LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I don't think I can do bullet proof coffee. I like coffee too much. I really really like coffee.

Spent some time in Tibet and with the Tibetan community in Kathmandu and India and quite liked Tibetan tea. I'm going to experiment a bit with that. Tea, butter and salt with a bit of bicarbonate I think. Perhaps I can incorporate coconut oil into the mixture.

No diet is getting between me and my morning cappuccino.

I must say, I love my morning cuppa, but I started slow and low with my bulletproof coffee. I find that the coconut oil gives it a lovely taste, even allowed me to get rid of my 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, I never would have dreamed! I don't do artificial sweetners, tates yuck and I am sure they cannot be any good for you. I now do cream, coconut oil and milk, if I don't have double cream, I do butter and standard cream. It sort of grows on you. I've found that if I do a bulletproof in the morning I don't really feel like having breakfast.

What is the esteemed hubber's opinion about sucralose and xylitol vs other sweetners. There is a lot of hype about it being more 'natural' than the sweetners. Tastes like crap, but I do have to confess, I sometimes have a sugar monster in my tummy and I opt for sucralose rather than sugar, esp with yoghurt. I know I know, rather stay away from it than use it. Are we going to end up in a situation like butter vs margerine, where we will find the real thing is way better than the processed. So 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar or 1/4 teaspoon of sucralose?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of posts back Look695 asked about cholesterol testing and LCHF.

For those who are looking for more info and prefer to watch rather than read, have a look at Thomas Dayspring's website www.lecturepad.org The concepts and details of cholesterol and lipids are nicely explained without getting too technical.

Perhaps start with http://www.lecturepad.org/index.php/cardiovascular/lipids-lipoproteins/979-basic-lipid-a-lipooprotein-biochemistry and then http://www.lecturepad.org/index.php/cardiovascular/biomarkers/1111-the-meaning-of-cholesterol-measurment

You will need to register to access the content but it's free and quick to register.

A quick question, seeing as I'm new to this.

A while ago (before starting LCHF) I bought a tub of USN Protein Dessert. I hauled it out of the cupboard yesterday while feeling hungry, carefully having a look at the ingredients to figure out whether it's something I could have.

Bearing in mind the general rule about staying away from over-processed stuff, what do you guys think? Would it be wise to go with this as an occasional top-up when the fridge is empty? It's high-protein, low-carb (just over 3g of carbs per serving) but of course it's powder so I have no idea what it really contains...

If you want to have it then I would say best time is immediately after exercise session.

Hi Guys, it is quite tuff in the beginning when you start this new way of living and there is a heap of questions that is still unclear for me like:

• can I still use Hammer Recoverite after training sessions?
  • can I use fruit like apples on training rides and races ? (2hours training rides)
  • do I still need to eat a bit every 45 min to an hour?
  • can I still use Hammer Perpetrium on 3h + rides?
  • best fuel for endurance rides - 8h +

Awesome!

If you want to have it then I would say best time is immediately after exercise session.

OK, yes, my thinking was to use it as a post-gym evening snack or post-gym supplement to breakfast. My breakfasts have in past been huge (as in, a massive bowl consisting of ProNutro, Corn Flakes and assorted muesli), so I'm finding it difficult to just have a bowl of greek yoghurt with nuts. Eggs are great, but I don't always feel like spending the time needed to make them in the morning...

Hi Guys, it is quite tuff in the beginning when you start this new way of living and there is a heap of questions that is still unclear for me like:

• can I still use Hammer Recoverite after training sessions?
  • can I use fruit like apples on training rides and races ? (2hours training rides)
  • do I still need to eat a bit every 45 min to an hour?
  • can I still use Hammer Perpetrium on 3h + rides?
  • best fuel for endurance rides - 8h +

There are a few different views on fuelling for training and racing. The view that seems to work best for most folk here is like this:

For low intensity long rides and high intensity short (<2hrs) rides. water is good enough. The logic is that once you are fat adapted then your body will burn fat for fuel at lower intensities. For the high intensity short rides, you are burning glycogen stores but your body has enough to keep you going for 2 hrs, so you don't need to eat anything for fuel.

For higher intensity rides like races over 2 hrs, you will effectively run out of glycogen stores, so some form of carb is needed to maintain the intensity. Davetapson did a post a while back on GLUT4 receptors and why these carbs don't spike insulin or get stored as fat - just do a thread search for it.

