LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I am experimenting with dried berries, nuts, banana and droewors.The gels and sugary sweet stuff gives me stomach cramps on long rides (4 to 5 hours)

BTW I am staring a month of extreme low carb-ing and no boozing from tonight onward (Had to finish some perishable fruits for lunch). I have been lesser carb diet for a while and managed to lose 12kg in 3 months. Its now another 3 months down the line and I have stagnated at 92kg / 93kg. My aim is to go from 92kg to 85kg in this month. I will start a full log of activity and food consumed(with recipe) and daily weight results. If it worked I'll share if it does not I'll ask your advice.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here experiment with adding salt to their coconut oil?

Salted butter lasts longer than unsalted, so I've tried it and the taste is improved (shelf-life hopefully also).

Trick is to do it when the coconut oil is liquid or you'll find yourself chewing on some salt rocks LMAO.

Great to see so many people contributing!

So, there was a discussion a while ago on pemican and how to make it. I've been experimenting a bit and have found that the following works for me:

Tallow (rendered suet) is the only fat that is stable enough at room temp to make the product transportable and useable for a snack. I tried lard and duck fat but neither are good.

Snapsticks style biltong works best, or very old very dry biltong (like when you go on holiday and forget to take it out the biltong maker!). Moist biltong kind of falls apart when you shred it.

I add some salt and pepper just cause its tastes better.

I shred the biltong almost to rice sized grains, then slowly add the hot tallow till it forms a nice thick paste (think cold porridge)

Have tried adding dried cranberries, but not sure I like the sweetness they provide.

I pour the mix into silicone muffin cups and leave to harden at room temp. them pop them out the muffin cups and store in a tupperware.

Have also tried using small ziplock bags (like bank bags), put 1-2 table spoons of mixture in a bag and flatten it. This makes a sort of flat square bar they can be easily transported - as lunch box snack or carried on the bile for a long ride.

One issue with taking it with on the bike is that if you put it in your pocket, the heat from your body makes it mushy and hard to eat :(

They keep in the cupboard - they seem fine after a month. This may be less in summer?

Edited by DaleE

So, there was a discussion a while ago on pemican and how to make it. I've been experimenting a bit and have found that the following works for me:

Tallow (rendered suet) is the only fat that is stable enough at room temp to make the product transportable and useable for a snack. I tried lard and duck fat but neither are good.

Snapsticks style biltong works best, or very old very dry biltong (like when you go on holiday and forget to take it out the biltong maker!). Moist biltong kind of falls apart when you shred it.

I add some salt and pepper just cause its tastes better.

I shred the biltong almost to rice sized grains, then slowly add the hot tallow till it forms a nice thick paste (think cold porridge)

Have tried adding dried cranberries, but not sure I like the sweetness they provide.

I pour the mix into silicone muffin cups and leave to harden at room temp. them pop them out the muffin cups and store in a tupperware.

Have also tried using small ziplock bags (like bank bags), put 1-2 table spoons of mixture in a bag and flatten it. This makes a sort of flat square bar they can be easily transported - as lunch box snack or carried on the bile for a long ride.

One issue with taking it with on the bike is that if you put it in your pocket, the heat from your body makes it mushy and hard to eat :(

They keep in the cupboard - they seem fine after a month. This may be less in summer?

What happens if you just take real fatty biltong and repeat the process. This is the first time I hear of this type of snack. Sometimes you get that biltong piece that has more fat than meat. It seems that someone has to invent a tiny double walled cooler bag/box to use in your pocket. Maybe experiment using tinfoil plastic, tinfoil and another plastic bag as an insulator against body heat. I cant remember if the shiny side goes inside or outside.

I am experimenting with dried berries, nuts, banana and droewors.The gels and sugary sweet stuff gives me stomach cramps on long rides (4 to 5 hours)

BTW I am staring a month of extreme low carb-ing and no boozing from tonight onward (Had to finish some perishable fruits for lunch). I have been lesser carb diet for a while and managed to lose 12kg in 3 months. Its now another 3 months down the line and I have stagnated at 92kg / 93kg. My aim is to go from 92kg to 85kg in this month. I will start a full log of activity and food consumed(with recipe) and daily weight results. If it worked I'll share if it does not I'll ask your advice.

