LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

any info on sugar free electrolyte replacements??? i tend to cramp when i push to hard, when riding/racing on water alone

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any info on sugar free electrolyte replacements??? i tend to cramp when i push to hard, when riding/racing on water alone

On LCHF, you need sodium. Much more than normal. I suffered massively before I started to supplement with Sodium. I take much more salt in my normal meals, but also take stuff on the bike. I tend to use dry wors or salted nuts, but I'm looking for another source of sodium (Salty water is not cool), which doesn't contain all the extra protein...

I also think the whole grass fed / free range thing is bit of a marketing hype. Being a farmer myself I see lots of products claiming free range where the opposite really is true. A good indication is to look on the packaging if the free range claim is substantiated by compliance to some or other regulating body. Something like Karoo lamb, angus beef or the woollies products. They actually have a set of rules and do farm visits and certify their farmers.

Corn fed vs. grass fed is bit of a conundrum. Corn fed beef and lamb is actually more tender than grass fed. Animals are fed higher energy diets in feed lots. They reach the slaughter weight at a younger age and don't move around a lot. Grass fed animal reach their target weight at a later age and have to move around a lot for grazing. (tougher muscles) Most grass fed animals also receive some form of concentrate supplement (corn based!) to balance out the seasonal variations in the quality of the grazing. There is no such thing as a 100% grass fed animal.

What is true though is that with feed lot meat there is a much higher risk that the animal has been treated with growth hormones and stimulants to reach the target weight even faster. My advice would be is to forget the whole corn fed/ grass fed thing and look for product that is certified growth hormone and antibiotic free.

We fatten cows on grass only, the quality of the grass in summer in our area is amazing. Saw some cattle off my neighbours farm last week, that were some of the fattest I've ever seen, fattened on grass only.

Grade C beef, if properly slaughtered and hung can be almost as tender as grade A, but is soo much tastier. You can see by the fat if beef is grass fattened. The yellow fat on the steak is what you are looking for.

Cultivate your local butcher, and he'll hang that rump/Sir loin for you, or vacuum pack it to keep in your fridge for a couple of weeks, to maturity.

edit: I see you are from Heidelberg, did you know my swaer, Ian, who was running the tuisbedryf in town, I miss the pies from there, they are good.

Edited by deanbean

We fatten cows on grass only, the quality of the grass in summer in our area is amazing. Saw some cattle off my neighbours farm last week, that were some of the fattest I've ever seen, fattened on grass only.

Grade C beef, if properly slaughtered and hung can be almost as tender as grade A, but is soo much tastier. You can see by the fat if beef is grass fattened. The yellow fat on the steak is what you are looking for.

Cultivate your local butcher, and he'll hang that rump/Sir loin for you, or vacuum pack it to keep in your fridge for a couple of weeks, to maturity.

edit: I see you are from Heidelberg, did you know my swaer, Ian, who was running the tuisbedryf in town, I miss the pies from there, they are good.

Only saw him a couple of times when I bought something at Spensjolyt. Did not now him socially. Pies still are good though.

Read an article on the net last night, can't remember where, that claims the U.S. Drug and Food administration is about to release me w dietary guidelines admitting no link between dietary cholesterol and heart disease. Basically allowing as much saturated fats in your diet as you wish

Going to be interesting watching those that attacked Noakes running for cover. We have been lied to and manipulated for decades to the detriment of our health

Sugar not fat the enemy.

Read an article on the net last night, can't remember where, that claims the U.S. Drug and Food administration is about to release me w dietary guidelines admitting no link between dietary cholesterol and heart disease. Basically allowing as much saturated fats in your diet as you wish

Going to be interesting watching those that attacked Noakes running for cover. We have been lied to and manipulated for decades to the detriment of our health

Sugar not fat the enemy.

Nope, saturated fat is still the enemy, but not dietary cholesterol.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-guidelines-could-reflect-changing-view-cholesterol-180954223/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=02112015&utm_content=smartnewschangingcholesterol

For those who have an interest in understanding how cololesterol and lipids work, have a look at the two videos on this site.

Both these speakers received mentions at the LCHF conference last week so if the likes of Phinney, Noakes and Westman think their work is good, then it's good enough for me :)

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2014/10/11/all-doctors-should-watch-this-at-least-twice-if-not-more

On LCHF, you need sodium. Much more than normal. I suffered massively before I started to supplement with Sodium. I take much more salt in my normal meals, but also take stuff on the bike. I tend to use dry wors or salted nuts, but I'm looking for another source of sodium (Salty water is not cool), which doesn't contain all the extra protein...

