LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Might work well with biltong dust, if you have access to that...

That's what I was referring to.... not sure what it is called in english. I always let a few pieces of game biltong hang until bone dry and chop it up in the food processor to make the dust.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is where 'Pemican' comes from. Google it.

Basically fat with protein, made into a bar for easy eating.

Could be nice using Coconut oil and biltong

My wife makes me pemican.

I used it in sani2c straight after ride for fuel and protein.

Quiet like it actually, going camping in Kalahari for 3 weeks now and will use it as my snack during day.

The Inuit people of Alaska feed the lean cuts of the walrus to their dogs. They take the brown blubber of the walrus and mix it with the lean bison meat, can't remember what it is called. They stash this in an animal skin, and as long as this stash holds they don't get scurvy. However when it is depleted and they are forced to live of the lean meat of the snow rabbits the get scurvy and can actually die if they don't get fat back quickly into their diet. You can google: "rabbit poisoning", quit interesting. The ratio for their diet is 80% fat and 20% protein, with only trace amounts of carbs. If they don't get killed by an angry bison or succumb to the climate or a storm at sea, they live to a healthy old age.

You meant "Rabbit starvation" Sniffie : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Honest question: why would someone want to buy lean biltong?

It's like non-alcoholic beer. What purpose does it serve?

I ate it because I didn't like the taste of fat, well that's changed now. Even though I'm still getting nauseous with all this fat. How long will this go on for?

I ate it because I didn't like the taste of fat, well that's changed now. Even though I'm still getting nauseous with all this fat. How long will this go on for?

Depends. Some people adapt quickly. Usually 2 - 4 weeks and you should be fine. Try spacing it out through the day initially rather than chugging it all down in one go.

Any tips on breaking the carb cravings? Did quite well at the beginning of the year but a big family function (2 weeks worth!) in April had me back on the carbs. Have battled since then to get back to where I was. Carb addiction is not hocus pocus. Jan - Apr lost 6 kg, Apr - Jun put 6 kg back on.

I could give you tips, but my tips are regarded as radical in some quarters.... :whistling:

I am one of those people who cannot do things on a 50/50 or sometimes even an 80/20 basis, at least not initially. So my advice has always been to cut the carbs completely, go through the detox cold-turkey and keep doing that until you can walk down the chocolate isle in the shop without flinching. Only then can you introduce carbs back in small amounts, and even then stick to small amounts of potato and rice only. Avoid wheat like the plague - if there is one thing that is my Achilles heel when it comes to carbs, it is bread. I can eat a whole loaf of freshly baked bread in one sitting, no problem. Or those tiny slices of freshly baked bread that they bring to your table in restaurants - I can ask for enough refills to feed a small African country and still eat my meal after that.

You have to see carb addiction like drug addiction and understand what that addiction is going to do to you. It will cause "junky mentality" - where you will start reasoning with yourself about "just one won't hurt" or "I have already given up so much" or "I have been good for the whole week" and it is just there where the majority of us fall. Don't be fooled, it is the same thing as drug addiction, drugs just do what they do a lot quicker than carbs.

Or, if you are really strong-willed like many members on this board you can of course "ease" yourself out of carbs, by eating less and less of it and by steadily cutting more and more from your diet. I am just saying that from my own experience (and that of my circle of friends) that is the part that does not work and it is the point where most often people fail and/or give up on LCHF.

But listen, burnbabyburn, you have an advantage here that many of us didn't have when we started on this journey. You have a "support group" second to none. If you get stuck, if you develop cravings, if you feel that you cannot do it, just post on here - this is the ONLY thread on the Hub where people will genuinely try to assist without getting personal or sarcastic (and I say that with a certain amount of pride). Use this to your advantage.

And take it step by step, day by day. You can even use this as a log or diary if you wish. Tell us that you have been successful at not eating carbs for a day. Tell us even if you failed. You may just find that motivating and who knows, there may be hundreds of others in exactly the same position as you who may learn from this and find it inspiring.

Now decide that you CAN do it. Then DO it.

