Project Wifes Bike...Complete

Capcha

@ Capcha

I have a similar old bike from the 1930s that I plan to restore. The painted parts I know what to do with. What I'm not sure about is how to deal with the chromed parts like the handlebars. They have the same surface rust I see in your before picture. How did you fix that? Strip the old chrome, re polish and re-chrome?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Capcha! Lovely to see an old beast come to life again in such a groovy way. Now, you tell her to at least bring it to Moonlight Mass once a month. You tell her you didn't rebuild it for nothing. You tell her you're the man in the house and she better listen, because no cross-bar is for girls, and cross-bars are for guys, and you ride a cross-bar and she doesn't. Try that. See if it works.

@ Capcha

I have a similar old bike from the 1930s that I plan to restore. The painted parts I know what to do with. What I'm not sure about is how to deal with the chromed parts like the handlebars. They have the same surface rust I see in your before picture. How did you fix that? Strip the old chrome, re polish and re-chrome?

Yip. use a paintstripper for the chrome then the rust will come back almost emmediately. use a rust removal gel. once clean, spray a rust resistant primer. i used a paint called mirror chrome which wasnt too bad but it lost a bit of the chrome look when the final lacquer was spryed on but still looks good

Nice one Capcha! Lovely to see an old beast come to life again in such a groovy way. Now, you tell her to at least bring it to Moonlight Mass once a month. You tell her you didn't rebuild it for nothing. You tell her you're the man in the house and she better listen, because no cross-bar is for girls, and cross-bars are for guys, and you ride a cross-bar and she doesn't. Try that. See if it works.

Heehee. yeah that was the main objective to bring it to mass. we will be there for sure

That looks seriously nice. I just have a recommendation, I see you've painted the entire rim? The brakes may not work properly on the paint and will damage the paint quickly. Have you maybe considered making it a single speed with a back pedal?

Edited by JA-Q001

That looks seriously nice. I just have a recommendation, I see you've painted the entire rim? The brakes may not work properly on the paint and will damage the paint quickly. Have you maybe considered making it a single speed with a back pedal?

Hey JA-Q001. The rims were sent away to a proffessional painter and powdercoated then sealed. I was told it would not come off...lets hope

Until you drop your chain or your foot comes off the pedal. Then you have no brakes.... Fine for Schoolboys, but your Missus...

Tx guys & girls. Send more compliments, i think my heads ready to take off like a hot airballoon tongue.png She is really looking forward to mass at the end of this month. She loves her bike

remember to install those brake pads.... or your wife will never trust you again....devil.gif

It's all new technology, wireless i tell you ;)

Nicely done! Looks great clap.gif