LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a supply of bulk karoo lamb - esp. from source? Been thinking of buying a half lamb and stocking the freezer. Unfortunately it's a town freezer not a country freezer so it won't fit a whole lamb.

Dave - not sure where you from. For those on Pta area - I have a good supplier of Karoo Lamb in Centurion. Mail me if you need details.

so do you think the coconut oil would add the same sort of flavour as the cream/milk?

The organic virgin CO from crede oils has got quite a strong coconut flavour.

I read the label on that the other day - it still has loads of other stuff in it too

I suspect that most of Woolworths food has 'other stuff' in. Food doesn't look that perfect with some assistance. Eg. the Greek Yoghurt doesn't much separate - it probably has some form of stabiliser in it, and that stabiliser is probably some form of starch.

I'm pretty sure that most of their meat is 'brined', and I suspect that the brine may contain some sugar. How do you know something has sugar in it - it tastes more delicious than you expect it to.

Bought some real free-range chicken the other day, and it wasn't much like Woolies chicken...

Edit:

Speaking of which... stabilizers and a even a brochure

Another edit:

And there's even an industry around producing additives that don't have to be put on labels - 'Clean Label' additives...

Edited by davetapson

Not too bad. Store bought mutton is around R50 - R70 per kilo, depending on the cut. But I'd pay your price because I'd know where it came from, how it was reared, that it's grass fed, etc.

And it would give me an excuse to visit a part of SA that I haven't seen since I roamed those hills as a schoolboy (lots of good memories).

What price do you sell your offal at?

If you want the offal I'll keep it for you, only liver, kidney and heart though. The other bits don't keep too well.

Hmm. I think this is worth pursuing. Need to figure out logistics.

They usually dress out to around 20kg or a bit less. They lose a kg or 2 hanging. More in winter. Cut a sheep up that had been hanging for 10days yesterday and it had lost a lot due to the dryness.

If you want the offal I'll keep it for you, only liver, kidney and heart though. The other bits don't keep too well.

They usually dress out to around 20kg or a bit less. They lose a kg or 2 hanging. More in winter. Cut a sheep up that had been hanging for 10days yesterday and it had lost a lot due to the dryness.

Mmmm now I gotta lus for lamb :) :drool:

More than half of British breads contain ‘toxic’ pesticides

If it's like that in the UK, you can bet it's here too, and probably worse.

I will have to agree with you on the bit in bold, but you have to look past the sensationalist journalism. Firstly the two chemicals mentioned in the article are both herbicides not pesticides. Secondly they state that the levels detected fell shy of the 'maximum residue level'. They didn't state how far shy. Was it just below or far below the MRL. I bet it was far below otherwise they would have made a strong point about it.

The sad thing is you will have to look far and wide for organically produced wheat and maize in SA. (I don't think it exists.)

Sorry, I have to correct myself here.

Since cattle are ruminants, they don't accumulate omega 6 PUFAs in their fat like non-ruminants (chicken & pigs) do. So there's not really that much difference between grass-fed beef and factory-farmed grain-fed beef. In this respect, it's far better to eat cheap grain-feed beef fat than it is to eat chicken fat or pork fat.

There is a lot of scaremongering these days about eating grain-fed beef, and I just fell into that trap.

For me, the main reason between choosing meat from Checkers and a place like Hope Meats is more of a moral one. Factory reared cattle live a miserable and mistreated life in general, while cattle that graze out in the open grass fields where they belong have a very different life.

That aside, the fact remains that cattle and sheep (ruminants) are are far healthier source of fat than fowl or pork. That applies to grain-fed beef too.

The reason is because ruminants are genetically designed to process and break down omega 6's during digestion, whereas pigs and chickens are not. Neither are humans. In other words, omega 6's accumulate in pork/chicken/human fat.

Moral of the story: eat lots of beef and lamb/mutton fat. As much as you like.

What about eggs, are they ok to eat? (Seeing that they are made by chickens)

What about eggs, are they ok to eat? (Seeing that they are made by chickens)

Problem with eggs is that the chickens have to be fed something to make the eggs - and as Sniffie has said in the past, non-gmo maize is not readily available in SA.

I bought a couple of chickens so at least I had some idea of what they are eating (most of the garden, my basil bush, my chilli plants, the flowers amongst other stuff) but am in all likelihood feeding them with gmo maize in their feed.

Read Farmer Angus's issueswith trying to get non-gmo chicken feed...

That all aside - I eat eggs. First choice are mine, second is Woolies (because they are quite strong on proper farming techniques), third is Boschveld eggs but they are not so easy to get hold of if you don't live in Bela Bela otherwise whatever I can get. Eggs is better than no eggs in my view.

I'd prefer they weren't produced by chickens eating gmo maize (read: I'd rather not be eating eggs produced by chickens that excrete dung that contains Rounduptm.)

Edited by davetapson

I also enjoy my eggs, but maybe a 3 - 4 a week, tops.

I've read before that there's a big difference in the omega 6:3 ratio between range-fed eggs (1.5:1) and 'supermarket eggs' (about 20:1).

So if you enjoy eggs, and you still like your bacon and pork chops (like I do), I would suggest maybe forking out a little bit more for the free-range kind.

I don't want to be one of those scaremongerers who say this and that is going to kill you. I'm definitely a much more relaxed paleo type of guy, I don't stick to strict dogma all the time.

But a few things I am very fussy about: removal of all the bad vegetable oils from my life (excluding olive, avo and macadamia oil), try and eliminate grains from my life, and to reduce my omega 6 intake as much as possible. I can't avoid all sources of omega 6, but where I can I try keep it to 'reasonable' levels.