Please explain long stems??

Delilah

Hi guys,

For some time now I've been puzzled by the existence of 130-150mm stems. Do they offer any advantage I'm not aware of? The only reasons I could think of to buy one are:

• Your bike is too small. But then overall fit is going to be problem too, so why bother?
  • You want to fit your iPhone on the stem. But then you'd be better off with another phone tongue.png
  • Or lastly, you are built like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Ape.jpg

Please enlighten me. Thanks!

D

PS: I've also noted that the only stems to have crazy discounts at sale time are these really long ones. Clearly they are not popular...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pros use them on road bikes to get their upper bodies as low and aero as possible, to save energy when the break or sprint. They often ride with the stem "slammed" (no spacers) too. Non pros do it because the pros do it.

I think these stems are seen on mtbs when a road fit is transferred to mtb (not always a great idea for handling)

Edited by Christie

The pros use them on road bikes to get their upper bodies as low and aero as possible, to save energy when the break or sprint. They often ride with the stem "slammed" (no spacers) too. Non pros do it because the pros do it.

I think these stems are seen on mtbs when a road fit is transferred to mtb (not always a great idea for handling)

Aaaaaahhh, makes sense, thanks! I really need to address my ignorance of roadie-related matters! blush.png

I am afraid thats my body shape as the above picture.

Not to bad on compact frame.

But normal steel frame no seat post need and a long stem.

Cheers

Dion

All the above makes sense but if you are going too low on your bike your handlebar to seat drop is too low and you put your back under more strain or does flexibility play a role.

Edited by Cippo

All the above makes sense but if you are going too low on your bike your handlebar to seat drop is too low and you put your back under more strain or does flexibility play a role.

Flexibility does play a roll, but your neck can only flex up so far so lots top consider.

Long stems hail from the 80's / 90's before we knew about bike set-up and handling what we know today. Most guys running long stems will be better served up-sizing bike with a shorter stem and wider bars. It's never good to have you weight too far over the front wheel. Will make for some nasty falls and one very nervous bike.

Long stems (along with narrow bars) are there for people who like the feel of a bike that handles like a drunk donkey.

For everyone else, do what Crow suggests... get a slightly longer frame, shorter stem, wider bars.

Absolutely. Long stems are the bane of control & handling efficiency. Anyone who says the opposite is exceedingly deluded.

And if you need long stem to compensate for a too-short top tube, you've got the wrong sized bike. Pure and simple.

Obviously this is more relevant to MTB than road (where you will be more inclined to change direction smoothly and quickly, and have changes in body position on the bike - road is by comparison a smooth, flowy handling experience - hardly ever do you need to have a rapid change of position or direction - it's a lot smoother) but the narrow bar / long stem infatuation is not a good one for handling and control on an MTB.

I've had to put a longer stem on my bike due to it's geometry and fit because it has a shorter than average toptube. I'm one of those guys that fit between a medium and large, so based on comments so far would it be better then to go for a large frame and put on a shorter stem with wide bars?

I've had to put a longer stem on my bike due to it's geometry and fit because it has a shorter than average toptube. I'm one of those guys that fit between a medium and large, so based on comments so far would it be better then to go for a large frame and put on a shorter stem with wide bars?

Absolutely. I'm also between Med and Large and have done exactly that. Still can't believe I haven't done this sooner.

There is a perception that a shorter stem is better for lower back issues. This isn't really the case. Since I’ve gone for a longer stem I’m more stretched out and flatter instead of hunched and upright. My back is much happier for it.

I would rather play with stem length rather than frame size unless you are on the cusp of two different sizes. Some of my bikes are small, some medium. Never noticed any real difference in handling using a stem that is 20-30mm longer or shorter. More of a comfort factor.