LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Oops ! Our local Low-Fat Mythbuster Prof Tim Noakes is making the headlines again:

One goal of the US$700 million Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial was to determine whether post-menopausal women who adopted what was regarded as a ‘heart healthy’ low-fat diet, high in vegetables, fruits and grains, reduced their risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The trial substantially favoured the outcome in the intervention group, who also received an intensive nutritional and behaviour education programme not offered to the control group. These studies neatly disprove the diet-heart hypothesis since adoption of ‘heart healthy’ eating not only failed to influence future cardiac events in the healthy but it increased such events in the unhealthy and worsened diabetic control in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

7343-38524-1-PB.pdf

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to give Noakes some respect - he just keeps on plugging the message, even when the responses to his posts are personal attacks.

Majority of those commenters have completely missed the point, it wasn't published as fact, simply as a finding that is meant to be thought provoking.

Majority of those commenters have completely missed the point, it wasn't published as fact, simply as a finding that is meant to be thought provoking.

Indeed.

Edit: The issue is that academics often build a career supported by one (hopefully original) idea that they come up with, and then defend to the death against all opposing evidence.

It takes someone pretty secure to be able to weigh up their theory against evidence and say "Oh, ok, yep, my theory is flawed." Noakes has had no issues with saying "I screwed up - it appears that the truth actually is this... blah blah" That is the sign of a good academic.

But it appears that some of the academics (and lay people) that are getting rubbed up the wrong way do not seem to have the same sense of security - they will defend 'what they know to be right' against all evidence to the contrary.

Edited by davetapson

But it appears that some of the academics (and lay people) that are getting rubbed up the wrong way do not seem to have the same sense of security - they will defend 'what they know to be right' against all evidence to the contrary.

Haters will hate! I think it's in the human DNA to discredit someone that might have something radical but positive to bring to the world when it goes against every single thing that was taught. My gran is 89 years old. She never liked bread, cereals, pasta or any processed $hit that's available nowadays and consequently never had them or had very little of them. Shes had mcdonalds once and never again. Not a fan of takeways. She drinks her whiskey every night, loves her lamb chop with crispy fat, any vegetables that is on the table and goes for a walk every now and then. Oh yes, she's been smoking since she was in primary school. She is fit as a fiddle and still follows the same lifestyle for over 75 years.

I don't think we need any evidence that real food works. Let them hate, do we really care???

Sure there are no scientific proof that this will end well. But at least we have scientific proof that low fat does not end up well at all!

Edited by krouxsa

I reckon the ship has started to turn, even in SA, I hear of more and more people saying that their GP's have changed their dietary advice and their stance on low fat diets, but it is a really SLOW process. We are talking about years...

Look at how many years it took for the medical community to rescind their advice that oestrogen patches were an elixir of youth to where they actually stopped recommending it as a post-menopausal treatment - almost 40 years !!!

At least we will be able to say we were leading the charge locally !

Have a lekker day !

edit : grammar

Edited by htone

Changing the topic.

My F-i-L is a typical type 2 diabetic. Has bad blood sugar control and as a result spends a large amount of time angry and unhappy (you have to know a diabetic with poor blood sugar control to understand.)

Anyway, I bought Bernstein's Control Blood Sugar (or whatever it is called) from Kalahari for him. He's reading through it and full of questions. But, coming back from a weekend away, we stopped for lunch at Ludwigs Roses.

After we've finished eating, while I'm packing the kids into the car, I look back - and there he is polishing off the kid's milk shakes with delight.

Sometimes people just don't seem to be able to help themselves...

I've had people tell me that diabetics can be some of the most selfish people there are, because they don't care about their eating habits and its their loved-ones that suffer. Of course a huge generalisation and no offence meant to the diabetics in this thread (you are doing it right! :thumbup: ).

I don't understand how someone can suffer from serious condition and NOT go through the trouble of reading up and research everything they can and then adapting their lifestyle

As a Type-2 diagnosed diabetic I can vouch for that behaviour. But I can also tell you that what you see there is uncontrolled addiction to carbs, hence you have behaviour that is exactly similar to junkie behaviour or the alcoholic that binge-drinks when he/she gets the opportunity. And until you realise and acknowledge that it IS addiction, your behaviour won't change, just like an addict to anything won't change. And no manner of threatening or reasoning will change that - the addict has to realise that the problem is addiction and must have the desire to change, otherwise nothing will happen. So no offence taken, your observations are spot-on !!!

As a Type-2 diagnosed diabetic I can vouch for that behaviour. But I can also tell you that what you see there is uncontrolled addiction to carbs, hence you have behaviour that is exactly similar to junkie behaviour or the alcoholic that binge-drinks when he/she gets the opportunity. And until you realise and acknowledge that it IS addiction, your behaviour won't change, just like an addict to anything won't change. And no manner of threatening or reasoning will change that - the addict has to realise that the problem is addiction and must have the desire to change, otherwise nothing will happen. So no offence taken, your observations are spot-on !!!

Never realized its that serious, that it is like an addiction :eek:

... Look at how many years it took for the medical community to rescind their advice that oestrogen patches were an elixir of youth to where they actually stopped recommending it as a post-menopausal treatment - almost 40 years !!! ...

Er, um, the WHI was flawed ie. wrong ... bottom line, big pharma DON'T rule.

'The benefits of HRT, if initiated early enough in healthy women, are far greater than the potential adverse effects.'

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2009/190/6/benefits-oestrogen-following-menopause-why-hormone-replacement-therapy-should-be

Er, um, the WHI was flawed ie. wrong ... bottom line, big pharma DON'T rule.

'The benefits of HRT, if initiated early enough in healthy women, are far greater than the potential adverse effects.'

https://www.mja.com....erapy-should-be

Quite correct (and thanks for this reference) - the point is even in the face of mounting evidence that there may be something wrong with the prescribed treatment it went on for at least 40 years before action was taken....

So in a similar vein Ancil Keys' studies have been proven to be wrong (and therefore the entire basis of the hypothesis of what leads to heart disease / obesity may be flawed), but still the old dogma is followed - have big pharma perhaps become even bigger and more influential ?