Attempted mugging in Tokai

megdobson

Perhaps the robber will think twice before trying anything again. Kudos to whoever it was who klapped himthumbup1.gif

For those concerned re safety for their kids - if you ride during the busy weekend periods, you are probably a bit safer. I'll still take my kid there but maybe some pepper spray as well...ph34r.png

I cannot imagine robbers even trying something like this at the busy times. There are just soooo many cyclists around. The next guy is bound to come around the corner at any moment to foil his plan or to help the victim chase him down. I think the quiet times are more of a problem, especially after the gatekeepers leave late afternoon. I agree on the pepper spray as a possible aid over and above riding in groups. Also, if attacked one should make a huge racket to attract other riders' attention. There is almost always someone within earshot in Tokai.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

For all those still interested, I was the muggee...

I saw a skinny looking guy (probably early 20's or late teens) quite near the bottom left hand hairpin just before the long first climb. He was just standing playing with his cell phone. I then headed off on the single track on the right hand side and by the time i came off at the top end, he was walking up just behind me so i was already on guard. He then started jogging up alongside me as I went left at the fork. I was extremely suspicious so was ready when he suddenly made a run at me to push me off my bike.

I then grabbed him as he tried to push me, and punched him as hard as I could in the face, catching him just above his left eye. He then started to try and pull away from me. I tried to knee him in the face as well, but I don't think i really connected with him. By this time he was crying out for me to let him go. I pushed him away from me and he went running down the road, and cut down onto the hiking track.

Lessons learned:

• Be suspicious of people that look out of place.
  • I was very lucky that he was apparently unarmed
  • If you're going to defend yourself, make sure you throw the first punch, and make it a good one
  • If you see a young skinny guy with a black eye... punch the other one for me.

Happy riding everyone...

thumbup1.gif

Hi All,

For all those still interested, I was the muggee...

I saw a skinny looking guy (probably early 20's or late teens) quite near the bottom left hand hairpin just before the long first climb. He was just standing playing with his cell phone. I then headed off on the single track on the right hand side and by the time i came off at the top end, he was walking up just behind me so i was already on guard. He then started jogging up alongside me as I went left at the fork. I was extremely suspicious so was ready when he suddenly made a run at me to push me off my bike.

I then grabbed him as he tried to push me, and punched him as hard as I could in the face, catching him just above his left eye. He then started to try and pull away from me. I tried to knee him in the face as well, but I don't think i really connected with him. By this time he was crying out for me to let him go. I pushed him away from me and he went running down the road, and cut down onto the hiking track.

Lessons learned:

• Be suspicious of people that look out of place.
  • I was very lucky that he was apparently unarmed
  • If you're going to defend yourself, make sure you throw the first punch, and make it a good one
  • If you see a young skinny guy with a black eye... punch the other one for me.

Happy riding everyone...

thumbup1.gif

I have sent you a private message..

Damm...... I thought I left all of this in Gauteng when I moved down. Coming from Gauteng I fear that it will only get worse as this is how it started in GP 7, 8 years back.

Northen Farms, which is a popular XC training ground, became so worse that there was at a mugging everymonth. They, 2 or 3 guys, robbed GROUPS of people! There was / is no such thing as saftey in numbers especialy if they have a gun or threaten a lady member of the group.

I also remember a MTB race once falling victim to muggers - imagine that doing a race and then being robbed of yourb bike ON the track.

I think that Tokai will not be safe to ride once the muggers realize that it is an easy target. The only way is for guards to patrol the park which might be a bit inpractical due to the size and layout.

Remember when mugged that noting is more presiuos than your life and it is the one thing you can not replace - bicycles,cells, wallets can be bought.........even pride will return!

Damm...... I thought I left all of this in Gauteng when I moved down. Coming from Gauteng I fear that it will only get worse as this is how it started in GP 7, 8 years back.

Northen Farms, which is a popular XC training ground, became so worse that there was at a mugging everymonth. They, 2 or 3 guys, robbed GROUPS of people! There was / is no such thing as saftey in numbers especialy if they have a gun or threaten a lady member of the group.

I also remember a MTB race once falling victim to muggers - imagine that doing a race and then being robbed of yourb bike ON the track.

I think that Tokai will not be safe to ride once the muggers realize that it is an easy target. The only way is for guards to patrol the park which might be a bit inpractical due to the size and layout.

Remember when mugged that noting is more presiuos than your life and it is the one thing you can not replace - bicycles,cells, wallets can be bought.........even pride will return!

Easy tiger bear, we are taking this seriously, unlike Jhb it seems!!

EDIT: fixed

Edited by Pain or Shine

Just telling you what happened in other parts of the country.

Just telling you what happened in other parts of the country.

It was taking quite seriously in GP. Due to efforst from fellow hubbers this even got some coverage by Carte Blanche.......

You mean like being chased by pangas, axes or falling into nooses rigged from trees?

Dude, I don't want that for Tokai or any place for that matter, just telling you that your fears are being heard and history in this case, will teach us that it is not to be taken lightly!!

It was taking quite seriously in GP. Due to efforst from fellow hubbers this even got some coverage by Carte Blanche.......

..and the authorities? Did they take it seriously, even after Carte Blanche?

..and the authorities? Did they take it seriously, even after Carte Blanche?

Not looking for a fight....Tokai is the best place I have ever riden and I am a bit emotional when I read about muggers in Tokai. I know it is taken seriously by the Tokai-ens. Just please don't underestimate these scum.

Nor am I.

I read on a daily basis how we get piled in the, "oh well, you are alive" category. Sod that, if anyone experiences an attack (think 13yr old especially) and loses anything emotional or physical, they have lost too much.

I am pushing for a dog patrol in Tokai! It is on the cards but has yet to be approved, this could take time and time we do not have. You are correct in saying once the scourge takes hold it will be a problem, but I don't see it being a part of Tokai's future.

My comment earlier was just to offer some reassurance that when you report a guy chasing you with a panga, the words you hear will not be "..did you lose anything?" thinking it can be replaced through insurance. Insurance will not replace your faith in the venue.

It was not a dig on GP either but think about it, it was left to the hubbers to do something.. really?

• 2 weeks later...

Was cycling in Tokai this morning and saw two SAPS on scramblers patrolling at the start of vasbyt. Sure made me feel a bit safer and alot happier knowing that SAPS is taking this seriously. Thanks to all involved!

Was cycling in Tokai this morning and saw two SAPS on scramblers patrolling at the start of vasbyt. Sure made me feel a bit safer and alot happier knowing that SAPS is taking this seriously. Thanks to all involved!

WHAAAAA T, SCRAMBLERS IN TOKAI........... devil.gif

It's taken 30 something years for a motorcycle to be allowed in the park... just fyi..

Call me paranoid or sissy or whatever you want, but I always ride with a fixed blade knife close at hand.

I usually ride alone & sometimes late afternoon.

You never know when you run into some bike trouble & you only on the way after dark.

Just cut off the hand that wants to steal - it'll never steal again devil.gif