1.5 m rule

cat-i

I saw several calls for a 1.5m law on twitter.

How would a 1.5m law make our roads safer?

How would a law like that be enforced? (when was it 140cm, and when was it 160cm?)

What else could authorities possibly do to prevent more accidents?

All traffic fines must be multiplied by 10! This will make all road users think and drive according to the rules. Time to scare us all to obay the rules.

What it means is that if you are hit the driver has automatically broken a law....it does not make it safer, but it allows drivers to be prosecuted. In Burry's case the taxi driver will have a harder time defending the culpable homicide case against him.

I don't see a way of this working to be honest but maybe someone else has an idea?

But it does seem to be the most immediate solution.

We need everyone to play nice on the roads but that will take a long time, if it ever happens.

In Burry's case, it sounded like the vehicle made a right-turn in front of him?

What is the biggest danger when on a bike?

Edited by cat-i

Wife says there is no way I am allowed to commute any more,,, starting to think she has a point, I think it'd Belgium if you are hit /knocked by a car, the driver has got huge issues he needs to sort out, it's a huge concern for car drivers if they even go near bikes, we need to get that right don't know how they did it, but that's all that will work......... It must be one of the biggest offences if you hit a biker

Cat-i

my view, and I might be flamed for it, the 1.5m will have no impact, there are allot of law's none of them are being enforced. This will just be another.

It's all about attitude towards each other out there, added to proper law enforcement, a law means nothing if you break it and there is no repercussions.

G

I saw several calls for a 1.5m law on twitter.

How would a 1.5m law make our roads safer?

How would a law like that be enforced? (when was it 140cm, and when was it 160cm?)

What else could authorities possibly do to prevent more accidents?

DJR

I'm going to better you, awareness means nothing without a positive Attitude.

G

True

1.5m law makes sense everywhere in the world it applies. Because it becomes an offence to pass a cyclist within 1.5m motorists tend to give cyclists a wider berth which is all I really want, not being clipped by a motorist travelling a more than double my speed.

Of course that makes sense.

It also means you can lay a charge against any driver who endangers you by not respecting this distance and law.

Carbon

and how many other law's are being broken by just about everyone as it is on the road, does anyone think this additional law will be adhered to now.

yes, I agree with the concept of the 1.5m, but to get people to not break this one they have to adhere to the others, and thats not being done, when we have our traffic cops driving around like hooligans, whats the chance that joe public will.

if we can't respect each other to start with, we won't respect the law, we will have the attitude of who gives a ****... another law, how ever good it worked in other countries wont work here if the attitude of everyone on the road is is screw the law.

thats all i'm saying.

fix the root cause, don't try a band aid.

G

The biggest problem is a total lack of respect for EVERYTHING. People aren't capable of policing themselves at the moment. The police are only interested in generating income from speeding. There needs to be more visible policing as well as policing of moving violations. Unroadworthy cars need to be pulled off the roads. Traffic violations need to be punished (not stopping at robots and stop streets, illegal turns, stopping anywhere you like, etc) Metro need to start enforcing road rules instead of setting up camp on the centre median... they can create as many laws as they want. If they aren't enforced, they are useless. People also need to be educated. Bring back Zibi and traffic education to primary school as well as general awareness for the WHOLE year instead of just two weeks in December regarding road safety. It will take a while. Attitudes won't change overnight. Unfortunately we don't have a 1st world culture so applying 1st world mentality is a fruitless exercise.

Don't forget cyclists are supposed to ride in single file and obey road signs, traffic lights ect. I suppose when we ALL start doing that then we might have a right to complain about other road users not obeying the 1,5m rule.

At the moment cyclists seem to think they are above the law and its about time cops started prosecuting for ignoring stop signs, traffic lights, road markings etc.

Agree 100% with awesme and grebel. The majority of the people in this country has no respect for another persons life.

Look at the gang rape in india, HUGE news, here it's a weekly phenomenon.

Rules won't change anything. The mentality of our population has to change first.

IMHO, only way of making our roads safe for cyclists is to not use them...get a mtb and keep off the tar.

Edited by wheelerdealer