LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I used post here quite a lot. Tried the LCHF diet a number of times. As a vegetarian and as a meat eater. Reasons have mostly been to lose weight and ride well.

At the moment I am eating carbs again. Last year I slipped badly with my diet and stopped riding. My weight went up 10 kg to 84 kg, half way back to my fattest of 94kg. Depressing really.

So in January I got back on the bike, it was painful, and I made dietary changes. I was tired of craving carbs and of being fat. I was tired of being unfit. I was looking for a sustainable lifestyle.

What I learnt is I am most likely not carb intolerant. I know the good professor says the vast majority of people benefit from the diet but I seem to be able to reach my goals in other ways.

I have chucked out all sugars unless I am actually on the bike. I eat carbs but in moderation. The earlier in the day the more likely I am to eat carbs. Breakfast is mostly porridge with lots of butter or coconut oil. Lunch is a little brown rice, lentils and quite a bit of protein. Supper is an oily salad or nothing at all. Fruit is snacked on in the morning only. Make sure I get 8 hours sleep a day.

Lost 8kg so far this year. Cycling well. 12 to 16 hours a week. Yoga three times a week. No mad food cravings at all. Easily cycle 4 to 5 hours at moderate intensity. Recover well. No injuries or illness. Level tempered. Digestion great.

Like so many smart people have said on this thread, you must find your own way. Experiment. Be honest with yourself.

Fat is not the enemy. I learnt that much as least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey 

I don't know too much about this topic, i have gone LCHF previously, but i stopped due to a drop in my racing and training performance. 

I'm struggling to get down to 64kg (6% BF) , i'm on 68kg (maybe more) and need some help to get there. 

My question is - Is it possible to use the LCHF lifestyle for a period of time ( lets say 8 weeks ) Then return to a normal balanced diet ? Will the weight automatically return ? 

Note - I race once to twice a week, training between 16-26hours a week right now, and would probably want to avoid changing my on the bike nutrition and pre race nutrition. 

Thanks

Hey 

I don't know too much about this topic, i have gone LCHF previously, but i stopped due to a drop in my racing and training performance. 

I'm struggling to get down to 64kg (6% BF) , i'm on 68kg (maybe more) and need some help to get there. 

My question is - Is it possible to use the LCHF lifestyle for a period of time ( lets say 8 weeks ) Then return to a normal balanced diet ? Will the weight automatically return ? 

Note - I race once to twice a week, training between 16-26hours a week right now, and would probably want to avoid changing my on the bike nutrition and pre race nutrition. 

Thanks

You will DEFINITELY pick the weight back up. And quickly. LCHF is about the long term health effects, it's not a fad diet.

LCHF will, in the long run, help you train and race better, but to get your muscles and body fat adapted, you will first take a dip in performance. Your muscles need to rid themselves of glycogen stores and your body will adapt to burning fat for fuel. It takes 4-8 weeks.

If you are currently in racing season, don't go very low carb now, just cut out the rubbish. The hours you are spending at high intensity is hectic and carb flu will hit you hard.

Surely you will ease off a little in winter - then go hard and cut the carbs as low as you can. Your weight will drop like a stone and you will be leaner (low BF) than before. By the new season you will be totally fat adapted. The best of the whole thing : eating rich, divine foods with relish. It is so easy you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

GOOD LUCK

Hey

Thanks

Tracey has basically summed it up. But for now, you can cut out all sugar. Just use it in races. Try eat only complex carbs and whole foods. That'll provide more than enough glycogen, and you'll shed weight.

As others have already said, Leg breaker if you see this as a temporary thing then it's absolutely not the right move for you.

LCHF is a fundamental mindshift in the way you understand food. It's a lifestyle change, not a short-term fad. Again, once you commit to it you will definitely take a big step backwards in performance for quite a while. It will take months to get your top end racing speed back again, and only after a lot of patience.

LCHF is not about weight loss. Please can we get that straight once and for all. Some folks enjoy weight loss as a result of starting the diet, but that should be treated as just one of the benefits.

If you want to go on a short-term weight loss diet then try something else.