Wether you use a powder, gel or real food is up to you - taste differ. Personally I currently only train on water and use a weak UCAN solution for races over 3 hrs. You will need to experiment to find what works for you.

There are a few different views on fuelling for training and racing. The view that seems to work best for most folk here is like this:

For low intensity long rides and high intensity short (<2hrs) rides. water is good enough. The logic is that once you are fat adapted then your body will burn fat for fuel at lower intensities. For the high intensity short rides, you are burning glycogen stores but your body has enough to keep you going for 2 hrs, so you don't need to eat anything for fuel.

For higher intensity rides like races over 2 hrs, you will effectively run out of glycogen stores, so some form of carb is needed to maintain the intensity. Davetapson did a post a while back on GLUT4 receptors and why these carbs don't spike insulin or get stored as fat - just do a thread search for it.

Wether you use a powder, gel or real food is up to you - taste differ. Personally I currently only train on water and use a weak UCAN solution for races over 3 hrs. You will need to experiment to find what works for you.

Cool thanks, and my question on Hammer recoverite?

Cool thanks, and my question on Hammer recoverite?

I personally don't like those things so probably the wrong person to ask :)

What do you think it does for you that regular food won't do?

Five days on the diet. First 2 days it seemed all I did was eat. Settled down to it now. Wake up hungry at about 04:00 every day. Dropped almost 1kg so far. Not too much riding, just 2 sessions on the trainer. Feeling pretty good.

Yesterday was the first day I battled a little. Felt a bit light headed in the afternoon

First time on this diet as a non vegetarian. Much easier eating meat. Much greater variety of food available and I feel better than I did on the vege diet.

Hope to lose another 6kg in the next 3 months to get me to my target weight of 74kg. Hope to hit a race weight of 72kg at the end of the year.

See poor Tim Noakes took a beating on twitter yesterday. Proffesionals bashing the cr@p out of each other.

Kinda funny but also sad.

PS, I am a rather large Noakes fan.

Regards

My SO got the Noakes cookbook this week, so we've been having some of the food from it. I made the nocarb pasta, I must say that it would make a better gnocchi.

I suppose my body is 'fat adapted' as I don't train on much more than water and ride mostly in the morning before I eat. I drink full fat milk, eat proper butter and don't bother with 'low fat' foods, however I am still of the firm opinion that cutting out all carbs is ******* stupid. Just don't eat processed crap. Why cut them all out? Daft in my opinion.

I suppose my body is 'fat adapted' as I don't train on much more than water and ride mostly in the morning before I eat. I drink full fat milk, eat proper butter and don't bother with 'low fat' foods, however I am still of the firm opinion that cutting out all carbs is ******* stupid. Just don't eat processed crap. Why cut them all out? Daft in my opinion.

Each to their own, hey LL. I'm feeling much better since I cut out the white rubbish. :thumbup:

edit, and I'm no desk jockey, I'm a farmer doing a lot of heavy manual work.

Edited by deanbean

Fair enough. What is this 'white rubbish' of which you speak though? I honestly don't know how you would cut out all carbs. What is wrong with whole rolled oats, wheat and sugar free muesli and so forth? That's all I eat pretty much every day for lunch / breakfast and I feel great.

Fair enough. What is this 'white rubbish' of which you speak though? I honestly don't know how you would cut out all carbs. What is wrong with whole rolled oats, wheat and sugar free muesli and so forth? That's all I eat pretty much every day for lunch / breakfast and I feel great.

I can't eat flour, I'm gluten intolerant, this includes all wheat. I've also stopped eating sugar. My story is that I'm no longer so fast on a bike, and I've discovered that I rather like riding ultra-endurance races, so why not try to get my body burning fats rather than carbs, because my hr won't get very high on those events anyway.

Ok, gluten intolerance is one thing, and I don't eat much bread, flour or sugar. But cutting out all carbs is another thing altogether and I can't see how such an extreme approach would be wise, especially for an athlete or someone who is very active. I eat very little sugar and a lot of low GI stuff, but I'm still taking in carbs - it's inevitable and I don't see the problem if they are not processed **** - obviously you have to work quite hard to avoid that crap, but that is the nature of the corporate food machine.