help buying lightweight ROAD wheels at R4k

Furbz

Light wheels were discussed awhile back but cant find thread now in Tech QA. Lightweight means probably below 1500g and as other have mentioned it dont come cheap. A pair of Mavic Aksiums which are bombproof wheels weigh in at 1800g and they cost new about R2900. Your best bet for lightweight and cheap are maybe a secondhand pair of Darkhorse or Chinese blanks. Check Chinese thread for advice. Even second hand wheels gonna be over R4000. Zipp 404's weigh about 1700g and even those second hand a few years old are under 10000 if you lucky to find a pair. Rather save up a bit longer and get some bang for your buck instead if settling for R4000 of dissapointment.

Edited by Cippo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some novatec sprint wheels, 4000km, no problem, they are very light. Cost me 3000 best purchase ever. They weigh 1395g.

Edited by skistar15

post-19822-0-59764600-1369724273_thumb.jpgOk to clarify.These wheels are going on a bike I am building for the other half!Speed and aero are not at the top of the list. Looking at a 4 hour 94.7So I'm looking to make her time going up hills as easy as possibleI'd like them to be clinchers for ease of puncture repair should she be caught out alone.I'd be happy with something around the 1550g mark.Heres a pic of the build. The current wheels with tubes tires and skewers weigh a whopping 3.4kgs Edited by Furbz

i'd love to get some AMC 420's they would look great on this bike, but price??

Apparently CWC will be having some GREAT specials on Road wheels today... :ph34r:

i've been trolling that site for an age... no movement so far....

Edited by Furbz

I got some novatec sprint wheels, 4000km, no problem, they are very light. Cost me 3000 best purchase ever. They weigh 1395g.

more details please?

Am I mistaken or are road wheels quite heavy?

My AM Race are just over 1400g for the set and I'm looking for similar road wheels. Price and weight.

how are Darkhorse wheels? very tempted to save up and buy the 38mm carbon clinchers....

how are Darkhorse wheels? very tempted to save up and buy the 38mm carbon clinchers....

Send a pm to X-Man. He has a set of 38mm Darkhorse wheels. They look great. He will be able to give you more feedback

Send a pm to X-Man. He has a set of 38mm Darkhorse wheels. They look great. He will be able to give you more feedback

shot! i've sent him a pm

more details please?

Message naas on the hub. He sorted me out at argus and helped my friend out with a set to.

Eco bikes I think

Hi Guys

The new 2013 Novatec Sprint wheelsets are on their way and should be available end of July. Thye are now FULLY TUBELESS as well. Also lighter than before at only 1355g a set!

Due to 2013 price increases and ZAR taking a hammering the the price will be about R4995 a set...