LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

A question for those in the know, will a glass or 2 of wine a night cause weight loss stall?

I am just starting out with this new way of thinking/eating and am VERY concerned about the above point

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just starting out with this new way of thinking/eating and am VERY concerned about the above point

Umm, if you trawl back through this thread, you will find enough info to either calm your fears or have you reaching for the bottle :whistling: ... it sort of depends what your goals are

If rapid weight loss is the goal, then staying away from the booze for a month or 2 can't hurt.

If heart health is your goal, then my cardiologist will tell you that a glass of red every night is mandatory :thumbup:

If long term sustainability is the plan, and you love wine (like many of us), then trying to cut it out forever is simply going to derail your efforts.

Perhaps, give it a miss for a month, let your body get fat adapted and slowly add a glass or three back after that.

BTW: I have found that the hardest thing about no alcohol for a month is not the cravings, but the peer pressure from your mates when you ask for a soda instead of wine. Some folk seem to take it really personally they you won't drink with them. Tell them you're on antibiotics for some rare disease and they will leave you alone :clap:

Going on 3 months and we feel fantastic! We have no desire at all to return to our previous eating habits. I feel energetic and positive. Have an injury that is healing then its back on the bike. Cant wait. And as an added bonus, the wife is becoming that sexy chick again that I married 16 years ago. I would recommend to any person to adopt this lifestyle change and feel the changes.

For those of you who have had as much success trying to render fat as I have (about none!!), I found this at my local butchery. Duck fat, tallow, lard. Online sales as well.

http://www.melfort.co.za

For those of you who have had as much success trying to render fat as I have (about none!!), I found this at my local butchery. Duck fat, tallow, lard. Online sales as well.

http://www.melfort.co.za

also use the melford range of fats. I like the duck fat

Need some help.... My energy drink of choice has always been 32GI. I'm living low carb at the moment, need some tips on what to use nutrition wise on the longer rides. I'm really struggling, I go completely flat after around 20 km of riding/1 - 1.5 hours.

How did you guys make the transition from carb loaded rides to no carbs.... I'm just running on water at the moment. Was thinking of trying out some types of teas ?

Need some help.... My energy drink of choice has always been 32GI. I'm living low carb at the moment, need some tips on what to use nutrition wise on the longer rides. I'm really struggling, I go completely flat after around 20 km of riding/1 - 1.5 hours.

How did you guys make the transition from carb loaded rides to no carbs.... I'm just running on water at the moment. Was thinking of trying out some types of teas ?

This was discussed a few pages back...training on carbs etc

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125843-lchf-low-carb-high-fat-diet-ver-2/page__st__3232

and onwards

Edited by Oxter

Just to confirm: you're not eating any high Gi carbs before the ride?

I remember starting out on water and feeling great, not hungry on the bike, but no power in the legs (even very tired/aching quads). After a while it started coming back, but I wasn't adding carbs for the ride - just kept going with water during training rides.

What has done me in since then is making the mistake of eating high Gi carbs before a ride. Doesn't work for me. Spikes my blood sugar and seems to switch my body right back into a carb-craving machine just before the ride starts. Which means if I'm not munching carbs all the way through the ride, the 'wheels' fall off inevitably.

When racing, I will eat a banana on the start line just as the gun is about to go. That give my body the first hour to digest the banana and so I don't have to worry about food in the first 1.5hrs of racing. And it prevents the pre-ride blood sugar spike. I will then have a couple of gels in the back pocket for the last 1 hr (this is for my usual pace of 2h45 - 2h55 for 100km races).

Just to confirm: you're not eating any high Gi carbs before the ride?

I remember starting out on water and feeling great, not hungry on the bike, but no power in the legs (even very tired/aching quads). After a while it started coming back, but I wasn't adding carbs for the ride - just kept going with water during training rides.

What has done me in since then is making the mistake of eating high Gi carbs before a ride. Doesn't work for me. Spikes my blood sugar and seems to switch my body right back into a carb-craving machine just before the ride starts. Which means if I'm not munching carbs all the way through the ride, the 'wheels' fall off inevitably.

When racing, I will eat a banana on the start line just as the gun is about to go. That give my body the first hour to digest the banana and so I don't have to worry about food in the first 1.5hrs of racing. And it prevents the pre-ride blood sugar spike. I will then have a couple of gels in the back pocket for the last 1 hr (this is for my usual pace of 2h45 - 2h55 for 100km races).

Yeah no carbo loading before the race either. I managed to find some info on page 203.... Looks like some guys are using 32GI around 1 hour in with some success.... Maybe I'll experiment with it a bit. I think I'm going to try out really weak solutions of 32GI in my rides and see if it helps. If it does, I'll try slowly weaning myself off it again.

I get the same weird feeling as you ! I feel perfect and full of energy, but my legs just feel like they have nothing in them.

Totally agree with no carbs before the ride. I start a bit early with carbs for a long ride, like after about 15 minutes.

At the moment I am experimenting with espresso and honey in a 50 50 mix and that's working well. Also with condensed milk with a little water so it's not quite so thick. Also working very well. Banana is great of course. I decided to go without the scientifically formulated stuff. It's sugar after all.

Properly adapted I think you should be able to do at least an hour with just water. I can pretty much handle any intensity for the first hour. No flat spots. After that I eat carbs so I can maintain intensity.

Kenda, then I'd say to you just keep going with water only for your training tides.

It doesn't take long before you come through on the other side. The weak/achy legs thing goes away. What comes after that is a feeling that you can go forever without needing to refuel, a bulletproof diesel engine that can just go and go and go. That’s your end-goal. You’ll know it when it comes, very freeing.

Then, when you occasionally need the engine to burn 'hot' when the intensity is high, carbs become the nitrox injection for that turbo boost.

Kenda, then I'd say to you just keep going with water only for your training tides.

It doesn't take long before you come through on the other side. The weak/achy legs thing goes away. What comes after that is a feeling that you can go forever without needing to refuel, a bulletproof diesel engine that can just go and go and go. That’s your end-goal. You’ll know it when it comes, very freeing.

Then, when you occasionally need the engine to burn 'hot' when the intensity is high, carbs become the nitrox injection for that turbo boost.

Totally agree with no carbs before the ride. I start a bit early with carbs for a long ride, like after about 15 minutes.

At the moment I am experimenting with espresso and honey in a 50 50 mix and that's working well. Also with condensed milk with a little water so it's not quite so thick. Also working very well. Banana is great of course. I decided to go without the scientifically formulated stuff. It's sugar after all.

Properly adapted I think you should be able to do at least an hour with just water. I can pretty much handle any intensity for the first hour. No flat spots. After that I eat carbs so I can maintain intensity.

Cool, thanks for the tips guys.... I really need this diesel engine. I'm starting to stress out, I had a very intense bonk on a half marathon when I first went low carb. It was a intense ride. Metabolically I crashed around 1 hour after the ride, I thought I was going to die. Intense headache and puking out everything that went in.... Trying to avoid that from happening again. So it's still kind of a mental block for me at the moment, more a fear of bonking again than anything else. I have never felt that sick before :blush: :oops: