgy studies ended in 1996...

853 is a heat treatable version of 4130 (qite similar in chemistry) - 853 is air hardened if I recall correctly. As the others pointed out it means thinner walls for the same strength (lower weight!). There should also be some benefits to the HAZ of the weld.

The bigger difference would be in the shaping of the tubes - Niner have Reynolds make, extrude and shape unique tubes for them. Now there is no scientific way to show the advantage of that but at least it shows theyve put some effort into it.

No disrespect to On One etc but they will take standard off the shelf tube sets and weld them up.

I'm guessing that is where the pricing difference comes in.

Now the tough question - the ride...ride a few if you can and see :-)

I have the Niner MCR 853 frame in SS mode and love it - it's heavy, flexible and has all day comfort. The On Ones I have ridden are a bit stiffer - probably more efficient but less comfy. That said - my quick round the block rides on the On Ones don't really qualify as "comprehensively tested".

I agree.

I think the fact that On-One uses standard tubes is the reason why they have T-bone seat stays, whereas Niner, Ritchey etc have bendy seat stays. In my experience bikes with T-bone or De Kerf chain stays give a harder and less comfortable ride.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DOH! You know what I mean man he he he.

Different pursposes - race on alu/carbon - have fun on steel :-)

Agree 100%

Steel just has an inherent fun factor. A lot more forgiving.

My Cotic still feels pretty racy though. Looking forward to having the Niner in my stable.

As for the OP, glad I'm not deciding between your choices :)

Edited by Ryanpmb

Agree 100%

Steel just has an inherent fun factor. A lot more forgiving.

My Cotic still feels pretty racy though. Looking forward to having the Niner in my stable.

As for the OP, glad I'm not deciding between your choices :)

Indeed! My advice to the OP would be the Cotic/Niner if you can afford it - On One if you want bang for buck.

Mmmm Niner - as most of you know I'm a complete Ninerphile/Ninerd. My next project is a Niner road bike - probably with an MCR frame as it's base. Maybe an old EMD (the pre hydroformed frames).

Oh and for those not in the know - MCR is Magic Carpet Ride and damn did they get that name right!

How about the Kona Unit? Proprietary chromoly, all tubes are butted, chromoly double butted fork?

Thanks for all the replies! I do ride my current ally 26er SS every week, but not (never?) 5 hour epic rides so the comfort benefits possibly inherent in 853 seat and chain stays is perhaps not as relevant as it is for someone like Eldron. I also had a read through On One's website and their comparison of building an Inbred frame with 853 vs. Chromoly tubing. Their conclusion that they couldn't discern much of a difference and therefore couldn't justify the 3x price difference was interesting but could also just be a typical marketing response. But I think there is some merit on what they are saying and based on some of the replies here it seems that on pure technical merit, that the 853 framed bikes are not worth 3 x a chromoly frame.

But we don't just buy bikes based on perceived bang for buck but rather there is a strong emotional element that comes into our purchases and that's where the appeal of riding something that you know is just a little bit different, that the materials used to build the bike are bespoke and not off the shelf parts, comes into play. I don't know which way I'm going to go to be honest. I guess taking each type for a ride is really going to be the deciding factor for me.

My GT peace is made from old stove pipes ( think its Reynolds 5something) heavy on the scale, heaven on the trail.

Love the feel of my bike. Only ever ridden it with the standard steel fork, not interested in putting a suspension fork on it (would be like drinking Johnny blue with fanta grape)

I've read up a bit about the GT triple triangle design and how it can soften the ride as it move the forces away from the seat stay. Sure its all marketing blah blah. But my bike is comfortable enough to ride all day and day after day.

Only thing I would want to change is putting paragon sliders on it.

My GT peace is made from old stove pipes ( think its Reynolds 5something) heavy on the scale, heaven on the trail.

Love the feel of my bike. Only ever ridden it with the standard steel fork, not interested in putting a suspension fork on it (would be like drinking Johnny blue with fanta grape)

I've read up a bit about the GT triple triangle design and how it can soften the ride as it move the forces away from the seat stay. Sure its all marketing blah blah. But my bike is comfortable enough to ride all day and day after day.

I wish the On One boys would do the same ... not then end of the world though, but it is a nice concept.

But we don't just buy bikes based on perceived bang for buck but rather there is a strong emotional element that comes into our purchases and that's where the appeal of riding something that you know is just a little bit different, that the materials used to build the bike are bespoke and not off the shelf parts, comes into play. I don't know which way I'm going to go to be honest. I guess taking each type for a ride is really going to be the deciding factor for me.

Good call! Life is full of ironies around purchasing bicycles. If On One made 853 and Niner made 4130 I'd probably still buy Niner because I'm a Ninerslut.

Chatting about weight savings on a steel bike is kinda silly - if I wanted a super light mtb I'd buy carbon or alu.

I also spoke about the comfort of steel but I have a rigid fork on. Silly huh?

I own my SS because it makes no sense - it isn't the lightest, most comfortable, cheapest or most efficient bike and I love it exactly for those reasons.

post-2412-0-63659100-1354525618_thumb.jpg

Yeah my Peace SS is 4130 CroMo and is amazing to ride.. mine has the EBB though and i like it like that!

Yeah my Peace SS is 4130 CroMo and is amazing to ride.. mine has the EBB though and i like it like that!

EBB and and a funny sized seat post clamp... whistling.gif

The Sirius and the Skookum are both Reynolds 853. If you want to go all out, have a look at their Reynolds 931 frame.

Polished stainless frames are so sexy

http://cdn4.coresites.mpora.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Pipedream-931-2.jpg