LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

want to ask you guys ..

carbs still need to need to form a small percentage of ones diet (ok not in all cases).

does it matter what the source of the carbs is? or is the ratio of carbs to fats to proteins more important ?

i.e a toasted cheese sami, vs a small bowl of spag bol ?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

want to ask you guys ..

carbs still need to need to form a small percentage of ones diet (ok not in all cases).

does it matter what the source of the carbs is? or is the ratio of carbs to fats to proteins more important ?

I think it does matter - I try get carbs from veg instead of pastas & the other poisons

ok peeps, today is SO not a good day! had a few cocktails in Knysna this weekend (3 to be precise) and a scone today. feel over this and dont know if I can sustain. it feels like i have lost ALL the knowledge i have learnt over the past months and just plain the moering (oops can I say that :) feel between rock and a hard place. cant go back to old eating but cant sustain this. so upset

Hey, don't sweat it. You have the rest of you life to make the change. Take it easy. You have a scone or three, no problem. Just stop having them when you are ready to and carry on...

It took Noakes the best part of two years to refine his diet, and Volek who's the grandaddy of all this, many, many years.

Just keep moving in the right direction and you'll be fine.

want to ask you guys ..

My view is that it is quite hard to remove carbs from your diet as most of everything does have some amount of carb.

I'd go for veg sources - butternut, sweet potato etc. Even with those, it's hard to keep carb levels down.

Just as a matter of interest, Noakes' latest comment is that he doesn't see why anyone would need > 200g carb / day.

So if you're not doing the ketotic thing, that would probably make a good threshold to try and remain under. Would allow you a fair amount of chowing down on carbs too, esp if you choose carb moderate food options.

Hi Everybody

My first time on - great discussion you have here!

Just a quick question: Do the carb values (grams) that you guys are using, include dietary fibre(in other words, do you count TOTAL carbs) or do you refer to carbs minus dietary fibre. If you want to take in at least 20-35g of daily dietary fibre (as recommended), and fibre is included in the carb values, it will be quite a challenge to keep daily carbs below say a 100g or lower (even if most of your carbs comes from veggies).

My apologies if this was already discussed - I have to confess, I did not read everything in this forum.

In my mind and experience the types of carbs do matter. I eat ANY kind of wheat, be that bread, pasta, cereal, whatever, I feel sh1te within an hour. Bread bloats me to the point where I am downright uncomfortable. So I hang my hat on two statements around this. The one is from Phinney, who says eat veggies that grow above the ground, and the other is Noakes who says if hasn't been alive until recently, then it isn't food.

Stray if you have to, we all do that from time to time, but on the whole there should be no reason to have to pick the processed carbs. If you absolutely have to, pick the one that you can cover in oil - so in your example unless it was a really oily cheese, I would pick the spaghetti and add oodles of olive oil.

@christinejvr, count the total carbs. There's no point in counting the fibre separately. If you are aiming to e.g. stay below 100g of carbs per day, that is total carbs. I have posted a link from dietdoctor before illustrating that 100g of carbs from veggies is a LOT of veggies, but for you, just for today, I will post it again below. It is not a challenge at all. If you just cut out the junk carbs (carbage) you will actually find it quite difficult to get to 100g of carbs from veggies alone.

Thirty Grams of Carbs in Two Ways

April 17 8:02 in Low Carb High Fat

http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-content/2013/04/301.jpg

Both pictures contain 30 grams of carbs – a daily intake while eating moderately strict LCHF. Which would you choose?

In other words: avoid the major sources of carbs (sweets, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes). Then you can enjoy plenty of other good food and still get a good effect on your weight and health.

Pictures from this Swedish blog

PS

Really carb-sensitive people and those who want the maximum effect of LCHF can benefit from keeping the carb intake below 20 grams a day (maybe even lower). They need to be careful not to eat too much carrots, nuts or berries.

Read more: LCHF for beginners

ht, any news on the job front ?

Got a nice response from the ad on The Hub, otherwise the going has been slow. But sometimes slow is good ;)

Got a nice response from the ad on The Hub, otherwise the going has been slow. But sometimes slow is good ;)

:clap: :clap:

Oh and christinejvr (oh how I miss the original thread sometimes) there was a fair amount of discussion on how pointless it is to supplement with fibre if you get the bulk of your diet from fresh, unprocessed foods. In fact, there has been quite a bit of evidence (and my wife and I experienced the same) where adding e.g. psyllium husks as an external source of fibre caused constipation and interfered with the normal "processing" of food. Keep your food fresh and healthy as far as you can and the fibre fairytale will soon disappear ;)

@christinejvr, count the total carbs. There's no point in counting the fibre separately. If you are aiming to e.g. stay below 100g of carbs per day, that is total carbs. I have posted a link from dietdoctor before illustrating that 100g of carbs from veggies is a LOT of veggies, but for you, just for today, I will post it again below. It is not a challenge at all. If you just cut out the junk carbs (carbage) you will actually find it quite difficult to get to 100g of carbs from veggies alone.

Thank you, htone. Don't think I'll ever go the extreme route, definitely not long term. You need the fibre for a healthy gut.

Thank you, htone. Don't think I'll ever go the extreme route, definitely not long term. You need the fibre for a healthy gut.

My understanding is that you don't need fibre for a healthy gut.

want to ask you guys ..

Ja it keeps coming back to that pic of htone's re. 30g of carbs from a bun vs. from all those beautiful, nutritious fruits/veges/seeds.

The type of carb is very important. I cannot understand people who are happy to eat a bun and then tick that off as their carb intake for the day when there's zero nutritional value - may as well eat cardboard. How can your body respond positively to worthless crap like that.

On the other hand, one of lifes great pleasures for me is to eat a grapefruit or a handful of fresh berries. Like tapping into the source of life itself.

Starches - no (rice, potato, etc)

Grains - no.

High GI fruits and veges - no.

Processed carbs - flour based like pastas, pastries, bread, etc - no, no and no.

Any carb that's processed, refined, etc. - no!

Any sugary carb - oh hell no.

Low carb vegies - yes (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, etc). And as fresh, whole and raw as possible.

Low GI fruit - yes, in moderation depending on your personal preference and needs (the berries, apples, plums, grapefruit).

Nuts - maccadamias.

The Inuit people of Alaska feed the lean cuts of the walrus to their dogs. They take the brown blubber of the walrus and mix it with the lean bison meat, can't remember what it is called. They stash this in an animal skin, and as long as this stash holds they don't get scurvy. However when it is depleted and they are forced to live of the lean meat of the snow rabbits the get scurvy and can actually die if they don't get fat back quickly into their diet. You can google: "rabbit poisoning", quit interesting. The ratio for their diet is 80% fat and 20% protein, with only trace amounts of carbs. If they don't get killed by an angry bison or succumb to the climate or a storm at sea, they live to a healthy old age.

The way I understand nutrition we will get maximum benefit by eating Eskimos.