Your Enduro ride

Robodog

And my 1.865 kg Pike feels similarly bomb proof although I am sure there are stiffer forks out there that weigh 2kg, not 3.2kg. In general excess weight is a bad idea on a bike - even in DH. 3.2kg is just silly IMO. A boat anchor would be lighter.

Myles, that 66 sounds like the same kind  that was on your stolen Reign? Was it ever recovered? 

Initial impressions are great. It feels planted, tbh. More sure of itself. Dunno whether that's just me, or post pike sale justification, but I'm happy.

And yes - pretty much exactly the same fork. 66rc3 with white lowers vs 66rc3 with white lowers. Wasn't ever recovered, and I don't think it ever will be. I pounced on this one a while ago when I saw it for sale, and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since, waiting for a build that was never gonna happen. 

This was more an experiment than anything else. To see if the emotional attachment I had to my previous Marzo was at all justified. So far, it is. 

Plus - 38mm all the things. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial impressions are great. It feels planted, tbh. More sure of itself. Dunno whether that's just me, or post pike sale justification, but I'm happy.

This was more an experiment than anything else. To see if the emotional attachment I had to my previous Marzo was at all justified. So far, it is.

It's interesting that the 650b wheels fit. Is the gap tiny? I know a 650 fits in a 40 no worries. Not sure of the gaps. Plus with that HA I doubt you are going to get any rubbing on the down tube. Did you test that?

It has to be said. Small bump on a Marzo is so good. The 888 I stole from Maya was amazing.

It's interesting that the 650b wheels fit. Is the gap tiny? I know a 650 fits in a 40 no worries. Not sure of the gaps. Plus with that HA I doubt you are going to get any rubbing on the down tube. Did you test that?

It has to be said. Small bump on a Marzo is so good. The 888 I stole from Maya was amazing.

gap is approx 15mm or so. Which, with 2.35 Magic Mary in the front, is actually amazing. It's more clearance than was on the Pike, if only just. 

And no. No rubbage, though I'll only really be able to test that when I bottom it out completely and I don't ride fast or hard enough to do that on this thing...

yeah - Maya still regrets that!!! I may get some shims made up to fiddle with the shim stack at a later stage. At this point, I'm still playing around with it.  

gap is approx 15mm or so. Which, with 2.35 Magic Mary in the front, is actually amazing. It's more clearance than was on the Pike, if only just.

Cool!

Feel the urge to praise the modern trail fork. especially the RS Pike version which i know. Out this weekend at WVP - braked hard into a gentle rocky curve. Fork just doesn't dive and handled a hard hit on a rock while dealing with the mad braking. It was as if the same amount of travel was still there to deal with the hit. Remarkable! :-)

Feel the urge to praise the modern trail fork. especially the RS Pike version which i know. Out this weekend at WVP - braked hard into a gentle rocky curve. Fork just doesn't dive and handled a hard hit on a rock while dealing with the mad braking. It was as if the same amount of travel was still there to deal with the hit. Remarkable! :-)

RS Pike is next level. Gives me the confidence to let wip over gnarly stuff, while still staying composed and just soaking up the bumps. Truly an amazing piece of technology. 

Speaking of the Pike, got me some new wheels to do it justice.

attachicon.gifIMG_0168.JPG

Whowzers Pike, your bike looks awesome. How about a closeup of that rear mudguard, made my own front ones but struggle with the rear one.

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

Whowzers Pike, your bike looks awesome. How about a closeup of that rear mudguard, made my own front ones but struggle with the rear one.

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

Thanks mate. Also made the fenders from a template I got off the net and a flip file cover. PM me your email and I'll send you the template. 

And yes - pretty much exactly the same fork. 66rc3 with white lowers vs 66rc3 with white lowers. Wasn't ever recovered, and I don't think it ever will be. I pounced on this one a while ago when I saw it for sale, and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since, waiting for a build that was never gonna happen. 

I love the feel of Marz forks. Really are buttery. I have a 55CR Slope on my DJ and am so impressed with it I'd have no problems running any of the 350 models on my big bike. 

I built my Knolly Warden Carbon up in September so thought I'd show and tell a bit as haven't been on here in a while...

