Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

Rode with MirageF1 the other day, Mamba hadn't been touched yet, but going up Boomslang was a mess, couldn't even walk most of it!

On the other hand that bit of rain really helped putting some grip back into Vasbyt, as the summer has really turned it into a dusty trail.

Give us all a good heads up with the rebuilds, I've noted the build day on 2 Feb, going to try my best to pull through!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if one wanted to go to tokai, what trails are actually ok to ride on still, and are they marked which you can go on and which not?

Never done tokai before so just curious, might head up this afternoon.

Hey you back in town!

Ja boet, long time away...saw you up there yesterday...

Okes, this ou needs a medal for trying single handedly to keep trails open (ok he did have his 6 (sic) year daughter with him but suspect she was there to look for pretty flowers!). It's Friday afternoon, he's on the the hill, man alleen, trying to clear Boomslang for the weekend warriors! .......pity it's too trashed! Still, give the man a Bells for trying!

Hell, give him a bottle! The problem I forsee is that we spend all winter getting the snaketrails better than ever! Then next summer they turn to sand and dust due to the lack of shade and extreme heat.

Hell, give him a bottle! The problem I forsee is that we spend all winter getting the snaketrails better than ever! Then next summer they turn to sand and dust due to the lack of shade and extreme heat.

Jimmy, laterite reinforced trails is the only way forward.

Meurant is very impressed with dh 1 btw. Says it looks professional. Consider the same finish for the snake trails.

Anyone see the article in the weekend paper, a small insert noting the damage the felling has caused? Like felling trees can be done without any destruction, the sheer concept of felling trees IS destruction. Duh.

I'll definitely be putting up a plan for the volunteer builds. Tokai is what it is because of volunteers, that should not be forgotten. So we all drink bells together!

Hey Pain or Shine,

I hear you need Bells on your bike or you're a criminal. Is it true? I can imagine riding with one Bell on the bike, but with Bells I think I might just fall over even more than usual. How do you do it? Mix with Red Bull?

Hey Pain or Shine,

I hear you need Bells on your bike or you're a criminal. Is it true? I can imagine riding with one Bell on the bike, but with Bells I think I might just fall over even more than usual. How do you do it? Mix with Red Bull?

Ha ha yes, at some point someone lobbying for bells on bikes should clarify... ;)

If we can redo the snake trails to flow like dh1 it will be awesome. Of course the jumps will have to be smaller but that's cool. Can't hit the big jumps with bells anyway...

It will certainly make the best of the slope. Think flow trail. The AM trail is planned somewhere else.

You pay road tax to drive roads closed for repair. You pay your bond for the month you are on holiday. I don't get your point?

You seriously going to use this logic??

Granted there are other trails to ride in Tokai, but a lot of people don't have the skills to ride the DH course, or it is too hot in the sun to go up to the Bridle Path.

Cobra is a complete mess, Rinkhals too. Boomslang connected up 3 trails quite nicely for a decent amount of single track riding.

What happened to the agreement to clear the trails for the weekend?

Any idea of when roughly the current logging on the trails will be complete?

I ask this I I rarely get to TK and when I do go I would like ride as much of the trails as possible.

I have not been very impressed with my Shova toward the end of the year, she was just riding like a raleigh. Ended up fiddling with the suspension set up and took my time to get it right, now the bike is flipping awesome.....so a TK ride is calling me!

Come ride with us next week, we can do the other trails. DH trails are really nice, and perfect for the Shova, never mind the Bridle path/Switchbacks which are great as usual.

Come ride with us next week, we can do the other trails. DH trails are really nice, and perfect for the Shova, never mind the Bridle path/Switchbacks which are great as usual.

Might well take you up on that offer as I will not be doing the 24hr this coming weekend due to unforeseen circumstances.

Might well take you up on that offer as I will not be doing the 24hr this coming weekend due to unforeseen circumstances.

Cool, not going either. Will not be in good books if I leave my preggie wife at home on her own and something happens.

You seriously going to use this logic??

Granted there are other trails to ride in Tokai, but a lot of people don't have the skills to ride the DH course, or it is too hot in the sun to go up to the Bridle Path.

Cobra is a complete mess, Rinkhals too. Boomslang connected up 3 trails quite nicely for a decent amount of single track riding.

What happened to the agreement to clear the trails for the weekend?

Sorry but this is a commercial logging project, their first priority is to complete the job by a certain date, if they can get it done sooner it will satisfy many more people. I am not going to make excuses for Cape Pine, their agreement was to assist by clearing, I can only assume there is a valid reason why the trees still lined the trails this weekend. I did notice one of their machines has not moved since Wednesday. Possible cause?

And what is wrong with my logic? Do you want a discount in relation to how many trails you can ride? Should the bank only charge you for the time you spend in your house?

Quite frankly I am amazed by how many people don't know that the pines were going to be cut. Do you know that this has been in debate for years? It was only a matter of time before this block was going and if the logging has messed up the trail, there should be no surprise either -It is logging.

If the sun is too hot, ride earlier or later. If you cannot ride the DH, please don't. There are other trails to ride and other destinations that offer temporary relief while the logging is in progress. Your understanding is actually needed right now. I could be wrong but to moan about the entry fee while the commercial logging carried out by a group totally separate from TMNP seems a bit short of the understanding that is needed.

Regarding Cobra and Rinkhals. The current state of the trail has given enough motivation for rebuilding them to a sustainable standard and provided enough cause to reroute the remaining pine lined trails that are being cleared now. There is no way the current trail design will withstand the full sun/rain without tree and pine needle cover. This discussion still has to be knocked around between TokaiMTB and TMNP but the feeling is, there is enough reason to realign. Remember, these talks actually requires the EMP to be completed, so the fact that we are discussing the changes now is a big, sensitive step!

The vision for Tokai is long-term, this means there will be planning and negotiating needed but above all, patience. The pieces are falling into place an no amount of haste will make them fall any faster. In this case, circumstance is our friend.

Cool, not going either. Will not be in good books if I leave my preggie wife at home on her own and something happens.

It's getting closer! And dude - those "black book" entries extend fo at least a year past birth!