Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a poef review

There is a snottiness to the review I don't really like. Seems that the intention was to bash the bike. 

Sounded like an honest review, but also like very high expectations. Probably too used to high end bikes, which would be an unfair comparison. Cant wait to see the other budget bikes reviews!

There is a snottiness to the review I don't really like. Seems that the intention was to bash the bike. 

My favourite comment is the one lamenting the steep head angle...of 67.5 degrees.  Uhm, ok...

My favourite comment is the one lamenting the steep head angle...of 67.5 degrees. Uhm, ok...

maybe the bike really does suck. It's boring reading EVERY review and the reviewer making out like owning anything but the bike on review is like life in the dark ages.

The conspiracy theorist in me tho finds it suspicious that the only non glowing review is of a bike brand that is somewhat unknown.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

maybe the bike really does suck. It's boring reading EVERY review and the reviewer making out like owning anything but the bike on review is like life in the dark ages.

The conspiracy theorist in me tho finds it suspicious that the only non glowing review is of a bike brand that is somewhat unknown.

These guys were also not blown away, but I get what you are saying about being suspicious.

Would love to see them come back to this bike after going through a series of economical bike reviews and see if they still feel the same. This was their first in a series of such reviews they would be doing, so this could also be the bike that re-calibrates their appreciation of what to expect from a bike that does not cost your kids study fund to purchase.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2018-patrol-672

This was their first in a series of such reviews they would be doing, so this could also be the bike that re-calibrates their appreciation of what to expect from a bike that does not cost your kids study fund to purchase.

It's not even that cheap tho. A bottom of the range reign is pretty much that price and that's a great bike.

But yeah. It's easy for these bike reviewer guys to look down their noses at "entry level" bikes when they get to ride $10000 bikes that they aren't even paying for.

Wait.... I think I disagreed with Nico. Then I agreed. Then I disagreed and now I'm back to agreeing with him.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It's not even that cheap tho. A bottom of the range reign is pretty much that price and that's a great bike.

But yeah. It's easy for these bike reviewer guys to look down their noses at "entry level" bikes when they get to ride $10000 bikes that they aren't even paying for.

Wait.... I think I disagreed with Nico. Then I agreed. Then I disagreed and now I'm back to agreeing with him.

I'm more blown away by the fact that a 67.5 degree HTA is somehow seen as archaic.  Do 99% op mtbers actually just ride Alpine steeps or what am I missing here?

Well, yes if you take into account its a 150/160mm travel bike intended for All-mountain/Enduro 67.5 by modern standards is considered steep.

Even the latest 29er Scott Sparks have a slightly slacker head angle at 67.2 and that is considered a XC bike, not an All-mountain/Enduro bike. 

I'm more blown away by the fact that a 67.5 degree HTA is somehow seen as archaic. Do 99% op mtbers actually just ride Alpine steeps or what am I missing here?

Don't you know anything?

All bikes must have slack AF geo, flat pedals, Short stems, wide bars and Magic Mary tires.

But seriously though. Doesn't that bike look like an old Nukeproof Mega to you? I wonder what the geo numbers are on that compared to this.

I hear you on the Alpine descents thing. It's like car brands doing all of their testing at the Nurburgring.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Well, yes if you take into account its a 150/160mm travel bike intended for All-mountain/Enduro 67.5 by modern standards is considered steep.

Even the latest 29er Scott Sparks have a slightly slacker head angle at 67.2 and that is considered a XC bike, not an All-mountain/Enduro bike. 

My 2016 Enduro 29 is at 67.5 degrees.  The new SC Hightower is 67 degrees.  I really don't see what everyone else is seeing, hence me asking what the hell is everyone riding for those numbers to be considered steep.

My 2016 Enduro 29 is at 67.5 degrees. The new SC Hightower is 67 degrees. I really don't see what everyone else is seeing, hence me asking what the hell is everyone riding for those numbers to be considered steep.

The 650b version of that enduro is 65.5. Maybe 29 handles similar with a steeper hta.

My 2016 Enduro 29 is at 67.5 degrees.  The new SC Hightower is 67 degrees.  I really don't see what everyone else is seeing, hence me asking what the hell is everyone riding for those numbers to be considered steep.

My Enduro 26 is 66.5 and never feels too steep, although I have never spent time on a 65deg or less bike so it might after that. I think its more about a combo of factors like adequate reach allowing a nice short stem to keep you more centered on the bike when descending. 

Although I disagree with chaps that would like you to think that bikes with a plus-66° HTA is unrideable, I firmly believe that a sub-66° HTA really offers more stability and calmness, even on mellower trails. I can drop my bike down to almost 64° and it still feels great. 

That being said, a 66-67° HTA is a good middle ground for trail bikes.