The 100th Edition Of The Tour de France: Chirps, Opinions, News, Updates.

'Dale

Pick the yellow and green jersey winners.  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reign in Yellow?

• Froome Dawg (Sky)
    • Contador (Saxo Tinkoff)
    • A Schleck, Radioshack
    • Evans (BMC)
    • Uran (Sky)
    • Tejay (BMC)
    • Gesink (Blanco)
    • Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp
    • Valverde (Movistar)
    • J Rodriquez (Katusha)
    • Suprize package!
  2. 2. Who will reign in Green?

• Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling)
    • Cav' (Omega Pharma Quickstep)
    • Greipel (Lotto Bellisol)
    • Bouhanni (FDJ)
    • Goss (Orica-Greenedge)
    • Surprize package?

Nice to see Daryl doing so well, really pleased for him......Tony is gonna be hell to live with in the shop though now. :D

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuddles needs a cuddle after losing more than 20 secs on the GC ladder.

I honestly expected BMC to do better than they did, its not a weak team, but Evans was doing long turns on the front to conserve time so I suspect they would have been much worse had he not done so.

Looks like he may find his team a bit "wanting" later in the tour.

I just find it strange that Froome never won a professional race in SA but is now amongst the best... His form took a very sudden upward turn in 2011.

He said he got bilharzia in 2010, then it was treated. Then his upward turn in form. He is still on the drugs which I find strange.

Anyways. Only two drugs which treat bilharzia - Praziquantal and Oxamniquine. Maybe I'm wrong but GC guys generally have a long cv of form since young. With Froome it may be magic

[/size]

I honestly expected BMC to do better than they did, its not a weak team, but Evans was doing long turns on the front to conserve time so I suspect they would have been much worse had he not done so.

Looks like he may find his team a bit "wanting" later in the tour.

Maybe its going to be up to TJ to save the day in the mountains? but we will see. The World Champ hasn't really showed his face up front as yet...

Still gutted about Ted King though, its really a shame "they" couldnt make an exception, like they have done before. He has shown incredible bravery just to continue and make it through the few days until his shoulder recovers.

King’s 7-second elimination from Tour sends wrong message

I just find it strange that Froome never won a professional race in SA but is now amongst the best... His form took a very sudden upward turn in 2011.

He said he got bilharzia in 2010, then it was treated. Then his upward turn in form. He is still on the drugs which I find strange.

Anyways. Only two drugs which treat bilharzia - Praziquantal and Oxamniquine. Maybe I'm wrong but GC guys generally have a long cv of form since young. With Froome it may be magic

Surely in this day and age no prescribed drug that gave a performance advantage wouldn't pass the scrutiny of the powers that be? And Chris has had relapses of the parasite, as recent as the beginning of last year.

To me his success is about talent, genes, attitude, hard work and timing, and staying skinny!

PLEASE PLACE DOPING-RELATED DISCUSSIONS UNDER 'DOPERS' THREAD...

OR OPEN ANOTHER THREAD IF YOU WISH.

This thread is dedicated to the beauty of racing over the next few weeks.

Maybe its going to be up to TJ to save the day in the mountains? but we will see. The World Champ hasn't really showed his face up front as yet...

Still gutted about Ted King though, its really a shame "they" couldnt make an exception, like they have done before. He has shown incredible bravery just to continue and make it through the few days until his shoulder recovers.

King’s 7-second elimination from Tour sends wrong message

Yeah, indeed, ........that article is quite scathing of the decision as well, gives the impression if you are a big name like Cav. you can expect special treatment but if not............snip, out.!

Maybe they will make an exception today, theres been quite an uproar over it. Hope so.

"his ability to continue in the race was entirely dependent on his ability to withstand the pain."

This reminds me of how tough Yolande Speedy was this year... winning the ladies Cape Epic with a broken collarbone and several broken ribs. :eek:

Edited by d@vid

Yeah, indeed, ........that article is quite scathing of the decision as well, gives the impression if you are a big name like Cav. you can expect special treatment but if not............snip, out.!

Maybe they will make an exception today, theres been quite an uproar over it. Hope so.

To think that the circumstances of the crash had lots to do with the bus stuck under the finishing banner.

Exceptions would've been good for anyone that crashed that day - hmmm. But where to draw the line?

Tricky.

Quick question about yesterdays team time trial:

I noticed that some of the teams had bottles and bottle cages on their bikes, in some teams only a few members did, other teams none had any.

Isn't 26min riding time short enough that they wouldn't need or benefit from having a bottle? Surely there is a aero profile cost of having the bottle, and even if the difference is marginal, i.e 3 seconds over 25km, then it still seems like a pretty crucial sacrifice to have made?

Quick question about yesterdays team time trial:

I noticed that some of the teams had bottles and bottle cages on their bikes, in some teams only a few members did, other teams none had any.

Isn't 26min riding time short enough that they wouldn't need or benefit from having a bottle? Surely there is a aero profile cost of having the bottle, and even if the difference is marginal, i.e 3 seconds over 25km, then it still seems like a pretty crucial sacrifice to have made?

One aspect is you don't want to dehydrate at all - then have to recover. It was also quite a hot day.

Telling article here about the Ted King exiting:

The race jury of the Tour de France made a severe and calloused error Tuesday, cutting American Ted King from the race after he finished the stage 4 team time trial seven seconds outside of the maximum time allowed.

READ MORE HERE

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/07/tour-de-france/editorial-kings-7-second-elimination-from-tour-sends-wrong-message_293232

Cav's votes for maillot very creeping up on Sagan's...

Crazy

No way

Impossible

Nuts

(Heehee)

''SAGAN, SMASH..."

Still going to be an interesting contest I think.

Cav has been ill and recovering.

Sagan is sore and recovering from the crash.

The next three sprint stages are going to give a good indication on what is going to happen.

Go the Tourminator.

Long live the Hulk !

230 kms of black stuff today

Undulating

Sprinters' day

GO DARYL

Uhm,

GO SAGAN

One aspect is you don't want to dehydrate at all - then have to recover. It was also quite a hot day.

I can appreciate that, I was under the impression that half an hour is too short to do any damage that cant be quickly reversed from a hydration perspective, and that it takes around 10 minutes for any water you drink to be absorbed, longer the second you add anything to it i.e. energy drink.

Delta t between Orica and Omega was 0.75s, There were three bottles among the Omega riders and, and no bottles cages or bottles in Orica.