LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

My wife has dropped us out of the LCHF (banting) way after we got married.  It first started with a little slipup at Burger King.

Then it just escalade.  It is so bad at the moment that Coke is the first drink I get at night.  And she fell back into bread, buns and HFCS containing products.  So yes the sugar addiction is strong in her.  And I found my kryptonite:  Jellybeans and JellyTots.

This morning I was up at 05H00 doing some prep work for a nice soup for tonight.  Butternut Soup, with loads of Butter and will finish it off with a dash of cream.

So will have to talk to her.  Problem with me and bread products... Weight Gain.  And that is a huge no no on the bike for me.  And worst is I am pulling a hefty 87.1 kg at the moment.  And that is not where I want to be.  I am not sleeping well and feeling sick 90% of the time.  So holding thumbs that she will again see that LCHF works.  And the HCLF thing is a load of horse doo doo....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has dropped us out of the LCHF (banting) way after we got married.  It first started with a little slipup at Burger King.

Then it just escalade.  It is so bad at the moment that Coke is the first drink I get at night.  And she fell back into bread, buns and HFCS containing products.  So yes the sugar addiction is strong in her.  And I found my kryptonite:  Jellybeans and JellyTots.

This morning I was up at 05H00 doing some prep work for a nice soup for tonight.  Butternut Soup, with loads of Butter and will finish it off with a dash of cream.

So will have to talk to her.  Problem with me and bread products... Weight Gain.  And that is a huge no no on the bike for me.  And worst is I am pulling a hefty 87.1 kg at the moment.  And that is not where I want to be.  I am not sleeping well and feeling sick 90% of the time.  So holding thumbs that she will again see that LCHF works.  And the HCLF thing is a load of horse doo doo....

Why must your wife see the light. Just do it yourself.

(works for other areas of marriage as well....)

Not sure how many of you saw this in Modern Cyclist magazine - http://www.atkinssa.co.za/atkins-low-carb-for-performance/

I am one of the lucky 5 selected and my experience is recorded here - http://lowcarbperformance.blogspot.com

I tried this a couple of years back with dismal results so when the opportunity came around to be guided by a coach I jumped at it. No performance yet but its early days. 

Why must your wife see the light. Just do it yourself.

(works for other areas of marriage as well....)

It is not easy if she does most of the cooking.  But with the shopping this weekend I made sure to buy most LCFH foods and 0 HCLF foods.

Not sure how many of you saw this in Modern Cyclist magazine - http://www.atkinssa.co.za/atkins-low-carb-for-performance/

I am one of the lucky 5 selected and my experience is recorded here - http://lowcarbperformance.blogspot.com

I tried this a couple of years back with dismal results so when the opportunity came around to be guided by a coach I jumped at it. No performance yet but its early days. 

Bookmarked... 

Hey jc - this is going to be interesting - particularly due to the fact that you have been there and done that - will be going into it somewhat informed as opposed to blind.

In terms of reaction to carbs I'm beginning to think that there is a component of wheat vs other white stuff (well, for me anyway) - will be interesting to see if you get the same discomfort with e.g. potato vs wheat.

It's pretty low carb too, no stuffing around...

I will follow this with real interest.

I'm on LCHF now since middle March and still doesn't have any power to go really hard. Weight loss have been awesome though.

HI JC,  where can I buy these ketone strips to test the ketone levels.

As said previously I started on a LCHF lifestyle on 16 March, but still feels very flat and can't do HIIT on the wattbike that I've done before. I also feel very flat.

I stayed with the eating plan, very strictly but never track my food. I downloaded the Myfitness app on the weekend and was shocked to see that my Carb intake is over 40g per day so far.

I assume that I am not in ketosis (because of this high carb intake) and this is probably why I still struggle to train properly after almost 3 months. The good thing is that I can see where my carb intake is and can now cut on those foods. Further my protein intake is much to low- about 60 g where it should be closer to 100g. So I guess I lost a good deal of muscle weight in the process and not only fat.

Funny question...  Why does a low salt intake make you feel weak and useless?

Wife made us a stunning banting meal last night.  Glad the Low Carb is Lekker book gave her some inspiration.

Funny question... Why does a low salt intake make you feel weak and useless?

Wife made us a stunning banting meal last night. Glad the Low Carb is Lekker book gave her some inspiration.

There is a long and short answer. The short answer is: your potassium / sodium pumps need sodium. When you don't get enough, your body does some substitution. This makes you feel bad and causes other issues.

There is a long and short answer. The short answer is: your potassium / sodium pumps need sodium. When you don't get enough, your body does some substitution. This makes you feel bad and causes other issues.

Like being like a bear that has been kicked in the balls?

Wife made us a stunning banting meal last night.  Glad the Low Carb is Lekker book gave her some inspiration.

That book is really awesome. Try the chocolate cake. My wife baked it 2 weeks ago to take to a party we were invited to so that we don't have to eat the processed sugar stuff.

everybody gave us k@k about our "cake" that is not a "cake", but when I want to go for a second helping it was finished and there was a lot of left overs of the sugar stuff :w00t:

I must brag a bit here, my wife can cook and bake. I am extremely lucky in this regard.

we have another party this weekend and she will bake the carrot cake for this. Looking really forward to it. Yes she will bake two cakes for the anti- banting brigade :whistling:

Me and my wife also struggle with cramps and dizziness especially after hard training days, which we never experienced before. 

We now take salt tablets on training days and problem solved.

Just have to get back to the office.  Can feel the morning commute took a bit out of me. I crave salt at the moment ( I was stuck only being able to use the top 3 gears on the rear of my bike and had to make due with the front gears :( )