LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

No I met a bloke that distributes nuts from a place in Eloff street ext. must get over there. He says it is close to half retail price but bulk of course. Nothing under a kg

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy from Mac-Eden Estates down the s.coast of KZN near Margate.

While the majority of their harvest is reserved for export, you can still pick up large packs from them direct.

Their 'snack style' (mostly whole) is R135.00/kg and their 'chip style' (mostly chopped pieces) is R125.00/kg.

Right now they're busy wrapping up their last export shipment before they close for the year. So if you want to place an order, do so very soon :). I'm not sure how it works for people in other provinces, but give Lee a call on 039 311-2570 and she'll help you out.

I've just placed an order for 2kg @ R250.00, which should last me well into 2014 (need 1 cup of melted coconut oil per kg of nuts to make macnut butter).

My missus is driving down to Margate this weekend to pick it up :thumbup: .

This is the recipe I use for my macnut butter (except for the lucma powder... I use a minute dash of vanilla extract instead).

My mouth is watering already!

For Gauteng people, I'm driving up to JHB for Xmas. I'm willing to bring up nuts for you then, if you want to buy from Mac Eden right now. Just need to make a call pretty soon tho...

I used to get Almond butter @R42 per 410g from Ambassador Foods before they closed down their retail store.

I see the Crede is R75.50 per 400g.

sorry to butt in okes, but just a quick question. I am trying to cut down on carbs (especially processed carbs) and need some suggestions for breakfast that doesn't take too long to prepare. I am currently eating woolies muesli with 2% milk, but would like something with less carbs.

@ MTBeer - try the fatshake for a quick and easy solution (see the first page or two of this thread), alternatively something like bacon, eggs, pork rashers, cheese, mince or leftovers from the prior night's low-carb dinner work well. If you learn to eat the same food every day it actually becomes less of a fuss, you get used to making it very quickly and with the right amount of fats like coconut oil in there it should last you for the best part of the day.

sorry to butt in okes, but just a quick question. I am trying to cut down on carbs (especially processed carbs) and need some suggestions for breakfast that doesn't take too long to prepare. I am currently eating woolies muesli with 2% milk, but would like something with less carbs.

Full cream (Greek) yoghurt with seeds (eg sunflower, pumpkin, or mixed - from Fruit & Veg) and crushed nuts (eg almonds, pecan). Buy all the seeds/nuts and just mix them together in a container!

Yoghurt has way less carbs than milk

Full cream (Greek) yoghurt with seeds (eg sunflower, pumpkin, or mixed - from Fruit & Veg) and crushed nuts (eg almonds, pecan). Buy all the seeds/nuts and just mix them together in a container!

Yoghurt has way less carbs than milk

great, thanks. I often struggle to find full cream yoghurt. Any suggestions?

Great post from Wheat Belly's Facebook page - South Africa is on the map !!!

https://www.facebook...209766919069873

Wheat-free works in South Africa!

Anette: "I am only now reading Wheat Belly, but have been cutting out wheat (plus refined sugar and any over-processed foods) since around end of May, focusing instead on 'real' food (which is thankfully a...bundant in South Africa!): high-quality pastured eggs, Karoo lamb, plus venison, kefir, veggies and some fruit.

"Hubby lost 10 kgs (22 pounds) and I lost about 15 kgs (33 pounds) so far. According to the charts, I need to lose another 10 kgs (22 pounds) or so, but I am no longer getting on the scale.

"What excites me most is that I have finally found a lifestyle that I can easily follow for the rest of my life. I am now longer weighing myself, as my weight seems to be higher than previous times that I went on a diet; yet I am comfortably fitting into clothes I would usually need to be another 5kgs lighter for. Also doing some hiking and weight training to tone. Excited to see where my body will find its happy space..."1392664_602591103120784_156191309_n.jpg

@ MTBeer - try the fatshake for a quick and easy solution (see the first page or two of this thread), alternatively something like bacon, eggs, pork rashers, cheese, mince or leftovers from the prior night's low-carb dinner work well. If you learn to eat the same food every day it actually becomes less of a fuss, you get used to making it very quickly and with the right amount of fats like coconut oil in there it should last you for the best part of the day.

thanks.

Woolies sell double cream. Spar also have a double cream home brand and Dairybell make as well.

All the above are Greek yoghurt. and can get the latter at Spar.

Edited by Helpmytrap

Woolies sell double cream. Spar also have a double cream home brand and Dairybell make as well.

All the above are Greek yoghurt. and can get the latter at Spar.

cool, will check it out.

PnP (PnP brand easy to spot - has a grey lid as opposed to red) and Woollies both stock them. Just look for anything that does NOT say "low fat" or "fat free"

Edited by WCD1

Read this in an article on BBC's website now:

Saturated fat

• Saturated fat is the kind of fat found in butter and lard, pies, cakes and biscuits, fatty cuts of meat, sausages and bacon, and cheese and cream

WTF is pies, cakes and biscuits doing there?? I'm sure most of us know that this is the problem, the common misconception amongst those that are anti-fat think that treats like chocolate bars, cakes and pastries are high in fat and that is why they are unhealthy and make you fat. Meanwhile it is all the damn sugar and refined carbs.

I suppose it irks me because they put the healthy choices of food and the unhealthy in the same category.

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24625808

Edited by Helpmytrap