MTB cleats \ pedals advice

in10sive

When you ride clipless you are connected to the bike. When you ride flats you become connected with the bike.

If you are riding XCO, XCM or district roads, clipless is the best choice. But if you want to transform your trail riding skills, and do drops, jumps, manuals, wheelies and bunnyhops, flats are the way to go.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I will have to do some more research, most of my riding is done on relative flat offroad trails because of fhe area I am in but I love the DH / tricky stuff and thats what cause me to crash today...

Any recomendations for proper flat pedals, still in 2 minds

Seems like I will have to do some more research, most of my riding is done on relative flat offroad trails because of fhe area I am in but I love the DH / tricky stuff and thats what cause me to crash today...

Any recomendations for proper flat pedals, still in 2 minds

If you go flats, I would recommend:

FiveTen Freerider shoes

Nukeproof Neutron/Wellgo B54/DMR V12 pedals.

ride trail pedals on my xc bike and flats on my enduro bike, far prefer flats, and actually dont like the clipped in feeling much even in xc riding,maybe it does give a little extra power sometimes,but my skill has way improved from riding flats.

In the mean time while you are making up your mind on which way to go, try using a spot of lube on your pedals - it makes the clip in/ out action much smoother.

FiveTen Freerider shoes

who stocks FiveTen in SA, pref online just want to see how much they are going for

I don't know anything about the cleats vs flats, but I do know that on the first few rides I did with cleats falling was common occurrence ! It improves over time and it happens very seldom now. Having said that, I come off yesterday as I just didn't expect to have a problem with a small obstacle and was caught unawares ..

Bullcrap.

Yes, spuddies are better for marathon and xc disciplines where pedal efficiency is king. But in terms of a pure pedal experience nothing beats flats. And you get just as much power out of them, and they make you learn proper technique instead of instilling the laziness that you often get through using cleats (improper bunny hop technique etc)

I went to flats about 4 months back. Will never go back. So much more flexible and tunable on terms of rider input etc.

Wow but arent we outspoken. The guy asked for an opinion. I gave mine. Why dont you give yours without slating mine. Have you asked the guy if he wants to bunny hop around like a 12 year old? Or are you so.arrogant that you will decide for him? Rather give your opinion

I am sure that after considering all the opinions, he will be able to make an educated decision.

Wow but arent we outspoken. The guy asked for an opinion. I gave mine. Why dont you give yours without slating mine. Have you asked the guy if he wants to bunny hop around like a 12 year old? Or are you so.arrogant that you will decide for him? Rather give your opinion

I am sure that after considering all the opinions, he will be able to make an educated decision.

He was not attacking you.

In your first post you said two things:

You said that leaving clipless will be the biggest mistake. How do you know that? The OP did not specify the type of riding he wants to do.

You carried on and said that riding flats will result in eating more gravel. Well that is just ridiculous, if you have ever ridden a good flat pedal/shoe combo you will understand what we are on about.

Just like cptmayhem didn't ask the guy if he wants to bunnyhop like a 12 year old, you didn't ask the guy if he wants to ride endless gravel roads like a middle aged businessman.

who stocks FiveTen in SA, pref online just want to see how much they are going for

Local online: dialdbikes.co.za

Int online: Chain Reaction Cycles

Guest Smimby

Hi

Had a great day MTB on some rought terrain but went down twice :-) because could not get my foot cleat out of the pedal in time.

Anyone got some tips/advice for a noob - I like riding with cleats but after today I am considering going with cleatless pedals,

What pedals do you currently use? I found that pedals state to be shimano compatible for excample but when I ride my shimano cleats on the Ryder pedals I can not get my feet out.

On the shimano pedals I don't have that problem.

You can also adjust the pedals, and when you get used to cleats you will later find that you can balance better using your feet as an anchor and pulling on the pedals to assist you controlling the bike in the rough stuff.

Guest Smimby

In DH, mostly. In enduro, I'd say 50/50. In xc the bias is quite heavily in favour of cleats. In free ride, trials and dirt jump, flats only.

Mostly it's personal preference but if you ride flats, you WILL be forced to hone your skills and become a better rider.

As I said. Flats all the way. Will never go back to clipless.

So rather than start with an argument why not the OP what Type if riding he does?

You tell him to go flat but then admit that flat and cleats both have a use?

What if the OP rides xc or marathon only?

Guest Smimby

He was not attacking you.

In your first post you said two things:

You said that leaving clipless will be the biggest mistake. How do you know that? The OP did not specify the type of riding he wants to do.

You carried on and said that riding flats will result in eating more gravel. Well that is just ridiculous, if you have ever ridden a good flat pedal/shoe combo you will understand what we are on about.

Just like cptmayhem didn't ask the guy if he wants to bunnyhop like a 12 year old, you didn't ask the guy if he wants to ride endless gravel roads like a middle aged businessman.

If you quote someone and then start your reply with "bull crap" that is an attack in my book also.

Guest Smimby

There is so much fail in your post its not even funny.

1. Disco shoes are not more comfortable.

2. Disco shoes do not give better power transfer.

3. Flat pedals will not cause you to crash more.

And in my opinion that is lots wrong in your reply.

You have more control with clip less

Riding with a power meter will SHOW you the higher power using clip less

I have had some clip pleas shoes that felt better than my slippers!

Why are Hubbard also so condescending ?

FiveTen Freerider shoes

Can be purchased online at www.dialdbikes.co.za

You can also adjust the pedals, and when you get used to cleats you will later find that you can balance better using your feet as an anchor and pulling on the pedals to assist you controlling the bike in the rough stuff.

Using clipless pedals to pull and control the bike = horrible technique

I am not arguing about power transfer, efficiency etc, there clipless is better.

But before you talk about control, rather go ride a flat pedal/shoe combo and learn proper technique before commenting on the use of flat pedals.