Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Transition's obsession with mismatched travel numbers back-to-front is moronic. It seems to be done for no reason other than to be different. It's important for (me, at least) that a bike feel balanced back-to-front. 

that sentinel looks good to me ... would not mind swinging a leg over that bike for a couple of rides!

but then again I am currently swinging a 160mm travel fork on a 140mm erar travel frame ................ and ride like a woes, so ....

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to my DollyParton "all business up front" Pyga120 with 160mm Pike (Pat just got a nauseating chill).

But seriously what's wrong with mismatched travels other than to satisfy a bit of OCD? The front and back acts differently so can be designed differently.

Edited by MarcBurger

Tell that to my DollyParton Pyga120 with 160mm Pike (all business up front).

But seriously what's wrong with mismatched travels other than to satisfy a bit of OCD. The front and back acts differently so can be designed differently.

I put a 160 fork on my Pyga 120 too. Never been happier. Dolly Parton... I like that.

Transition's obsession with mismatched travel numbers back-to-front is moronic. It seems to be done for no reason other than to be different. It's important for (me, at least) that a bike feel balanced back-to-front. 

I've never really thought about it on any of my Trannys. To be honest if I'd thought about it logically I wouldn't have bought a Smuggler. 115mm at the back & 140mm up front and a 29'r? Not my kind of numbers but you know what, Transition make fricking good bikes that just rail and work. Kudos to them for doing things a bit different (like releasing bike with slightly less travel than just upping the numbers each year) and making bikes that are great fun and despite the norms. 

I'm super interested in that sentinel and holding thumbs for the frame only pricing to come through in the next few days... but then the would mean I'd have to give up my Smuggler and I'm not too sure I'm ready for that. 

Tell that to my DollyParton "all business up front" Pyga120 with 160mm Pike (Pat just got a nauseating chill).

But seriously what's wrong with mismatched travels other than to satisfy a bit of OCD? The front and back acts differently so can be designed differently.

Balance and feel on the bike. 

Rear wheel travel is measured vertically. So to convert 160mm fork travel to vertical: 160sin(66deg) = 138.6mm. Pretty close.

Yeah, 'most' bike manufacturers who have bikes in the trail/all mountain/enduro category have bikes with mismatched suspension travel. I doubt Transition do it do be different. 

Have you ridden a GiddyUp Tranny? The longer forks are much-needed to balance the bike with the rear.

Have you ridden a GiddyUp Tranny? The longer forks are much-needed to balance the bike with the rear.

Nope. Not rushing out too, either. 

Cool them jets, chaps. Just stated my opinion. 

Nick, what do you mean by: 

The longer forks are much-needed to balance the bike with the rear.

Nope. Not rushing out too, either. 

Cool them jets, chaps. Just stated my opinion. 

Nick, what do you mean by: 

rear feels bottomless, and could outmatch a shorter travel fork. 

Same reason Mr Rude runs a 170/180mm fork on his SB5.5.