Thanks for that htone. My initial success in Jan was going cold turkey on the obvious things like bread, sweets etc. Think the older we are the harder it is to change decades worth of carb 'abuse'. Abuse in that I've been involved in aerobic sport for almost 30 years and the convention wisdom was carte blanche with carbs.

I could give you tips, but my tips are regarded as radical in some quarters.... :whistling:

I am one of those people who cannot do things on a 50/50 or sometimes even an 80/20 basis, at least not initially. So my advice has always been to cut the carbs completely, go through the detox cold-turkey and keep doing that until you can walk down the chocolate isle in the shop without flinching. Only then can you introduce carbs back in small amounts, and even then stick to small amounts of potato and rice only. Avoid wheat like the plague - if there is one thing that is my Achilles heel when it comes to carbs, it is bread. I can eat a whole loaf of freshly baked bread in one sitting, no problem. Or those tiny slices of freshly baked bread that they bring to your table in restaurants - I can ask for enough refills to feed a small African country and still eat my meal after that.

You have to see carb addiction like drug addiction and understand what that addiction is going to do to you. It will cause "junky mentality" - where you will start reasoning with yourself about "just one won't hurt" or "I have already given up so much" or "I have been good for the whole week" and it is just there where the majority of us fall. Don't be fooled, it is the same thing as drug addiction, drugs just do what they do a lot quicker than carbs.

Or, if you are really strong-willed like many members on this board you can of course "ease" yourself out of carbs, by eating less and less of it and by steadily cutting more and more from your diet. I am just saying that from my own experience (and that of my circle of friends) that is the part that does not work and it is the point where most often people fail and/or give up on LCHF.

But listen, burnbabyburn, you have an advantage here that many of us didn't have when we started on this journey. You have a "support group" second to none. If you get stuck, if you develop cravings, if you feel that you cannot do it, just post on here - this is the ONLY thread on the Hub where people will genuinely try to assist without getting personal or sarcastic (and I say that with a certain amount of pride). Use this to your advantage.

And take it step by step, day by day. You can even use this as a log or diary if you wish. Tell us that you have been successful at not eating carbs for a day. Tell us even if you failed. You may just find that motivating and who knows, there may be hundreds of others in exactly the same position as you who may learn from this and find it inspiring.

Now decide that you CAN do it. Then DO it.

I can echo every word! Great advice IMHO.

In the book " The sheltering dunes" about 2Germans hiding in the Namibia to escape a POW camp during the war they talk about there cravings for fat. How eating lean meat for long periods made them fantasize and dream about fat.

From Joe Friel's latest blog, aimed at aging athletes. (The 'aging' applies to me, dunno about 'athlete'...)

The few studies I can find on the topic of nutrition, recovery and aging, indicate that older athletes may need more protein in recovery than do younger ones (2,3). This implies that there may be a reduced need for carbohydrate during recovery. In fact another study found that healthy, elderly men (non-athletes) had a reduced capacity to oxidize carbs and an increased capacity to use fat for fuel (4). Whether or not this also applies to athletes is currently open for conjecture.

I've been doing some tinkering with my nutrition in the last 8 months and the results have been really interesting. I'm going to devote an entire post to that soon, so won't touch on it now. Whatever you've found works well for you when it comes to diet simply can't be compromised as you get older. Only a few aging athletes who are truly unique can continue eating lots of junk food and still perform at a high level well into their 50s, 60s and 70s. I've certainly found that I can't.

Might explain why us older types may have had an easier trasition to fat-burning.

​He met up with Noakes a few months ago - can't wait to see what his 'tinkering with my nutrition in the last 8 months' comprises of... :)

Blog link: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2013/06/aging-my-recovery.html

Edited by davetapson

ok peeps, today is SO not a good day! had a few cocktails in Knysna this weekend (3 to be precise) and a scone today. feel over this and dont know if I can sustain. it feels like i have lost ALL the knowledge i have learnt over the past months and just plain the moering (oops can I say that :) feel between rock and a hard place. cant go back to old eating but cant sustain this. so upset