Fake Pina's on Gumtree

MTB_Roadie

As a matter of interest, I have a client who imports Chinese replacement parts for a certain luxury German brand of cars.

He has very few comebacks. He said there is a problem with a specific part he sells and he has had 5 returned out of 200 sold

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a photo where the front forks on a Chinarello snapped in half while riding, they were stuffed with newspaper. Is that a Pinarello anti vibration design that was copied by the Chinese?

This one?

post-615-0-77261600-1357211478_thumb.jpg

What many people seem to fail to realise is that people don't necessarily go for the brands because they are more expensive, thereby buying them some street cred with their friends, but because (I would like to think) buying something that is clearly a copy of someone else's intellectual property is morally abhorrent. It destroys incentive to innovate, and surely that must contribute to the death of any society...

What many people seem to fail to realise is that people don't necessarily go for the brands because they are more expensive, thereby buying them some street cred with their friends, but because (I would like to think) buying something that is clearly a copy of someone else's intellectual property is morally abhorrent. It destroys incentive to innovate, and surely that must contribute to the death of any society...

...hmmm... nope! I'm pretty sure they spend the big bucks for the bragging rights!

Like seriously... spending 40k more just cos it's morally right... I think you may be living in the past, cos it doesn't sound like the world I live in! Most people are more concerned about image than ethics.

EDIT: and no, I'm not saying I'd buy the Chinese copy. I wouldn't buy the over-priced branded frame either. Choose option C

Edited by patches

...hmmm... nope! I'm pretty sure they spend the big bucks for the bragging rights!

Like seriously... spending 40k more just cos it's morally right... I think you may be living in the past, cos it doesn't sound like the world I live in! Most people are more concerned about image than ethics.

Perhaps we live in different worlds...because I certainly don't attribute much value to something that someone has bought...thinking they are cool, etc...

Perhaps we live in different worlds...because I certainly don't attribute much value to something that someone has bought...thinking they are cool, etc...

but that's the key right there! You may not... and that's a good quality to have! But the fact is that the majority of society is so materialistic and image orientated. Knock off Louis Vuitton handbags, Oakley sunglasses, and Pinarello frames would not be produced, if people didn't buy them.

Exactly

There is so much innovation going on to assist humanity, in healthcare, sanitation, clearing up oil spills etc etc

EDIT: and no, I'm not saying I'd buy the Chinese copy. I wouldn't buy the over-priced branded frame either. Choose option C

Sure only the wealthiest can afford the best technology, and there in lies the incentive to spend the big R&D bucks. But as a prime example look at the S Class Merc for years now they cater for the wealthy, but that technolgy filters down tothe lower end models and even to other manufacturers.

Option C is great, it gives another brand revenue to be competitive and do their own development

but that's the key right there! You may not... and that's a good quality to have! But the fact is that the majority of society is so materialistic and image orientated. Knock off Louis Vuitton handbags, Oakley sunglasses, and Pinarello frames would not be produced, if people didn't buy them.

I agree that the majority of society is materialistic, especially in the backwaters of civilisation, but if you go to more advanced society's, you would clearly notice a strong movement away from materialism...Surely that is what we should strive for...My experience of people that want to brag about what they have is largely driven by from where they came from... Examples are rife in SA. I drove past a shack recently with an M3 parked outside of it....and I saw it again on my way back...

I never really thought of buying these frames, but after a bit of googling a nice 50mm carbon wheelset for R4k doesn't seem like a bad idea...

I agree that the majority of society is materialistic, especially in the backwaters of civilisation, but if you go to more advanced society's, you would clearly notice a strong movement away from materialism...Surely that is what we should strive for...My experience of people that want to brag about what they have is largely driven by from where they came from... Examples are rife in SA. I drove past a shack recently with an M3 parked outside of it....and I saw it again on my way back...

I see this as a bit of 'new' money vs 'old' money. If you have been used to wealth from early on I dont think there is that type of need as oppsed to 'new' money, who generally dont carry the class of 'old' money.

Much like the double chivas and ginger ale .............

I see this as a bit of 'new' money vs 'old' money. If you have been used to wealth from early on I dont think there is that type of need as oppsed to 'new' money, who generally dont carry the class of 'old' money.

Much like the double chivas and ginger ale .............

I thought something similar the other day.... One of our business associates is widely recognised to be worth well over a billion rand. He arrives at meetings in his 2000 Prado, probably worth less than R100 000? Parked next to him is a recently qualified "New money" attorney in his new model Range Rover. I wondered to myself, who has what to prove here?

Edited by Octavian

yup! SA is particularly bad! And especially when it comes to cars. For ages now I've wanted a panel van (for the bikes). I remember mentioning this to someone and they laughed and said "No girl is going to go out with you when you drive a car like that". And whilst yes, a Golf GTI or something like that might impress the local ladies more, it's just a result of the materialistic mentality.

During last years trip to the Alps, I noticed that the people there have a totally different outlook. They have money... they must do to live in those beautiful little alpine villages. But they have neat modest little homes (sufficient for their needs), and most of them drive... yup, you guessed it... panel vans! They see a vehicle more as a practicality, than a status symbol.

My uncle (from Bavaria) recently traveled out here and was shocked at how materiaistic SA is in comparison to parts of Europe (and a lot of the rest of the world he has seen as a commercial pilot).

So yeah... I bought a practical panel van, not a BMW 318 re-badged as an M3 :lol:

I thought something similar the other day.... One of our business associates is widely recognised to be worth well over a billion rand. He arrives at meetings in his 2000 Prado, probably worth less than R100 000? Parked next to him is a recently qualified "New money" attorney in his new model Range Rover. I wondered to myself, who has what to prove here?

Firstly - i would snap up a R100k 2000 Prado .... whistling.gif

I think it can be attibuted to something along the lines of maslows hirachy of needs ... some are still near the bottom while others have 'transended'.

Long and short of the story...China officially build carbon frames for Pinarello and other brands........only difference is the price who is determined by the retailer.I bought a Schwinn fast Back Pro in December 2003 (Top of the range at that stage) made in Taiwan ,official frame builder for Schwinn. Had the bike now for 9 years. Had no problems.Why pay 50k if you can get the exact same thing for 20k?????

Long and short of the story...China officially build carbon frames for Pinarello and other brands........only difference is the price who is determined by the retailer.I bought a Schwinn fast Back Pro in December 2003 (Top of the range at that stage) made in Taiwan ,official frame builder for Schwinn. Had the bike now for 9 years. Had no problems.Why pay 50k if you can get the exact same thing for 20k?????
have you read all the posts?

Why work if you can just steal?

I have no problem with generic - but i do have a prob with people passing them as origional.

Edited by JGR