Leg breaker, if yo are really at 6% body fat that puts you in the realm of a world tour pro racer. If you are trying to get lower than that, then I don't think any of us on this forum are equipped to offer advice because you are already incredibly lean. How you are going to drop below 6% body fat, I have no idea. But LCHF is not your answer.

As others have already said, Leg breaker if you see this as a temporary thing then it's absolutely not the right move for you.

LCHF is a fundamental mindshift in the way you understand food. It's a lifestyle change, not a short-term fad. Again, once you commit to it you will definitely take a big step backwards in performance for quite a while. It will take months to get your top end racing speed back again, and only after a lot of patience.

LCHF is not about weight loss. Please can we get that straight once and for all. Some folks enjoy weight loss as a result of starting the diet, but that should be treated as just one of the benefits.

Leg breaker, if yo are really at 6% body fat that puts you in the realm of a world tour pro racer. If you are trying to get lower than that, then I don't think any of us on this forum are equipped to offer advice because you are already incredibly lean. How you are going to drop below 6% body fat, I have no idea. But LCHF is not your answer.

+1. Its not a diet as a diet refers to a short term thing. It took me longer that 8 weeks to cash in on benefits of lchf

+1. Its not a diet as a diet refers to a short term thing. It took me longer that 8 weeks to cash in on benefits of lchf

Same here. I've just had to go through the fat adaptation again. Hell. I was eating too much protein, and not enough fat. Now it's all awesome again.

Same here. I've just had to go through the fat adaptation again. Hell. I was eating too much protein, and not enough fat. Now it's all awesome again.

Thanks for the reply, I defiantly understand that LCHF is not a diet. Its a lifestyle, when i was living by it for around 4 weeks i felt amazing off the bike, i weighed my goal weight. I was never bloated and was very happy. When i did intervals i struggled to reach the power outputs i usually could and i was not recovery from sessions. I had to have a major operation on my face, and i started eating carbs while i was recovering. I put back on a lot of weight and i still have most of it now. 

I don't have a 6% BF now, that is my goal. I'm probably around 11% or more even :( 

The only problem with becoming fat adapted is that i takes time and i race weekly and train throughout the year. Which is why i wanted to know if there was a known way of using LCHF to shed some weight ( A side effect of banting) but return to carbs. 

Thanks for the reply, I defiantly understand that LCHF is not a diet. Its a lifestyle, when i was living by it for around 4 weeks i felt amazing off the bike, i weighed my goal weight. I was never bloated and was very happy. When i did intervals i struggled to reach the power outputs i usually could and i was not recovery from sessions. I had to have a major operation on my face, and i started eating carbs while i was recovering. I put back on a lot of weight and i still have most of it now.

I don't have a 6% BF now, that is my goal. I'm probably around 11% or more even :(

The only problem with becoming fat adapted is that i takes time and i race weekly and train throughout the year. Which is why i wanted to know if there was a known way of using LCHF to shed some weight ( A side effect of banting) but return to carbs.

I heard an interview with some dude (I just can't remember his name) who said a lot of pro racers live low carb and train low carb, but hit high intensity sessions (intervals for example) and races with high carb.

You will DEFINITELY pick the weight back up. And quickly. LCHF is about the long term health effects, it's not a fad diet.

LCHF will, in the long run, help you train and race better, but to get your muscles and body fat adapted, you will first take a dip in performance. Your muscles need to rid themselves of glycogen stores and your body will adapt to burning fat for fuel. It takes 4-8 weeks.

If you are currently in racing season, don't go very low carb now, just cut out the rubbish. The hours you are spending at high intensity is hectic and carb flu will hit you hard.

Surely you will ease off a little in winter - then go hard and cut the carbs as low as you can. Your weight will drop like a stone and you will be leaner (low BF) than before. By the new season you will be totally fat adapted. The best of the whole thing : eating rich, divine foods with relish. It is so easy you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

GOOD LUCK

Thank you for the reply 

Thats what i thought, but i have heard about pro teams using the LCHF approach to race better and lower there body fats. 

I'm 19 and see my other team mates/friends eating junk food/coke all day long. I only eat whole foods\ salads and have never touched a fizzy drink in years, but i still weight much more than them. I don't eat gluten which helps a lot. 

LCHF is defiantly the way to go, but a drop in performance for 4- 8 weeks is not something i want to experience again. 

