Buying second hand - I thought I had a gem, but then......

divernick

I found a bargain on another classifieds website, called the gent and arranged to meet.

Old school Peugeot Rapport was the item for 400 Randelas.

post-19617-0-72206800-1357651780_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-10500200-1357651781_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-51528200-1357651781_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-87816000-1357651781_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-20888800-1357651782_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-66439100-1357651782_thumb.jpg

But on closer inspection, I noticed that the top tube had a spiral crack in it at the internal cable routing aperture.

So Sad. I still bought the bike for parts though....vintage aero brake levers are hard to come by!

post-19617-0-65628400-1357651860_thumb.jpg

Is it steel or aluminium? Steel can be welded!

Ja, it's a Rapport ... steel .. fixable. Moenie paniekerig raak nie.

Yes.

And to DJR, you can also weld alumium. Um, most of the aluminium frames you see are welded. The bonded ones are sadly a thing of beauty long discarded.

Groovy old thing, BTW. R119 new in the late 70s, if I remember correctly. Funny, everyone had Pugs in those days ... what happened to them all?

Aluminium is heat treated after welding the frame together to harden and strengthen the frame. Welding it afterwards, leaves a weak area directly next to the repair weld where it will fail again.

No such problem with steel. Just have to repair the paintwork afterwards.

Aluminium is heat treated after welding the frame together to harden and strengthen the frame. Welding it afterwards, leaves a weak area directly next to the repair weld where it will fail again.

Or, weld and re heat treat, or not. Anecdotal evidence says both are relevant, and simply welding and going is just fine.

http://weldingweb.co...hp/t-20143.html

Edited by TNT1

Would one weld or braze in this instance?

Depends if it is steel or ali.

Edit: I see it is steel. Get somebody to braze it.

Edited by Grebel

Promise it is steel.

Passed up a steel pug with the same gruppo and biopace cranks for R1k a few years ago. Should have made an offer...

Forget the Rapport, what about a Peugeot Mirage MK II. Only the top guys rode those :-)

huh?

Heat treating Al frames to harden / strength them post-welding, would like to read more on that technique.

AFAIK the heat treatment of metal frames is to relieve thermally induced stresses (expansion due to heat) - heating them up 'relaxes' the metal, but that's mainly (Fe Alloy) steel frames.

And you can heat treat carbon steel to harden it, but then its brittle and has to be tempered. Used for tool making.

Edited by kosmonooit