Ironman 2014 - 10 Years of Ironman in PE

Garfield2010

I know im nearly in top shape - went for a beer with a friend last night and was little drunk after 2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know im nearly in top shape - went for a beer with a friend last night and was little drunk after 2

Typical male.....cant count properly :whistling:

Typical male.....cant count properly :whistling:

My intentions were not necessarily linked to what happened :thumbup:

I cannot wait. I am paranoid like never before even though I have never been in this good shape.

About Overtraining.... Can we still go crazy this weekend and then taper off the last 2 weeks?

(I plan to swim 8km, Cycle 140km and run a total of 20km)

Come on Garf. Swim 12km, Cycle 180km and run 35km is essential for a strong race.

Stop doing a half job there.

I cannot wait. I am paranoid like never before even though I have never been in this good shape.

About Overtraining.... Can we still go crazy this weekend and then taper off the last 2 weeks?

(I plan to swim 8km, Cycle 140km and run a total of 20km)

Guess it depends on what you're used to.

If that's double your normal load, I wouldn't do it. If it's close to what you normally do then I'd say there's no problem.

Guess it depends on what you're used to.

If that's double your normal load, I wouldn't do it. If it's close to what you normally do then I'd say there's no problem.

100%!

What you doing now is based on what your training has built up towards over months and months of hard work. It should be looked at more as a % of what your normally do than total workout time itself.

Went to the doc yesterday morning after some scratchiness in the throat and ears...Viral infection of upper respirator tract. No training for rest of the week...And I am undercooked as it is.

Well, I wanted to really soak up the day...

Glad you lot are all feeling great. I got hit by ITB after a great half ironman, which really dampened my enthusiasm. Add bike problems (which have put me onto a new set of tribar extensions as I couldn't find the same extensions I had) and work pressure. Aish..

Still, based on my training I can see finishing the bike in good shape, and possibly getting through 25km's of the marathon before falling apart (the ITB has meant my longest runs have been 20's).

Went to the doc yesterday morning after some scratchiness in the throat and ears...Viral infection of upper respirator tract. No training for rest of the week...And I am undercooked as it is.

Well, I wanted to really soak up the day...

the family have got this too !

I have blocked all contact for the next couple of weeks and moved into the spare room ..family dinners via skype :ph34r:

the family have got this too !

I have blocked all contact for the next couple of weeks and moved into the spare room ..family dinners via skype :ph34r:

I think I am getting sick, yes definite scratchy throat, or that could just be a bit of hay fever, a bit of the shakes as well, feeling hot and sweaty and stomach also not feeling right, perhaps just too much coffee. I had a meeting with a dude with a cold last week, hope that I dont get sick from that. This mornings ride was a bit chilly and I got quite cold on the downhills, hope I dont get the flu. Some kid was sick at my son's school, hope he doesn't bring a plague home with him. I almost threw up yesterday and was pretty nauseous, oh wait that was just hearing about how the Prez has shafted us taxpayers. I got this pain in my buttocks hope its not a hammy tear, no thats just the unlubricated feeling of the last petrol price hike.

Oh the last minute paranoia about illnesses

I also have a cold as of this morning. Snotty nose etc but I can still train as long as my body isn't sore or my HR isn't abnormally high.

Actually glad to get it now as it will increase my immune system for the run in to PE.

I also have a cold as of this morning. Snotty nose etc but I can still train as long as my body isn't sore or my HR isn't abnormally high.

Actually glad to get it now as it will increase my immune system for the run in to PE.

I see what you are doing, laying the groundwork for the excuses!

I agree, now is the best time to get sick, a bit of a forced break from training and more than two weeks to get back to full health.

Maybe you guys have some advice for me.

My training has been going pretty well but I have been struggling with discomfort on my bike. I am getting ingrown hairs around my sit bones. I try to keep these as clean as possible, tea tree oil, etc but long rides really take their toll and sometimes the buggers get inflamed and sore. With all the training it has been hard to give them a chance to heal up properly and completely clear. So each ride, after a couple of hours, I find I am putting in more of an effort to try and find a spot that isn't hurting than hard training. :(

I am on a normal road bike with clip-on tri-bars. With small adjustments, I have tried shifting the saddle forward, down, tilted the front of the saddle down but I just can't seem to find something that is working. I am fairly sure the saddle just isn't right for me but I am weary of getting another saddle at this stage.

Any advice? Or do I just put in an effort and hopefully get all healed up during the taper and bear any discomfort on race day?

My training has been going pretty well but I have been struggling with discomfort on my bike. I am getting ingrown hairs around my sit bones. I try to keep these as clean as possible, tea tree oil, etc but long rides really take their toll and sometimes the buggers get inflamed and sore. With all the training it has been hard to give them a chance to heal up properly and completely clear. So each ride, after a couple of hours, I find I am putting in more of an effort to try and find a spot that isn't hurting than hard training. :(

I am on a normal road bike with clip-on tri-bars. With small adjustments, I have tried shifting the saddle forward, down, tilted the front of the saddle down but I just can't seem to find something that is working. I am fairly sure the saddle just isn't right for me but I am weary of getting another saddle at this stage.

Any advice? Or do I just put in an effort and hopefully get all healed up during the taper and bear any discomfort on race day?

Some people are just disposed to this sort of thing. My advise get some good quality shorts / bibs, you need to spend close on a grand in my opinion and use a good chamois cream, something with some antibacterial muti will probably help. You could also try waxing?

You need to clear up the problem. Go and get some good (expensive) cortisone cream, (worked for Lance remember), get a prescription and a TUE in case you make the podium and are tested. Cortisone is banned.

A bit of Bactroban makes it clear up real quick.

Archived