Once you are fat adapted are you able to race at high intensities or is LCHF better for more endurance events ? 

Leg breaker, one other thing... Weight is not really the goal. Body composition is more important. You can be a little heavier, but push more watts per kg.... I'm talking a few kgs difference though. Muscle has weight too..... But that's better weight.

I've tried LCHF last year but gained some kg's and felt terrible.

A friend has lost some really big KG's so far and I have heard to many good things to ignore it.

So, after the argus I started again and lost 5kg in week one. I also started to train again last week but couldn't complete one hard training session yet. Went for a short and easy (62 km) ride on Sunday and was shocked at how flat and energy-less I felt.

Had another hard session last night on IDT, and again I had no energy. I didn't get to do one interval. I'm not tired during the day, but after I've warmed up on the IDT I can already feel that my energy levels are op.

Is this to be expected because I'm not in full ketosis yet? When can I expect my energy levels to pick up again?

My first race is only again September (R4V) so I am not too worried not being able to train properly. I am quite committed to go all the way- another 15kg to go - and are willing to sacrifice training time if that is required, although I don't want to lose the momentum I've build up pre argus. I am now the fittest I was in years due to a proper structured training programme, but I need to shed these extra kg's.

I didn't go through all these posts, but did anyone else experience this lack of energy while training? Any advice? Should increase my fat intake?

I've tried LCHF last year but gained some kg's and felt terrible.

A friend has lost some really big KG's so far and I have heard to many good things to ignore it.

So, after the argus I started again and lost 5kg in week one. I also started to train again last week but couldn't complete one hard training session yet. Went for a short and easy (62 km) ride on Sunday and was shocked at how flat and energy-less I felt.

Had another hard session last night on IDT, and again I had no energy. I didn't get to do one interval. I'm not tired during the day, but after I've warmed up on the IDT I can already feel that my energy levels are op.

Is this to be expected because I'm not in full ketosis yet? When can I expect my energy levels to pick up again?

My first race is only again September (R4V) so I am not too worried not being able to train properly. I am quite committed to go all the way- another 15kg to go - and are willing to sacrifice training time if that is required, although I don't want to lose the momentum I've build up pre argus. I am now the fittest I was in years due to a proper structured training programme, but I need to shed these extra kg's.

I didn't go through all these posts, but did anyone else experience this lack of energy while training? Any advice? Should increase my fat intake?

This is exactly what you should expect. You are going to suffer a bit for the first 2 months. Your body needs time to adapt. Ketosis is only step one. Your muscles need to adapt to using (and preferring) fatty acids directly for fuel.

Eat enough fat, enough very low carb, and very important, don't eat too much protein.

This is exactly what you should expect. You are going to suffer a bit for the first 2 months. Your body needs time to adapt. Ketosis is only step one. Your muscles need to adapt to using (and preferring) fatty acids directly for fuel.

Eat enough fat, enough very low carb, and very important, don't eat too much protein.

Thanks for replying.

I think what I did wrong the first time around was eating to much protein. I now eat only two meals a day- brunch and dinner. In between I'll have a light snack, usually yogurt with fruit or some mac nuts with a fruit.

Is one fruit a day enough low carb or can I increase it to 2?

Currently I'm doing fine. I'm not really hungry and aren't really tired through the day. It is just the training that I can't do properly now.

the other thing is, I'm very constipated. Will this normalise as well over time?

Thanks for replying.

I think what I did wrong the first time around was eating to much protein. I now eat only two meals a day- brunch and dinner. In between I'll have a light snack, usually yogurt with fruit or some mac nuts with a fruit.

Is one fruit a day enough low carb or can I increase it to 2?

Currently I'm doing fine. I'm not really hungry and aren't really tired through the day. It is just the training that I can't do properly now.

the other thing is, I'm very constipated. Will this normalise as well over time?

Hi. I would actually cut the fruit out too initially. Remember, fructose is one of the most harmful sugars.

Keep going. The payoffs are liberating.

On the constipation, I am lucky in that this never happened to me, so not sure...

Oh, and don't forget to increase sodium too. If you're not stimulating as much insulin, your kidneys won't hold onto it as much.