Quicker cornering..

Howsit guys.

Im trying to figure out how to get quicker corenering speeds. I come in too quick and loose the front all too regularly or i end up slowing down completely. Its not like i can blip the throttle and bring the back around .

Also sharper cornering? is there a trick i seem to be missing. I cannot put my foot out nor can i lean the knee.

Any advice?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lean the bike and not your body.

Remember that your weight should always be neutral on the bike. If the bike points nose down you need to be over the back. If the nose points up you need to be over the front.

Same with cornering. Lean the bike left and you need to move your weight over to the right in order to stay on the bike. Also drop the pedal down on the outside of the corner to help get more weight down and into the tyres to add grip.

Do NOT brake in the corner. Scrub off enough speed before you enter the corner. Braking will cause the wheels to try and pull the bike upright.

Practise the above on grass to see how the weight on the bike affects the handling of the bike.

HaHaHa nope im on a 26'' .

Sir M so if i understand you correctly i should stay upright and lean the bike and not lean with the bike as i am used to? the inside pedal upright i learnt the hard way.

LeTurbo i have gone through the Kurt Exenberger series of beginners videos was just keen to see what fellow hubber find work better for them.

When braking for the corner, use both brakes, as you start to turn let go completely of the front brake. The rear brake can still be used if required to slide the back into place, and to lightly brake in the corner.

HaHaHa nope im on a 26'' .

Sir M so if i understand you correctly i should stay upright and lean the bike and not lean with the bike as i am used to? the inside pedal upright i learnt the hard way.

Correct. Inside pedal up and outside pedal down. Helps to get more grip into the tyres.

By keeping upright more on the bike you also help to get weight down onto the tyres. The second you lean with the bike you will find out how a roasty on your hip feels.

You are welcome to make your way up north sometime and join one of the rides. Ill happily take you through some cornering techniques.

What SIR M said. On corner entry be in a low attack position. Learn to look through the corner all the way round and then rottate outside pedal down. Lean the bike over with you staying neutral and upright over it. From the apex onwards turn your upper body towards the inside of the corner.

When you practise do it in a parking lot where you can choose any line at first and have plenty of grip.

Get your speed right before the corner and then don't touch the brakes.

If corner tightens lean the bike and turn upper body more.

• 4 months later...

From watching the pro's corner I have also noticed that they put a lot more weight onto the front wheel than what I am used to. It feels moer scary doing it, but does improve speed once you get the hang of it.

use the attack position, flat back, bum slightly off the saddle, a bit more weight on the front wheel (this is counter intuitive for road cyclists) and look to where you want to go.

Like Slick said: LOOK THROUGH THE CORNER!!! you can use all the skills mentioned above, but if youre not looking where you want to go - you're gonna go where you look. This is the thing that has helped me most with cornering. Once you have got where you're looking down. Work on the other skills.

Weight on your outside pedal, and your inside handle bar. Weighting the inside bar give you almost the same effect as counter steering on a motor bike.

Once you've got all these skills down only thing to do is see how big you can grow your balls as that will ultimately determine how fast you can go round any given corner.