7kg in a month? That's the upper end of what's safely doable... you might want to set a more realistic target

What happens if you just take real fatty biltong and repeat the process.

It doesn't work as well. My feeling is because the rendered fat is 'purer' than the leftover fat on the biltong. Also, remember that you are aiming for a fat:protein ratio of 60:40, so fatty biltong is not really fatty enough :)

It doesn't work as well. My feeling is because the rendered fat is 'purer' than the leftover fat on the biltong. Also, remember that you are aiming for a fat:protein ratio of 60:40, so fatty biltong is not really fatty enough :)

By making your own biltong you can get it as fat as you like.

I generally use nice fatty cuts of beef for my biltong, then when it's cured I just cut away most of the fat with a bit of the actual meat for a bit of texture and flavour.

Then all the lean meat I give to the rest of the family and I keep the good stuff :)

By making your own biltong you can get it as fat as you like.

I generally use nice fatty cuts of beef for my biltong, then when it's cured I just cut away most of the fat with a bit of the actual meat for a bit of texture and flavour.

Then all the lean meat I give to the rest of the family and I keep the good stuff :)

what cuts do you ask for at the shop?

what cuts do you ask for at the shop?

The traditional biltong cut is silverside, but I don't really bother about cut type.

I go to my local butcher and ask him for nice thick fatty cuts - he knows how I like it. I go to my local Foodlovers Market for decent grass-fed beef.

If I'm feeling cheap and lazy I might find myself in the local supermarket browsing the beef section looking for really fatty cuts of whatever I can find - budget rump steak, silverside, topside, or whatever looks best for the job. But this is not something I really like to do. The relatively high concentrations of omega 6 PUFAs accumulated in the fat of grain-feed beef is something to always keep in mind (and to try and avoid as much as possible).

Got some thing today from Melissa's

Richard Bosman Meats ( free range) called Lardons: basically meat and fat and spices.

Quite tasty and great as a snack - bit like salami not in sausage form :)

The traditional biltong cut is silverside, but I don't really bother about cut type.

I go to my local butcher and ask him for nice thick fatty cuts - he knows how I like it. I go to my local Foodlovers Market for decent grass-fed beef.

If I'm feeling cheap and lazy I might find myself in the local supermarket browsing the beef section looking for really fatty cuts of whatever I can find - budget rump steak, silverside, topside, or whatever looks best for the job. But this is not something I really like to do. The relatively high concentrations of omega 6 PUFAs accumulated in the fat of grain-feed beef is something to always keep in mind (and to try and avoid as much as possible).

Sorry, I have to correct myself here.

Since cattle are ruminants, they don't accumulate omega 6 PUFAs in their fat like non-ruminants (chicken & pigs) do. So there's not really that much difference between grass-fed beef and factory-farmed grain-fed beef. In this respect, it's far better to eat cheap grain-feed beef fat than it is to eat chicken fat or pork fat.

There is a lot of scaremongering these days about eating grain-fed beef, and I just fell into that trap.

For me, the main reason between choosing meat from Checkers and a place like Hope Meats is more of a moral one. Factory reared cattle live a miserable and mistreated life in general, while cattle that graze out in the open grass fields where they belong have a very different life.

That aside, the fact remains that cattle and sheep (ruminants) are are far healthier source of fat than fowl or pork. That applies to grain-fed beef too.

The reason is because ruminants are genetically designed to process and break down omega 6's during digestion, whereas pigs and chickens are not. Neither are humans. In other words, omega 6's accumulate in pork/chicken/human fat.

Moral of the story: eat lots of beef and lamb/mutton fat. As much as you like.

Edited by tombeej

what brand of coconut milk do you okes use? I just bought two tins of Goldcrest at PnP (that was all they had and no coconut cream) and when I read the label at home it is full of unpronounceable shite.