IDT vs Home Spinning Bike

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a spinning bike just a bit more than a year ago and I have used it extensively. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get to spinning at the gym as much after my son was born last year January and after Virgin Active got the new spinning bikes I didn't want to go anyway. Very convenient to just jump on after work for an hour and get some high intensity work done.

It does get boring though so I try and alternate between some Sufferfest videos and Jamie Morton spinning mp3's. I'll start going to the gym to spin again this year, just to mix things up a bit.

I got the spinning bike at a really good price so it was much cheaper than buying a trainer and new wheel.

I'm actually considering getting an IDT now so that my wife and I can train together at home. One on the spiining bike and one on the IDT.

I have an IDT and use it extensively. I have an old road bike that i put on there so no issues with changing wheels etc. Boredom is a problem however and at 40 min my sensitive bits are numb. Try putting a cycling dvd/DH Redbull Rampage on while you training. Works wonders for me. Oh and good music!

Edited by specializedfan

I have an IDT and use it extensively. I have an old road bike that i put on there so no issues with changing wheels etc. Boredom is a problem however and at 40 min my sensitive bits are numb. Try putting a cycling dvd/DH Redbull Rampage on while you training. Works wonders for me. Oh and good music!

yes any indoor training gets boring some time or another. I just find my rollers keeps the bordom at bay better than my A-frame. that being said, I do cycle on my rollers in front of the TV (accept for when I do Lactic threshold training, then I keep my eyes fixed on the cycle computer and counting/wishing down the seconds)

I've been through 2 indoor trainers and a spinning bike.hated them both

Just got myself a set of second hand rollers and they are awesome (in compariosn to the others-not being on the road)

havent got to the stage of being able to watch tv while using it yet- but up and riding after 45 min practice and it feels far more realistic than being locked in the same spot

I bought a set of rollers in 2008 after I broke my arm riding MX. It was the best buy ever. I have a spare road bike (old cannondale 3.0) permanently set up in the lounge in front of the TV. I do a lot of very useful training on it, I can do up to 2 hour sessions like that. I have the giant rollers, and I have only ever had to replace the tension adjuster in 4 years and 100's of hours use.

The setup.

post-41053-0-06453600-1358145454_thumb.jpg

Edited by NitroDoni41

spinning bike for sure

all the hassle with an IDT (taking the bike on and off), plus the noise drives me crazy. I used my nice white Giant IDT twice, it now gathers dust in my garage somewhere.

Not sure about the IDT or spinning bike - but I would recommend you try Cadence Cycling in Four Ways!

I bought a set of rollers in 2008 after I broke my arm riding MX. It was the best buy ever. I have a spare road bike (old cannondale 3.0) permanently set up in the lounge in front of the TV. I do a lot of very useful training on it, I can do up to 2 hour sessions like that. I have the giant rollers, and I have only ever had to replace the tension adjuster in 4 years and 100's of hours use.

The setup.

post-41053-0-06453600-1358145454_thumb.jpg

That is an IDT you have NOT rollers!!

What about considering a wattbike? one of my mates is prepping for epic in the UK during winter primarily using one of these - has all the power measurement stuff you need and is pretty adjustable.

Definately will be on my shopping list when I build a gym at home one day, although riding indoors tests my head in a big way, I can see the benefit of having a setup (I do have an IDT gathering dust) if one uses it

http://wattbike.com/uk/ but I saw them at the 94.7 expo, so they have a local presence too in SA

What about considering a wattbike? one of my mates is prepping for epic in the UK during winter primarily using one of these - has all the power measurement stuff you need and is pretty adjustable.

Definately will be on my shopping list when I build a gym at home one day, although riding indoors tests my head in a big way, I can see the benefit of having a setup (I do have an IDT gathering dust) if one uses it

http://wattbike.com/uk/ but I saw them at the 94.7 expo, so they have a local presence too in SA

Check out cadence cycling - they have a branch in Four ways. www.cadencecycling.co.za

• 4 months later...

First shipments of Wahoo KICKR's starting to arrive here in SA. They ain't cheap, but get rave reviews. Sorely tempted, but my Bushido is still quite new and does the job ok for me. If I had the extra bucks, I'd go for one though.

Glad I don't live near Pretoria - Christian from their local agent suggested I go on for a test ride. I know that would end up with my wallet emptying!