Originally going from a 2010 Yeti 575 - QR wheel set, thinnish Alu/carbon rear triangle mix, fox 32 Talas etc - I never understood what people were on about when they said the fork feels noodly or there is noticeable flex in the frame or wheels when cornering etc

Then I built up the Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 Frame - 12x142 rear axle, 15mm front hub with RS Pike (Which I still can’t get my LYRIK to feel as good as by the way but I’m hoping that will change with the MRP Ramp Control Cartridge upgrade going in), FOX CTD Kashima (Later changed to CCDB Coil CS as because I carry heft the FOX CTD just didn’t perform at all having to have it pumped so hard) and the bike was just more burly overall… Only then did I understand the Noodle and flex comments from people. Everything was so much more direct and supportive and it inspired plenty confidence. I upped my riding game in leaps and bounds going to a beefier ride with updated geo… 

Now, the Warden Carbon - I went a tad mad with this build and the only thing I skimped on was probably the Drivetrain, which is SRAM GX as as much as I could justify (I use the word justify loosely) the other extravagant bits, I just didn’t see much value in spending many thousands on weight saving with XO and XX1 as apposed to performance like you’d get from a carbon wheel set, carbon bars, carbon frame, Cranks etc.

I went carbon mad on this and that’s after always saying I’d stick with Alu as I was and to a degree still am a little apprehensive and worried the carbon is just going to give way with a swift snap (Although I know it wont). But I’ve used all burly carbon components and they have without a doubt made a huge difference to the performance and weight of the bike. It’s still not particularly light for all the carbon used but it pedals uphill surprisingly well, no doubt helped by the Four by 4 rear suspension which does not lose traction even when standing and putting the power down on steep climbs and very little bob especially with climb switch engaged. But climbing is not what I built it for and it’s not my strength so as decent as it is, I wouldn’t have cared if it was a bit more of a dog on climbs.

I feel I’m rambling but in the two months that I have had it, my riding has again been pushed quickly to a new level. The ride itself is uber stiff, point it and look ahead and it just tracks, no hesitating, don’t go around things, just monster truck over or through them, it just wants to stay upright and keep move forward. Hakahana is the Gnarliest terrain I’ve ever ridden and as well as the Slayer handled rough and choppy, the Warden eats it up without a stutter and I’m actually peddling through the rough stuff because I can.

It’s long wheelbase and the Derby 40mm wide (35mm Internal width) with high volume tyres inspire crazy confidence. I really can’t say enough great things about this bike. It does everything I want and more. Loves getting airborne and again, super stable in the air. I had to take the Fox Float X2 off because of the recall and luckily I still had my CCDB Coil CS which was the right size so I’ve got that on there now. In all honesty, I doubt the X2 will be going on once returned unless weight is an issue which I haven’t felt is yet. The X2 is awesome and I was totally happy with it and it’s performance (Especially compared to my last two fox air shocks) but damn the coil is something else on this bike and I’ll take the weight penalty for the performance and butteriness it provides. The only thing I still need to dial in more is the fork - As I said above, I'm hoping that the MRP Ramp Control Cartridge is going to help with easier setup and dialling it in for different terrain and riding.

So in short - It feels better and better with each ride and I’m pushing it and myself every ride. It’s ridiculously confidence inspiring, playful, chews up gnarly trails, poised and balanced on the jumps and the war suspension is some kind of magic - Grips like wet **** to a blanket on climbs, in corners and on the sketchiest terrain. And as far as looks go, I feel like the ugly nerd at the school dance with the sexiest model on my arm, people stare and I don’t mind being the ugly thing cramping it’s style. I get so amped each time I take it out to ride and can’t get enough of riding it!!

Specs:

Frame: Knolly Warden Carbon (LARGE)

Fork: RockShox Lyrik (BOOST 110)

Shocks: Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil CS/Fox Float X2

Wheelset: Derby Wide Carbon laced to Hope Pro4 Hubs

Tyres: Front - WTB Outbreak 2.5 Rear - WTB Trail Boss 2.4

Crank: SIXC with 32T Straitline NW

Pedals; Straitline AMP (Ti-Grey/Gold)

Saddle: Joystick Binary Carbon

Bars: Joystick Analog Carbon 35mm x 800mm (Gonna cut down to 780 though)

Stem: Joystick Builder 35mm Dia. 50mm Length

Grips: Joystick Lock-on

Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverbe 150mm

Brakes: SRAM Guide RSC (Front 203/Rear 180)

Here's the build video done at Trailtech in Nelspruit 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZza7vKUUA

Some pics of the build:

post-43699-0-37823700-1479549587_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-84859300-1479549590_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-95748800-1479549592_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-72168600-1479549602_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-08625300-1479549608_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-53770300-1479549611_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-88870900-1479549614_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-02778500-1479549619_thumb.jpg

post-43699-0-41580200-1479549627_thumb.jpg

I built my Knolly Warden Carbon up in September so thought I'd show and tell a bit as haven't been on here in a while...

Here's the build video done at Trailtech in Nelspruit 

Some pics of the build:

I am drooling!! That is one awesome looking ride!