Your puns are unassailable

Reading our puns again... "ek skeur my haul"!!! :w00t:

Edited by Latent Blue

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The technological advances are really incredible. Its the first time they are using foils right?

And despite the super sophistication, the races are being won on tactics, plus a bit of luck.

And go Kiwis, one to go. Maybe tonight will be the night?

Yup.

Has always been in monohulls. But the 2010 event became a legal pissing contest between Larry Ellison and the swiss w@nker. The outcome of that was that due to the 1857 rules the court told them to go sort it out on the water. About the only rule that Larry got to set was the maximum size of boat. He says 90ft, and then builds a 90ft trimaran. Ernesto builds a 90ft cat.

They fight and squabble over all sorts of silly stuff.

Larry’s boat is pimping, and really kicking ass in san Francisco during training. Ernesto is still squabbling but finishes building his one and flies it over the alps with a big ass helicopter(had to be built in home country). Then larry’s boat breaks the mast during training.

Ernesto is like we la ka pe la.

Larry pulls out that he’s actually been secretly building a wingsail the whole time, and will now hurry up finishing it now that his boat is sitting on the dock useless. The Canadians have been racing ‘the little america’s cup for years on much smaller cats, with wingsails. They also sail them on ice yachts. The main advantage of wing sail is that it doesn’t deform so is incredibly efficient. They’ve never had a proper budget to play with though. Larry is the 7th richest oke on the planet.

Eventually they finish squabbling and they have TWO grudge match races in Valencia. There’s hardly any wind, but Oracle still smokes Ernesto on the water. (The spoilt brat even decided that he was going to steer the thing in race one). Ernesto is such a low life that he tries to get his regatta officials to stop the start of the second race because it’s not the ideal chop conditions for his boat(true story, the main independent oke had to get the camera man to help him with flags and stuff).

So that’s wingsails. Actually not the first time that they’ve been used in the Cup, that went to dennis conner with stars and stripes, but that is a VERY different story for another day. We’ll have to talk foils some other time too.

Am off to Oliphants Nek Dam in 2 weeks to try and learn how to sail with a friend, he has a lazer, a boat with 2 hulls (cant remember what its called) and a wind surfer, should be a day of amusement for him! I

Talking of technology, Larry knows a thing or two about computers. he owns java amongst other things, and his office is in silicon valley, just round the corner with no shortage of smart dudes. They pull a lot of data off the boat each day, and would be testing on the fly when training. obviously the boat needs to be light, but you need a supercomputer to calculate stuff. So you link wirelessly to a chase boat that can hold a supercomputer and still go 40knots. must have been kiff fun speccing that boat.

one of the problems is that sailing is *** boring on tv. it's never worked. these guys have got it right and this is how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uCjWfTIhMI

Jacque Cousteau was playing with wing sails a while back. I remember a visit from such a yacht in the docks at Cape Town about 20 years ago :o

http://www.cousteau.org/technology/turbosail

So these boats don't have a boom, seems its a kinda split mainsail that pivots in the middle. And these sails are very much like aircraft wings sticking up from the hull, made of fancy materials.

Jib is still a sail as we know it, but it seems spinnakers are thing of the past, its all gone Code Zeros!

Too bad the Kiwis ran out of time last night on the 1st race they were smoking 'em, I think that phased them for the second race, where they made a few mistakes that cost them.

Amazing live feeds off the yachts and overlaid graphics - I am watching a Sky Sports stream which is sort of okay, any other pointers?

the secret weapon in Oracles toolbox:

Sir Ben Ainslie.

All things being equal he is the worlds best sailor.

Pity the Kiwi's are against an Australian team, in US colours, lead by a Brit.

And Emirate Team New Zealand snatches defeat from the jaws of victory!! What a team of chokers,............. absolute losers