Silence That Squeaky Disc Brake

Wes84

How to Silence a Squeaky Disc Brake

Source: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Silence-That-Squeaky-Disc-Brake-2011.html

Everyone has had a day when their brakes howl like monkeys and, unless you happen to be a monkey, a persistent howler can take the fun out of a day's ride - or worse, announce your poaching whereabouts to nearby not-so-bike-friendly uniformed forest inhabitants. Before you become angry or incur another's anger again, silence those stoppers with this week's Pinkbike's Tech Tuesday disc brake how-to.

Read the full article on Pink Bike: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Silence-That-Squeaky-Disc-Brake-2011.html

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7575289/p4pb7575289.jpg

Edited by Admin
Complete article posted with no credit to the source

Doesnt seem like too much of an effort - we all (i would hope) like to tinker about on our bikes - after my last service @ manniesebroer sorted out my squeeky Avid Crs and they are supper smooth, will definately do this ifwhen the start to squeel again. thanks for the post..

Hey, MY Avids never squeak, they WAIL! I've gone partially deaf from it and I plan to sue Avid for millions very soon! Then I'll be able to buy all the dream bikes I ever wanted! Anyway, that's my plan.

All that hassle only to have it squeak in 100km again? No thanks

so, what is the solution then?

Resin pads? (Mine NEVER squeaks!!)

Move to Shimano setup?

so, what is the solution then?

Resin pads? (Mine NEVER squeaks!!)

Move to Shimano setup?

Take the brakes off the bike :-)

I bought some EBC gold pads, used them on a 30km ride yesterday, doesn't squeal as badly as the organic pads but its still there. One thing that has gone though is that awful turkey gobble sound! Funny how the back brake is fine but its the front that has the issue.

I bought some EBC gold pads, used them on a 30km ride yesterday, doesn't squeal as badly as the organic pads but its still there. One thing that has gone though is that awful turkey gobble sound! Funny how the back brake is fine but its the front that has the issue.

New Avid brakes (bikes has 400km on it), replaced the pads with oragnic Avids and did the above procedure. On the second downhill my front disk started again...this also only on the front!!!!! No issues on the back. Thinking of replacing the rotor with a shimano XT floating rotor!!!

Some of my friends recomended moving to a Shimano setup.

Edited by Der Meister

New Avid brakes (bikes has 400km on it), replaced the pads with oragnic Avids and did the above procedure. On the second downhill my front disk started again...this also only on the front!!!!! No issues on the back. Thinking of replacing the rotor with a shimano XT floating rotor!!!

To be honest my cheap and nasty Tektro Augrias and my partners Shimano 445's work and sound far better.

I had SRAM replace the rotors to HS1's and the pads from sintered to organics and that made no difference, other than fast pad wear.

So as mentioned I am now trying the EBC pads, still some squeel but it seemed better.

Funny how most issues seem to be on the front with Avids (mine are Elixir 3).

Will more than likely upgrade to Deore/SLX in the new year as finances allow.

Edited by Mojoman

Juicy 3's. None of the above afflictions (except when riding in misty conditions, then they squeel like a stuck pig)

No brake fade (going down Simonsberg's steep side towards Backsberg will test any setup.)

Very happy with my Avids.clap.gif

My front shimano/slx has the dreaded turkey squeal ,seems to come and go.Now since its been raining alot... shesa come back clap.gif