Licence plate numbers for bikes

Active Monkey

holy moly not this crap again.

Festive season death toll : 1279 as of 5 days ago, probably a hundred odd more by now - willing to bet 99% license plate bearing vehicles

Cyclist running red light death toll : 0

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we don't need to wear special numbers or bike number plates, etc. If this really worries anyone, get together and approach the authorities to enforce the traffic laws, the infrastructure for this exists, albeit in a corrupted state. That way, all road users will at some stage get caught for traffic act contraventions and only then will the roads eventually become safer. Unfortunately we are not up to EU standards, this remains Africa, our president is a sad reminder these days when he opens his mouth to change feet.

At the Druiwefees on Saturday, a traffic vehicle is holding traffic back just before Bela Bela and the bicycles are passing left but some *&^% baboon (apologies to the real baboons) decides he is too important and overtakes all the cars on the RHS, partly off the road. Don't know if the cop did anything, as we were passing him as this happened but I doubt he has the gonads for any action.

We all blame the cyclists, taxis, truck drivers, etc. for the way they drive and they drive like that because they can. I commute between Pretoria & Jhb each working day and I don't see the traffic cops anymore, so where are they hiding? They can't all be stopping cars at OR Tambo. Incidently, have R 30 bucks in your ID in case you roll over the parking lot stop line. Eish, it says STOP.

Its the African way.

The Cops are sitting on the New Jersey barriers in the median taking photographs of you speeding. It will still happen when a car hits the new jersey barrie close to the cop/photographer and he will be flung into oncoming traffic. I wonder if this type of activity is not prhibited by the OHSAct????

holy moly not this crap again.

Festive season death toll : 1279 as of 5 days ago, probably a hundred odd more by now - willing to bet 99% license plate bearing vehicles

Cyclist running red light death toll : 0

So you say it is OK to run the red light....... your luck may run out and you will just be called poor Luke!!!!!!!

This might upset the weight weenies.......

I will get a carbon one. My bike is heavy enough as it is. Btw it was brought up by PPA on Capetalk on Monday. The goverment is not prepared to deal with administration of it and it would cost too much to implement. As bicycles do not cause any danage to roads as well we are not liable for road taxes.

Have you ever reported any road user? I have and nothing happens to that person.

Look for the route cause if the problem.

Well im sure this is a good start don't you think?

I agree that we need to have disc licences on our bikes like old days. If the bicycle worth R1000, licence is R50/yr.

If the bicycle worth R50 000, licence is R100/yr.

It is difficult for cops to fine the riders for disobeying the rules. That is why we need licences.. If they don't carry licences, the cops take away the bicycles, until you renew licences...

I saw lots of riders jumping thru red robots, swearing at drivers, blocking the roads, carrying no helmets, arrogants etc...

I feel that causes drivers to be angry and don't care about them, until too late...

The basic premise that more law-abiding cyclists will protect us from death on the road is fine, in a world where every single driver on the road is also a fellow cyclist who has decided to up their driving game as well.

But here is the reality : many cyclists were *** drivers before they were cyclists, and will remain so. No amount of lycra and carbon will change this. The evidence is right here on this thread - the stoopid, repeated ad-nauseum premise that we must put our round bike pegs in the square car hole, and hang number plates off them.

Death on SA roads is 99% down to driver negligence and drunken driving. Stopping your bike at every stop street will not put any kind of dent into this hard reality.

Rather learn to drive better, and encourage everybody you know to do the same. Keep your eyes open for drunk drivers, and report them immediately before they kill someone. This was my contribution to preserving all of your asses this festive season.

Won't work. Will only be another form of income for the goverment.

If it was an easy ,effective and cheap license to get and put on, I won't mind. If it's like getting a car license, then I don't even want to bother.

Also I can't see the larger of the bicycle commuter comunity paying for a license.

BTW: Will a bicycle be checked for road worthyness? What will the criteria be?

Go and read the road traffic act . There you will find what a bycicle needs to be "road Worthy " . But that is not really the point is it ?

Even if the government is not fining these people we as cyclist could start doing something about the guys that are breaking the laws. If we can identify who the offending cyclists are we can try our best to address the matter. (not using violence if thats what some of you are thinking).

You could write a letter to the cyclist explaining the rules of the road and tell him them how they are giving all cyclist out there a bad name because of his/her behaviour on the road. I know its a long shot but we could try

good idea, but wont work here.

how many people driving cars and motorbikes for one have illegal plates.

bikes especially, some dont even bother putting one on.

plus in that regard the fine for not plate is minimal comparred to a 200kph speeding fine.

Won't work. Will only be another form of income for the goverment.

If it was an easy ,effective and cheap license to get and put on, I won't mind. If it's like getting a car license, then I don't even want to bother.

Also I can't see the larger of the bicycle commuter comunity paying for a license.

BTW: Will a bicycle be checked for road worthyness? What will the criteria be?

Love the Hub, a problem for every solution!

good idea, but wont work here.

how many people driving cars and motorbikes for one have illegal plates.

bikes especially, some dont even bother putting one on.

plus in that regard the fine for not plate is minimal comparred to a 200kph speeding fine.

Love the Hub, a problem for every solution!

a reality though

a reality though

Yeah kinda, but if there is a way in which cyclists and motorists could start sharing the roads in the safest way possible ill be happy to try anything at this stage