LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I have been keen on trying some home made mayonnaise, but a lot off recipes on the internet suggests using grain oils like sunflower or canola, which I am not to keen on. Organic virgin olive oil on the other hand apparently gives the mayonnaise a strange not so lekker taste. What would be a good alternative? Was thinking of avocado oil as it's ratios WRT MUFA's, PUFA's and saturated fatty acids are comparable to that of OVOO. What's more avocado oil has quite a neutral taste.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick scan through Noakes tweets - this caught my eye - not for any particular reason, just that its the first tweet from him that mentions ketosis that I have noticed.

I have been keen on trying some home made mayonnaise, but a lot off recipes on the internet suggests using grain oils like sunflower or canola, which I am not to keen on. Organic virgin olive oil on the other hand apparently gives the mayonnaise a strange not so lekker taste. What would be a good alternative? Was thinking of avocado oil as it's ratios WRT MUFA's, PUFA's and saturated fatty acids are comparable to that of OVOO. What's more avocado oil has quite a neutral taste.

Be interested with your findings. I have tried olive oil, but never came out so lekker. I just use Woolies extra creamy on the basis that HF is better than NF. (No Fat :) )

Mayo from avo oil may get pricey tho?

I can get mac oil, but it is filtered through soya husk and I'm not comfortable with that. But not for any really good reason, just because. (GM? Soya allergens? My understanding is that there is effectively no non-GM soya grown in SA anymore? Anyone got a clue? )

More pricey than Woolies?

There is still quite a lot of non GM soya grown in SA AFAIK. It is just not kept apart from the GM soya.

So did the Discovery health check today.

They scored me negative on 2 things.

Cholesterol being 5.8 and not 5......

For not having at least 5 servings of fruit and veggies per day.

My discovery age is 39,one year older than I really am due to these 2 things.

Last year did the test and scored full marks with a Discovery age of 34...

Shows you how they still think about health.....

Did the same yesterday - after the wife's nagging about lifting our Vitality points, finally got through to me! :)

I was also nailed on the bad cholesterol score (6.5) - fruit and veg intake - not enough wholegrain products etc. - and because I didn't have my blood pressure stats at hand (despite selecting "OK" - which it has always been)...

That and my lack of weekly exercise. They don't appear to have an option for "I was exercising all the time, but then the lumbar radiculopathy I have been diagnosed with mid-year, put a bit of a spanner in the works..." :whistling:

Now the wife says I was too bloody honest. :P

Regardless - point remains that one of our biggest medical-aid companies is still quite set in its ways when it comes down to [pretty-much] the core foundation of its patients' health...

I am increasingly reminded of a seminar I attended several weeks back - where in a completely non-health related discussion - a senior Professor from one of this country's leading Faculty of Health Sciences, said: "As we constantly tell our students - 50% of what we are teaching you is bad science. And the difficulty is, you won't know which 50% of it is the bad part..." That raised a few eyebrows. He qualified it by explaining how they are constantly trying to drive home the point, to their students, that medical/health science is constantly evolving... and that what they are being taught at University, might be accepted in the here-and-the-now - but that a fair amount of it is likely to be challenged, or is currently being challenged, as new evidence comes to light. And how MD's are truly expected to remain life-long students etc. etc..

Loosely translated: Everything you know is wrong. :devil:

[caveat emptor:] The same logic would obviously apply to LCHF.... 40(?) years from now, health-science students might be told about how the whole world was eventually led to believe that LCHF was the answer to the problems associated with LFHC... and how that's all wrong - How the real answer is.... stomach micro-organisms... and kelp. And unicorn hair. :P

Did the same yesterday - after the wife's nagging about lifting our Vitality points, finally got through to me! :)

I was also nailed on the bad cholesterol score (6.5) - fruit and veg intake - not enough wholegrain products etc. - and because I didn't have my blood pressure stats at hand (despite selecting "OK" - which it has always been)...

That and my lack of weekly exercise. They don't appear to have an option for "I was exercising all the time, but then the lumbar radiculopathy I have been diagnosed with mid-year, put a bit of a spanner in the works..." :whistling:

Now the wife says I was too bloody honest. :P

Regardless - point remains that one of our biggest medical-aid companies is still quite set in its ways when it comes down to [pretty-much] the core foundation of its patients' health...

I am increasingly reminded of a seminar I attended several weeks back - where in a completely non-health related discussion - a senior Professor from one of this country's leading Faculty of Health Sciences, said: "As we constantly tell our students - 50% of what we are teaching you is bad science. And the difficulty is, you won't know which 50% of it is the bad part..." That raised a few eyebrows. He qualified it by explaining how they are constantly trying to drive home the point, to their students, that medical/health science is constantly evolving... and that what they are being taught at University, might be accepted in the here-and-the-now - but that a fair amount of it is likely to be challenged, or is currently being challenged, as new evidence comes to light. And how MD's are truly expected to remain life-long students etc. etc..

