Open water swims in Joburg...

dracs

Any tips on where and when to do one this long weekend? I want to do a practice wetsuit swim....

Flexible on the where and when - just not early morning Sat or Sun as I have rides planned.

Edited by dracs

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dracs I dont live in Joburg anymore. However I can tell you to stay away from Germiston as well as Emmarentia Dam especially after the rains.

Maybe look for a dam in the Cradle somewhere? There are plenty of clean dams around there!

Also never swim alone.

Lake Heritage is a good bet. You can access the water at Heia Safari, just off Beyers Naude in the Cradle. Pristine water

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Heritage is a good bet. You can access the water at Heia Safari, just off Beyers Naude in the Cradle. Pristine water

Called them and they say no open swimming on your own anymore :(

OW swimming on your own is dangerous and unwise.

Emmarentia is fine

Heritage

Base9 ski dam near Tembisa

Heya Safari if the hippos aren't around

Bass Lake is lovely, but closed at the moment I think.

yes dont swim alone and do wear a bright yellow cap. never know when one of the canoeists is gonna run you over or the hippo mistakes you for a tasty bit clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Called them and they say no open swimming on your own anymore sad.png

Wish I had seen your reply before I went out to Lake Heritage a week or so back to swim.

I see that some open water swims take place at Florida Lake. Anyone know if it's ok to train there?

• 8 months later...

Yeah I reckon I'm gonna freeze cos there is no ways the water is warm yet. Need some OW practice in the wetsuit though so I'll take 1 x 3km swim with an icecream headache on the side

Yeah I reckon I'm gonna freeze cos there is no ways the water is warm yet. Need some OW practice in the wetsuit though so I'll take 1 x 3km swim with an icecream headache on the side

Thanks for sharing... one week before the 5150 in edenvale - I am keen. I wonder just how cold the water is...?

See there is also a 1500m option the day after - Sunday 27th. Think I may go for that

Edited by dracs

Are these swims wetsuit legal? Don't think OWS races allow wetsuits.

Davem is wise beyond his years.

No wetsuits allowed. I am rethinking entering this now.