Hi Dom this is a yes and a no :-) sodium intake needs consideration based on certain things. I have been LCHF for many many years and my sodium doesn't need to be increased significantly if U are water training. Sweat is hypotonic meaning you lose more fluid than sodium. The problem is that when U drink a fair amount of fluid in water terms only U tend to dilute your electrolyte levels and only then the sodium would be needed to try to prevent dilution. However if you manage your fluid intake properly or: cool from outside not from inside, you will not battle at all. Once you start taking in sodium you are playing with a fine balance and it can cause issues you need to be very exact about intake, loss and water balance. While in the Middle East last year in their summer I was easily doing 150-180km rides on water only at a fair pace in heat I would finish my rides slightly dehydrated but still very strong at the finish no large amount of fluid consumption at all and zero sodium. Each individual is unique though and needs to find what works for him. On LCHF just as a matter of interest I use carbohydrate periodization due to my volume of training, timing of intake still keeps my ketone levels pretty high if done correctly and this is done done mainly during or post exercise, depending on time and intensity. I work closely with Jodie Swallow & James on their nutritional needs and Jodie does require a fair amount of salt when racing in Kona due to the hot and humid climate and her fluid intake. In 2013 she blacked out with hyponatreamia but in 2014 she upped her sodium intake significantly with her large volume of fluid intake and managed a 4th place. She found the right formula for her needs. I have developed a specific product based on her needs called a Salt Drop its an explode tab just dropped in a water bottle and provides the necessary electrolyte mix sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and Vit D. It's coming to market shortly and will address the individuals needs.

Hope this helps

Hi Dom this is a yes and a no :-) sodium intake needs consideration based on certain things. I have been LCHF for many many years and my sodium doesn't need to be increased significantly if U are water training. Sweat is hypotonic meaning you lose more fluid than sodium. The problem is that when U drink a fair amount of fluid in water terms only U tend to dilute your electrolyte levels and only then the sodium would be needed to try to prevent dilution. However if you manage your fluid intake properly or: cool from outside not from inside, you will not battle at all. Once you start taking in sodium you are playing with a fine balance and it can cause issues you need to be very exact about intake, loss and water balance. While in the Middle East last year in their summer I was easily doing 150-180km rides on water only at a fair pace in heat I would finish my rides slightly dehydrated but still very strong at the finish no large amount of fluid consumption at all and zero sodium. Each individual is unique though and needs to find what works for him. On LCHF just as a matter of interest I use carbohydrate periodization due to my volume of training, timing of intake still keeps my ketone levels pretty high if done correctly and this is done done mainly during or post exercise, depending on time and intensity. I work closely with Jodie Swallow & James on their nutritional needs and Jodie does require a fair amount of salt when racing in Kona due to the hot and humid climate and her fluid intake. In 2013 she blacked out with hyponatreamia but in 2014 she upped her sodium intake significantly with her large volume of fluid intake and managed a 4th place. She found the right formula for her needs. I have developed a specific product based on her needs called a Salt Drop its an explode tab just dropped in a water bottle and provides the necessary electrolyte mix sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and Vit D. It's coming to market shortly and will address the individuals needs.

Hope this helps

I suppose I should have said what I suffered from... I couldn't stop cramping. This wasn't just during exercise. I would cramp at night while sleeping, or during the day sitting at the table.... Sodium has completely stopped this. The only cramping I experience now is when I race very hard... Which I attribute to not enough hard work.. :P

Does anyone have any experience with gout and being on LCHF diet ? I take puricos daily, but have found over the last few months that I am having more regular gout attacks.

Does anyone have any experience with gout and being on LCHF diet ? I take puricos daily, but have found over the last few months that I am having more regular gout attacks.

Also on Puricos (1 tablet / day) and no issues since being on LCHF.

been on LCHF for more than 4 months- initial weight-loss was excellent. Sugar level was OK (5) and Cholesterol(<5)- four months in, weight-loss seems to have stopped, sugars (40 BUT CHOLESTROL is UP (>7)!!!! 

i am aware that in need to do total Cholesterol test but I am worried!!!

been on LCHF for more than 4 months- initial weight-loss was excellent. Sugar level was OK (5) and Cholesterol(<5)- four months in, weight-loss seems to have stopped, sugars (40 BUT CHOLESTROL is UP (>7)!!!! 

i am aware that in need to do total Cholesterol test but I am worried!!!

There has been tons of discussion on this thread about this. I know we've covered a lot of ground already on this thread with so many pages, but see if you can go back and find the relevant discussions (unless someone else can help by repeating again).

Your total cholesterol count is completely irrelevant. Your total cholesterol levels might be rising because your HDL has gone up (good!). You need to do a test that checks for HDL/LDL and also for your triglycerides. And even total LDL count is too simplistic - you need to know if you've got rising small denser LDL (bad). But the main baddy is the triglycerides - if these are going up then you need to make some changes. High triglycerides correlate strongly with low HDL and smaller, denser LDL.

To help you out, here are some posts from Mark Sisson to get you started:

Edited by tombeej