Loosely translated: Everything you know is wrong. :devil:

[caveat emptor:] The same logic would obviously apply to LCHF.... 40(?) years from now, health-science students might be told about how the whole world was eventually led to believe that LCHF was the answer to the problems associated with LFHC... and how that's all wrong - How the real answer is.... stomach micro-organisms... and kelp. And unicorn hair. :P

Gotta laugh at this - Discovery is the main(?) sponsor of the SSISA - a body started by Noakes and Morne du Plessis.

Now Noakes is going directly against Vitality recommendations ( how many vitality points do you get for buying butter and full fat milk / yoghurt?).

I don't know what is going on in the Vitality dept at Discovery, but it can't be comfortable... hehehehehehe.

Apparently the best is to use bacon fat. I have not tried it, but there are recipes flying around on the internet.

http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/bacon-mayonnaise.html

LCHF for 12 months, die hard, fully committed, full ketosis, test every day, spinning instructor at VA. If someone in class asks for advice on diet or race nutrition do I give it? No ways. I'm terrified to. I want to tell everyone how well I've done, how fantastic I feel, but I don't. I want to tell everyone not to believe the bull**** they've been fed for years about nutrition and see the LCHF light. And I'm just a humble fitness guy, I'm no doctor, professor, medical aid director. What Prof. Noakes has done took big nuts. What massive effort will it take to turn around the med aids and insurance companies who are entrenched in the prudent diet and reliant on maintaining the status quo? Daunting.

Why am I always flippen starving about an hour or so after breakfast. I generally have some fruit (2 pieces), 3 eggs, 2 cups of coffee with cream and a tablespoon of coconut oil?? And generally after that I am satisfied, dont need to eat more at that point??

That's weird !!

I'm doing 1 1/2 hour cycle in the morning at a fairly high intensity, followed by a Bullet Proof coffee, and a medium glass of Kefir. Plenty of water, and no need to eat again till about 12:00 - 13:00

Edited by DustOrBust

Regarding home made dairy kefir:

Any one including it in their diet? How much do you need for the full pro biotic effect? Any effect on blood glucose? With regards to weight since including it, up, down or stable. How far do you guys let it ferment before using it? Will kefir that has been fermenting for longer have less lactose and thus have a smaller effect on BG?

Can answer some of the above but not all. I let mine ferment for 24 hours, any longer and I find it is too thick and then difficult to strain. Looks like it thickens more in summer due to the heat.

I have a medium size glass every morning after my Bullet Proof coffee. Watch out of having to much if you trying to maintain <50g carbs per day !

LCHF for 12 months, die hard, fully committed, full ketosis, test every day, .....

Cool. well done.

So, care to give us a rough idea of what your typical eating plan looks like?

Just a guess, coffee is a stimulant .... is that not possibly upsetting the satiety signal? 2 coffees in one sitting maybe one too many.

I am an addict.... What can I say.....

Regards

Apparently the best is to use bacon fat. I have not tried it, but there are recipes flying around on the internet.

http://cavemanfood.b...mayonnaise.html

Just tried this - it is simply awesome. Just when I started to wonder what to do with all the lard I have left after making kaiings for the W2W! Tomorrow I am trying this with sheep fat - I have so much I am thinking of making soap from it.

Attended a chat with Dr Jeroen Swart at Cyclefunatic in Durbanville last night and although some of it was a product pitch for Cadence (his range of performance products) I thought it was quite interesting that he is beginning to acknowledge that LCHF has a place (he specifically mentioned T2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome as potential candidates). He also mentioned the benefits that the UK cycling team has had from being on a LCHP type diet, and that they are achieving massive training adaptation improvements by having the guys train in a fasted state (but consuming carbs on the bike as needed). He mentioned that SSI are busy with extensive trails on fat-adaptation and "sleep low train low" training, so I think we are about to uncover a whole lot of new learning from the work they are doing.

Very impressive talk and whether you like Jeroen or not, he has a wealth of knowledge and a unique ability to captivate his audience !

Edit : JS endorsed the Phil Maffetone approach to training, which was great news for me !

Edited by htone

Just tried this - it is simply awesome. Just when I started to wonder what to do with all the lard I have left after making kaiings for the W2W! Tomorrow I am trying this with sheep fat - I have so much I am thinking of making soap from it.

Did you heat the lard before whipping it, or did you use it at room temp ?