Cyclists and road laws. Red lights, etc. (merged)

The Ouzo

I'm relatively new to cycling, so please excuse my ignorance.

I see numerous posts where people rant against cyclists jumping red lights, but I'd like to know whether this is actually illegal and what the penalty is for a transgression?

I've scanned through the National Road Traffic Act of 1996, and from my cursory reading it would seem that bicycles are not considered to be vehicles, and that the laws applicable to vehicles thus cannot apply to bicycles. (A "motor vehicle" is specifically defined as being inclusive of "a vehicle having pedals and an engine", meaning a vehicle having only pedals would fall outside the definition of a vehicle. And no smart comments about your legs being the engine, please smile.png )

Is there another Act specifically dealing with bicycles? If so, could someone please point me towards said Act? Perhaps I'm just missing the relevant section in the Act or misreading it.

Not sure if it is a sticky post but I posted all the AARTO rules pertaining to bicycles and everyone on the hub breaks these rules, such as reflectors on pedals and bell

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hear hear

Didn't jump one red light this morning in 150 minutes on the road, a fair chunk of it in the rain (clearly no passion there) and only had 7 cars hoot at me, 6 in a friendly "hey I'm here behind you" short beep friendly sort of way, all got a little hand wave acknowledging, and one plonker in his bakkie who gave it a good 5 second blast followed by a hand with the bird out of his window who got even a bigger friendly wave (I have found that pisses them off even more than replying with the bird). My crime in his eyes? Being on the road. He repeated his hooting at others all the way out of site.

But overall, a nice passion filled ride around the peninsula on a coldish and very wet morning. Oh, and before I forget, lot's of hellos or good mornings to and from the other dopers making money from riding their bikes this morning. In the rain. Not having any fun at all.

And today I put my lumo green helmet on just for fun.

Don't you just hate it when motorists hoot at you just for the sake of hooting? Sometimes it is just to say hello but they tend to wait till they are just behind you and then hoot. Most of the time i get such a fright that i almost swerve in their direction

Edited by Jaco-fiets

The Act is available here if anyone's interested: http://www.info.gov....Action?id=70930

Chapter I, section 1 clearly defines a person on a bicycle as a driver of a vehicle.

Chapter IX spells out amongst others that no person may fail to stop at a stop sign, and that unless otherwise directed by a traffic official, no person may fail to obey any traffic sign.

For the obtuse, a traffic light is considered a traffic sign.

The general response here is typical of a chain around November (when all are gatvol and logic takes a back seat to quick tempers and irritation), rather than January, when everybody should be rested and a little more tolerant - what gives?!NOWHERE did the OP said he wants to exploit some (imaginery) loophole.He simply asked where is the rule spelled out...

Edited by Akon

For those that still don't understand:

(xv) "driver" means any person who drives or attempts to drive any

vehicle or who rides or attempts to ride any pedal cycle or who

leads any draught, pack or saddle animal or herd or flock of

animals, and "drive" or any like word has a corresponding meaning;

(ii)

(xlviii) "Pedal cycle" means any bicycle or tricycle designed for

propulsion solely by means of human power; (lxxii)

58. (1) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall, unless otherwise

directed by a traffic officer, fail to comply with any direction conveyed by a

road traffic sign displayed in the prescribed manner.

[subsection 3 refers to fire-fighting vehicles/ emergency vehicles]

Minister may prescribe road traffic signs

56. (1) The Minister may, subject to this Act and for the purpose of

prohibiting, limiting, regulating or controlling traffic in general or any

particular class of traffic on a public road or a section thereof or for the

purpose of designating any public road or a section thereof as a public road

of

a particular class, prescribe such signs, signals, markings or other devices

(to be known as road traffic signs) as he or she may deem expedient, as well

as their significance and the conditions on and circumstances under which any

road

traffic sign may be displayed on a public road

As per the quote above, no person may disregard any traffic sign unless they comply with subsection 3, which considers emergency vehicles and their guidelines in disregarding traffic signs.

Edited by Bianchi

good question on the "legal" aspect.

am I correct then, that a "person" must not fail to comply, and a person is either walking, is on a pedal cycle or a motorised vehicle ?

Nou waar is Daantjie Kat as jy hom nodig hetwacko.png

Ek ken actually die 'oom' wat Daantjie Kat was!!!

good question on the "legal" aspect.

am I correct then, that a "person" must not fail to comply, and a person is either walking, is on a pedal cycle or a motorised vehicle ?

Well, at a traffic light, a pedestrian is compelled to obey the traffic sign, isn't he? Read the act.

Suiper, you have clearly suiped a bit much over the festive season. Pedal cycles are by law (RTA, part one, chapter 1) vehicles. By law all vehicles must stop at a red light. When the light changes green you may proceed through the intersection provided it is safe to do so. It is only at a stop street where you may proceed as soon as it is safe to do so. It is only at a yield sign where you do not have to stop completely.

OK, thanks for all the replies so far, but so far no one has been able to point me to the actual legislation making it illegal for a bicycle to jump a red light.

Saying something's illegal unfortunately doesn't make it so.

I'm not denying it's stupid and dangerous, I'd just like to know where the law is that makes it illegal.

The Act is available here if anyone's interested: http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=70930

Look under the 'definitions' section, the term driver includes someone operating or attempting to operate a pedal cycle and a bicycle would be included in the term vehicle, I'm not sure where your confusions lies?