Swamp Thing - my new AM build

DR ◣◢

Bru in Cape Town we have these things. They are called mountains. You have to be pretty strong to push just a 36 here. In all seriousness running just a 36 in Cape town you have to be kaak strong. My mate Nic is strong and he runs a 34 up front with a 10 speed setup in the back with his biggest gear being a 36.

I run 26 36 on the front. and then my rear is 34 11. Likey.

You know very well that those are only "hills" when compared to Port du Soliel...

... Even the XC guys aren't stupid enough to try ride up most of those :lol:

But yeah, i see your point. A small ring is needed on the WC. But one can still drop the big ring to run a nice 2x9/10 setup.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - booted and suited, fork in 1 hand, file in the other :) ..... what you do for your mates.... but we got it sorted out in the end - small burr inside the head tube catching on the fork at some arcs of the rotation - removed the burr and skimmed gelcoat on the fork tube a tiny bit - sorted.

Guest Omega Man

You know very well that those are only "hills" when compared to Port du Soliel...

... Even the XC guys aren't stupid enough to try ride up most of those laugh.png

But yeah, i see your point. A small ring is needed on the WC. But one can still drop the big ring to run a nice 2x9/10 setup.

Ja for sure. 1x10 is the way but I'm nowhere near strong enough. A couple of guys do it here but then they run out of gears on the fun stuff. 2x9 works for me. I've got everything I need going up and all the gears i want coming down.

Yup - booted and suited, fork in 1 hand, file in the other smile.png ..... what you do for your mates.... but we got it sorted out in the end - small burr inside the head tube catching on the fork at some arcs of the rotation - removed the burr and skimmed gelcoat on the fork tube a tiny bit - sorted.

Looked like quite the surgery on that frame.

Yup - booted and suited, fork in 1 hand, file in the other smile.png ..... what you do for your mates.... but we got it sorted out in the end - small burr inside the head tube catching on the fork at some arcs of the rotation - removed the burr and skimmed gelcoat on the fork tube a tiny bit - sorted.

Bru in Cape Town we have these things. They are called mountains. You have to be pretty strong to push just a 36 here. In all seriousness running just a 36 in Cape town you have to be kaak strong. My mate Nic is strong and he runs a 34 up front with a 10 speed setup in the back with his biggest gear being a 36.

I run 26 36 on the front. and then my rear is 34 11. Likey.

Well my other bike is a 1x1 with 32x20t set up ... this bike is also just less than 1kg lighter than the Shova it does ok on the hills going ;)

With a single ring I am more concerned about running out of gears on more long fast sections.

Woodwork 101a... also known as Orthapaedics 202b.... :)

Problem was actually finding where it was rubbing - spray paint eventually showed the spot... and Mike was NOT going to let his team use a file on the fork - rightly so I suppose, although in the end I just removed a hairs worth of resin,

Woodwork 101a... also known as Orthapaedics 202b.... smile.png

Problem was actually finding where it was rubbing - spray paint eventually showed the spot... and Mike was NOT going to let his team use a file on the fork - rightly so I suppose, although in the end I just removed a hairs worth of resin,

SO glad I will never go under your knive!

Woodwork 101a... also known as Orthapaedics 202b.... smile.png

Bloody butcher ;)

SO glad I will never go under your knive!

Scalpel....

I also hope you don't need to - that would not be good - although we mostly use skills learned in scrapbooking 301c... spoeg en plak 101a and glue and screw 3b, with some assistance from recreational puzzle building - the 4 - 6 year old puzzles...

Bloody butcher wink.png

Impeccable work... fully functional, full range of movement, no visible scarring - a great outcome... better than original....

And not my bike.... :)

Scalpel....

I also hope you don't need to - that would not be good - although we mostly use skills learned in scrapbooking 301c... spoeg en plak 101a and glue and screw 3b, with some assistance from recreational puzzle building - the 4 - 6 year old puzzles...

Pretty much sums up what I have seen on the Discovery Channel. If you pulled that **** in my workshop, your @ss would be fired.

Pretty much sums up what I have seen on the Discovery Channel. If you pulled that **** in my workshop, your @ss would be fired.

Don't believe what you see on TV - its not like that normally.

I am not sure what **** you are referring to - care to elucidate?

Don't believe what you see on TV - its not like that normally.

I am not sure what **** you are referring to - care to elucidate?

tongue.png

I watched a joint replacement (think it was Reality and not Discovery come to think of it) and the amount of hammering and banging that went on was unsettleng to say the least.

IMO it looked a bit "barbaric" (there's probably a better word but nothing comes to mind right now). The tools/utensils that were used also looked rough (reffering specifically to the saw, hammer and drift/punch) Coming from an engineering background, I think I expected a higher level of finnesse considering that they were working on a human.

I need shoulder surgery and that image still haunts me! One of the reason's I'm putting it off.